Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2024, 06:10 PM

Favorite ~35c Tubeless Slick

I ride my Crux on the road quite a bit, currently with 32c Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR. They are quite nice, but I think the handling would benefit from something a little bit bigger, and something a bit more robust may be in order given that all of Austin is under construction and all the roads/shoulders are covered in debris.

I've mainly been looking at the 35c Conti Grand Prix 5000 All Season TR, but also considering the Vittoria Corsa N.EXT TLR in 34c or the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass. Any others that people here have been happy with?
Old 08-24-2024, 06:42 PM

Love the Rene Herse Bon Jon.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:52 PM

me too last six months Conti AS

I had good luck with these from Lordgun. Otherwise sorta way pricey. Expect a tight fit.

https://www.lordgun.com/continental-...xoCB3AQAvD_BwE
Old 08-24-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
I ride my Crux on the road quite a bit, currently with 32c Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR. They are quite nice, but I think the handling would benefit from something a little bit bigger, and something a bit more robust may be in order given that all of Austin is under construction and all the roads/shoulders are covered in debris.

I've mainly been looking at the 35c Conti Grand Prix 5000 All Season TR, but also considering the Vittoria Corsa N.EXT TLR in 34c or the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass. Any others that people here have been happy with?
I dig the N.EXT tires for everything rough stuff including commuting in Chicago and light gravel. 34C on 25i rims measure 36mm

Nice
Old 08-24-2024, 08:19 PM

They are a pain in the to mount the first time, but I find nothing rides and grips as well as the Challenge Strada Bianca’s in 33 or 36. I have no problem running them on pretty fast road rides, or using them on mixed surface dirt road rides. They’re absolutely perfect for an off road bike on the road, just a bit tough to mount the first time. I actually just stuck a set in 36 on my Mosaic and am loving it for more grip on the road, and previously used the 30s and 33s on my Treks.

Other option would be a Corsa Pro Control in 34, as I’ve found they grip a bit better in the rough stuff than the N.EXTs for me but I’ve only used them in 28s. I haven’t been as impressed with the Rene Herse and for tubeless have had better luck with Challenge or Vittoria.
Old 08-24-2024, 08:28 PM

Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass extra light is great with latex tubes. I would run endurance casings tubeless.
Old 08-24-2024, 08:31 PM

GP5k as in 35mm is great.
Old 08-24-2024, 09:31 PM

Bon Jon. Tons of happy miles on them
Old 08-24-2024, 10:48 PM
n - 1

I’ve been quite enjoying Pirelli P Zero in 700x32. On 24mm ID rims, they measure 34mm. Fast and plush.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:39 AM

I do not have a lot of experience with tires this wide. I have used Panaracer GK slick and semi-slick, and Continental Contact ll plus. I like both of the GK's, with the semi-slick being really good for multi surface/all purpose use. Both have a very nice ride quality good durability. Overall, I give a slight edge to the SS, due to it being more versatile and better protection. And, really close to the ride of the slick on good pavement. Likely no difference when up to speed.
The Contact ll are a very heavy duty tire with thick threading. They weigh close to 1.5 lbs per tire. The ride is not bad, but can be a bit harsh when inflated when inflated to the upper psi level. The weight is really felt when accelerating and going uphill. But, I have quite a few miles on them, they still are in very good shape with minimal tread wear. I can remember only 1 flat. That came when riding an easy off road trail, and was from a strand from a tire cord.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:04 AM

Throwing Schwalbe G One Speed 35mm into the ring. I ran the 30mm model for years on my all-road bike and am loving this wider version on my gravel bike for primarily road use. They measure 36mm on 19mm ID rims
Old 08-25-2024, 07:43 AM

I like the Ultradynamico Cava Race in 33, 39 and 42 on my CruX.
https://ultradynamico.com/collection...ucts/cava-race
Old 08-25-2024, 07:44 AM

corsa pro in 34mm
Old 08-25-2024, 08:38 AM

Road riding mostly, between my two bikes I run GP5000 32 (once the rear is worn I'll get a AR35), Corsa Pro Control 32&34 and GK Slick 32&35 depending on ....who knows. All with latex tubes.
I used the Veloflex Corsa Evo in 28 only and liked them, I plan to get the 32s at some point soon.
I like all of them, GK are a little bit slower both in measured speed and feel but inflates to the highest volume so are more comfortable. I love these on old, cracked, imperfect roads, they just float over everything.
I guess the short of it is, we're kind of spoiled with choice when it comes to nice tires. Doubt you'd be disappointed with any. (in my experience disappointment only followed high expectations)

Edit: Apropos disappointment, I was expecting (hoping) the Corsa Pro Controls to inflate to at least the stated size, 34mm, on 23mm IW rims but are barely 32mm @55-60PSI

Last edited by Strain; 08-25-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:11 PM

I just mounted the New 2024 Gravel King slick R on 25inner rim Levante's (also on a Crux). I Haven't ridden enough to comment on performance, however the tires mounted flawlessly without sealant. Apparently Panaracer re-designed the bead for these new tubules ready tires and they hold air and mount quite well. FWIW the tire width on 25mm inner rims equates to 37.5mm

I'm on the fence about using sealant vs TPU tubes for this size tire and pressure. Leaning toward TPU tubes. Curious on others thoughts about this.