Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2024, 05:59 AM

I Went Into Atrial Fibrillation

I've seen discussions on this forum about this but I sure's heck didn't think it'd ever happen to me. Felt a weird fluttering sensation in my chest and took my pulse. It was irregular and all over the place. Went to the ER and EKG showed A-Fib. Was put on Beta Blocker and anticoag for now. I see a Cardiologist later today.I asked to get whacked (cardioverted) in the ER but they said no, not until after I visit the Cardiologist. I feel OK, asymptomatic...maybe a little exertional dyspnea but that it's. My God, I hope I somehow convert back to RSR while on Beta Blocker. Please, anyone kindly chime in with encouraging words.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 08-16-2024 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Yikes. Glad to hear you caught that in a controlled manner.

It seems to be a pretty common problem, Hope you get it sorted out quickly Jeff!
Old 08-15-2024, 06:37 AM

Hang in there. You’ll likely convert back to sinus on your own. I’ve dealt with paroxysmal AFib for 37 years. First episodes were when I was about 18 and I was diagnosed at 22.
I’ve been an active “lifelong athlete” despite it. It is annoying as hell but one of the “best” arrhythmias to have if you have to have one. Treated and controlled it can be lived with.
Like you, I tolerate my episodes well (I went 12 years between my last two sustained episodes [hours rather than just a few seconds of floppiyness].
Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I've seen discussions on this forum about this but I sure's heck didn't think it'd ever happen to me. Felt a a weird fluttering sensation in my chest and took my pulse. It was irregular and all over the place. Went to the ER and EKG showed A-Fib. Was put on Beta Blocker and anticoag for now. I see a Cardiologist later today.I asked to get whacked (cardioverted) in the ER but they said no, not until after I visit the Cardiologist. I feel OK, asymptomatic...maybe a little exertional dyspnea but that it's. My God, I hope I somehow convert back to RSR while on Beta Blocker. Please, anyone kindly chime in with encouraging words.
Many instances of A-Fib and A-fltter here. Most important thing to take is an anti-coagulant..I take Eliquis. Little surprised they didn't put you on an anti-arrhythmia drug...I have taken Amiodrone and am now on Tikosyn. The beta blocker is for a high HR but not specifically anti-Afib.

But yes, before they do the cardioversion, they need to find out the possible causes of the A-fib...whether it be structural or electrical.

Yes, feels weird and scary but simple A-Fib is seldom really dangerous.

The 'triggers' for me were caffeine and alcohol..so I take neither now.

My first episodes(First was in 2009, I was 58yo), it converted by itself after taking Eliquis and I think Rythmol(sp?)..after about 15 hours..I was in the ER..

Then I started having it more frequently..Had my first cardioverson in 2010...Nothing until 2019, then about 1-2 per month. Meds didn't help, cardioversion not long lasting. First ablation in 2020, second in 2023, third also in 2023....been fine since...

Meds, NO anything that could cause an episode. Not even caffeine free coffee or NA beer(they still have some).

A-Flutter(regular but very high HR), related to Afib but a different problem. Simple Afib, altho scary, not that dangerous BUT YES, see a cardiologist.

PM or email if you have any questions or would like to yak more about it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2024 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:46 AM

I’ll add, the nice thing about modern blood thinners like Eliquis is that you can start them when an episode occurs and then discontinue them when you revert back to sinus rhythm.
Because of cycling, skiing, etc, I refuse to be on blood thinners full time. I’d opt for ablation long before accepting permanent blood thinner therapy.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
I’ll add, the nice thing about modern blood thinners like Eliquis is that you can start them when an episode occurs and then discontinue them when you revert back to sinus rhythm.
Because of cycling, skiing, etc, I refuse to be on blood thinners full time. I’d opt for ablation long before accepting permanent blood thinner therapy.
I had a episode of pulmonary embolism, not related to Afib in 2016..been on Eliquis ever since and take the lowest dose, 5mg, twice per day and have zero side effects..including not really excess bleeding, like if I cut myself.

NOT a doc but if A-Fib is frequent enough to need an ablation(I have had 3), I'd think the heart doc would keep you on it..IMHO.

Letting A-Fib go w/o a 'blood thinner' can lead to a stroke..

Just my case and my opinion...afib is pretty common for the heart docs.
Old 08-15-2024, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I know when I have it and when I don’t.
99.9% of the time I’m not in AFib so no risk of stroke etc. When I have it I take Eliquis.
If/when it becomes obnoxious I’m sure there’ll be a period of time I’ll have to be on blood thinners until I can get it ablated ASAP.

Again, being basically a pediatric case of lone paroxysmal AFib, and having lived a “normal” active athletic life with it for the past 37 years, my outlook and approach is unique to my particular flavor of AFib. (I have been on Sotalol since I was 25.)

To the OP, I highly recommend doing a lot of your own research and being a strong advocate for your own care. Don’t hesitate to see multiple cardiologists to get a variety of perspectives, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

NOT a doc but if A-Fib is frequent enough to need an ablation(I have had 3), I'd think the heart doc would keep you on it..IMHO.

Letting A-Fib go w/o a 'blood thinner' can lead to a stroke..

Just my case and my opinion...afib is pretty common for the heart docs.

Last edited by zero85ZEN; 08-15-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2024, 07:36 AM

Jeff,
It's not exactly A-fib, but I was recently diagnosed with supra-ventricular tachycardia (SVT).

I was having a sort of runaway tachycardia while on bike rides, especially after a difficult climb. I wore a halter monitor for two weeks which showed multiple episodes of SVT with heart rates as high as 220/min. I was taking a beta blocker (propranolol) before rides in order to counter the tachycardia (it's a negative chronotrope). However, since it slows heart rate, it makes it very difficult for me to ride with any strength at all.

I see a cardiologist soon and will probably be on some beta blocker like metoprolol which also seems to have some anti-arrhythmic properties. Not sure I would be able to ride on that due to it's negative chronotropic effects. Not thrilled about the anti-arrhythmic, amiodarone, due to it's tendency to cause pulmonary toxicity in some people. Most docs prescribing amiodarone for patients, also prescribe regular pulmonary function tests to check for this pulmonary toxicity. When I was at WMC, I did many PFTs on amiodarone patients.

Anyway, we will see. Good luck with your A-fib.

Dave
Old 08-15-2024, 08:19 AM

Jeff - good luck getting it sorted out. It is generally very manageable.

I had my first AFib episode in early 2019 at 49 and had an electrical cardioversion. Subsequent to the AFib episode I was also diagnosed with central sleep apnea, which can contribute to AFib and was prescribed CPAP therapy. Given my age and history, I came off all meds after a year, continued the CPAP, and had a second episode late in 2020, and a second cardioversion shortly thereafter. Back on Pradaxa (anticoagulant), Rhythmol (hearty rhythm control), and Cardizem (heart rate control) at this point. I had a third extended episode that responded to medication in 2022. I came off the Cardizem because it lowered my BP too much in 2022. Only one brief episode, less than 24 hours, since then. Ealier this year after some debate with my cardiologist, and given my history, the best path forward was decided to keep me on Pradaxa pretty much indefinitely, and Rhythmol for at least another year.

I haven't been able to identify a trigger, but have made some lifestyle changes - very little alcohol and cleaned up my diet (even thought it was pretty good), which really helped with my cholesterol (bonus!).

Crashing is a legit concern with any anticoagulant, but my understanding is that Pradaxa is one of the newer anticoagulants that is rapidly reversible, with an injection of vitamin K, IIRC. I find that to be an acceptable trade off versus the risk of a stroke. You will bruise more easily - even a minor crash will look major. I've also not had any issues with bleeding following common kitchen mishaps.

I'm still riding, hiking, fishing, and living life as before, but with maybe a little more awareness. I'm not planning on picking up skydiving or BASE jumping at this point.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Last edited by jasflyfisher; 08-15-2024 at 08:20 AM. Reason: need to include all the words
Old 08-15-2024, 08:59 AM

A fib

I woke up with a fib/a flutter. Dizzy. Went away by afternoon. But was having palpitations walking and sitting. All new to me. Telephone nurse said go to urgent care/er. Have some electrical issues - rt. branch block of which there are few studies. Av1 issue. Patch showed a few palpitations a day. Cardiogram "essentially" normal.

I gradually increased exercise. Backed off anything that leaves me completely drained like intervals. But heart rate gets up there as before. In time palpitations seem less
frequent. I watch for it after riding. Gradual cool down was added to training. Never had a fib/flutter again. Am thinking it may be covid related as none of this showed up before covid.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience, Jeff. I haven't had it, but the way it came on for you makes me wonder if it's in my future. Have you had any type of indications of heart issues in previous doctor visits? Or any family experience with it? Definitely is something you can live with these days, but I know it's still a downer. Hang it there - and keep hanging out here. Lots of folks here who have dealt successfully with it.
Old 08-15-2024, 10:18 AM

I have an appointment with Cardiologist today. I will opt for cardioversion if I don't convert on my own. I certainly hope I do but so go so far. I'm a retired RN (36 years) and have assisted in many cardioversions over the years, all successful with low (50 Watt Secs) zaps. I'm now on low dose Beta Blocker (Lopressor) and anticoag (Pradaxa). I'll keep y'all posted. MANY thanks to all those who've chimed in!!! (BTW, for those wondering, I'm 75 y/o.)
Old 08-16-2024, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I have an appointment with Cardiologist today. I will opt for cardioversion if I don't convert on my own. I certainly hope I do but so go so far. I'm a retired RN (36 years) and have assisted in many cardioversions over the years, all successful with low (50 Watt Secs) zaps. I'm now on low dose Beta Blocker (Lopressor) and anticoag (Pradaxa). I'll keep y'all posted. MANY thanks to all those who've chimed in!!! (BTW, for those wondering, I'm 75 y/o.)
Good luck..yes, cardioversions are pretty routine..Hope it sticks. As you know, Atrial fib and flutter not nearly as serious as Ventricular based issues. A SVT can be deadly.

Yup, better living thru chemistry..My med 'routine' is proving to be effective, hope yours will be too. I'm 73yo, btw...
Old 08-16-2024, 03:37 PM

A fib

Diagnosed a decade or so ago. Not a drinker but gave up caffeine and went on low dose beta blocker and eliguis. Occasional episodes but mostly good. Consider ablation but doc says as infrequent as my afib is that I should wait? Feel free to message any questions but mostly it has not been a big problem.

Those on eliguis… talk to your pharmacist about the discount plan. I think you renew every couple years but my cost dropped 90% per month. You might also be able to sign up online?
Old 08-16-2024, 04:47 PM

You may want to ask about Flecainide. Works well for many with both afib & svt.

Some even use it as a pill in the pocket solution.

Also does not limit you while exercising like a beta blocker does

Anyway you might want to read up on it.
Good Luck