Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

thinking about a new Garmin head unit. Bring me up to speed

So I've been a Garmin guy for several years now, and since I don't want to learn a new system, I guess I just want recommendations for an upgrade within the Garmin world.

I've had a trusty 520 edge plus for at least 5 seasons now and just wondering if it would be worth it to splurge on an upgrade to that, and if so, what model?

There are so many more options now than the last time I thought about this issue so I need help.

It's probably easier to say what I don't need than what I do so I don't need power (though I assume most of them do this anyhow). I used to use a HR monitor but lately have not bothered.

I suppose a larger screen is probably warranted given my presbyopia which would allow me to put the most important data points I want on the first couple of screens. Beyond that, I don't know what I want.

Ease of set-up and adjustment would be good since the 520 is still difficult to re-connect to bluetooth whenever there is an issue. Not sure why that happens from time to time.

Battery life is somewhat important since I don't want to have to charge it every few rides.

Thoughts?
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

I went from a 520 to a 830 to now a 1040. The big screen is so much more useful, especially while viewing trail maps while MTB’ing. The “climb pro” function is awesome and there is no way would I give up the touchscreen at this point.

I feel like i hardly ever have to charge the battery on the 1040 it lasts a long time even with many concurrent bluetooth connections. Most importantly, the processing time on the newer units is sooooo much faster than on the 520.
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

The Edge 1040 is on sale now at BTD... 20% off

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

I admit I’ve never maximized the use of my Garmin. I used an Edge 800 for 10+ years and a year ago got a 1030+. The bigger screen is a game changer. I never really used route navigation because I couldn’t see the prompts without using my readers. When I go on tours with my buddies now, I’m one of the guys who is able to know where the next turn is! Battery life is good with ability to go a couple of full days of riding at least without needing to recharge.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

IMO, the 1040 or 1050 is the way to go. The extra screen real estate is helpful, especially if you use a PM or like a lot of data fields displayed. I’ve used both the 1040 and the 1050. The 1050 screen is much crisper and clearer, but I’ve found that I have to keep the backlight on all of the time because the screen is unreadable without it in bright sunlight (it is on by default out of the box). This wasn’t true with the 1040, and I only used the backlight inside or in dark conditions. I thought this could be a problem with the 1050 initially, but it hasn’t been and the battery has performed solidly. Even after a few 6+ hour rides, the battery level still was over 90%. I typically plug my Garmin into my PC or recharge after every ride in any event.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

been through a whole bunch always going for bigger screen as I use the mapping function a ton on my bike tours. 1040 does everything fast. Screen switching, loading routes, etc. Screen is easy to read...easier than 1030+ even with the same size screen. User interface is not the most logical in my estimation but over the many models it all sort of works the same and it's learnable. On the other hand, I prob use less than 20% of the functions available. With a route loaded I have one screen of data with 9 fields, the cue sheet and the map. That's all I use.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

I have a 1030 Plus and would tend to agree the huge map view is pretty spectacular mountain biking.

Mine has this super annoying bug though... the electronic compass will stop working. Then if you pull over on the trails to look at the map it loses your orientation which can be confusing. It requires a reboot to make it go away. But a reboot makes you stop your activity.

But the quality of the maps is also just ridiculous. Better than Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.. the way they combine Trailforks and OpenStreetMaps trails is just

The big thing the big screen + map quality does for me is really encourage me to explore, not get into ruts of always taking the same roads/trails, etc..
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

1040 all day. Metal mounting tab for the win.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

I have a 130 plus and really like it for its small size.
I recently got a Varia and now I am thinking it would be nice to have a model that has red / green indicators for the radar.
Also ability to adjust the radar alert sound volume which the 130 Plus does not have. I turned off the sound which I find annoying and use the Varia app on my Iphone instead.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

My fenix 3 finally died this year so I got an 840

I like how I can customize info on the screen, the touch screen and the mtb functions. Mapping is Kool and I really like how it interacts with all my sram etap. I have good eyes, siz is OK for me

On the fence... 2nd thoughts about not getting the solar
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Garmin

I did not love the 840 Solar. Screen is not so bright and not so big.
Early days, but so far I like the 1050. Big screen. Pretty easy to use. So many screens and features that the big job is figuring out what to turn off.
Cool thing about Garmin 840, 1040 and now 1050 is that you can use Connect IQ to add Aps to further customize. One of the things that I didn't like was that you could only have 2 parameters visible at the bottom of the map screen. With the Connect IQ App you can add 4 or 6 parameters.
Old Today, 05:51 AM

A Edge 540 user here. Not solar since the higher price verses how well the solar works is not worth it. Also run a RTL515 radar unit and Garmin Rally pedals. I don't do specific training workouts with them or race anymore. I'm just a hopeless data junkie. I also wear cheap generic bi focal cheater sunglasses so I can read the computer. +2 on the bottom and no prescription on the top. Still have 20-15 distance vision since Lasik in 2000.

Last edited by JMT3; Today at 05:53 AM.
Old Today, 06:10 AM
Vendor

I use an Edge Explore 2. It’s simple, and does what I need: Maps, a radar headunit, accident alerts to friends via text, and a clock. It also does a surprising lot of other stuff—power, cadence, hr, road hazards, live tracking, etc. As well as the basic speed, distance, and altimeter measurements. It doesn’t do many training metrics, but I don’t care about those and don’t use any hr, power, or cadence sensors, so don’t miss them.
Overall very good experiences, and they are like $300 with touch screen.
Old Today, 06:33 AM

Waiting for an 850 to replace my 830. Love the brighter screen of the 1050, but don't need the additional size...

...hoping that the 850 is actually a thing...
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old Today, 06:57 AM

How about using the touch screen with winter gloves? Seems like that would be a problem. The heaviest cycling gloves don't have a touch screen compatible finger. I've got a 530 that uses push buttons. A wireless blip mated to the computer might be a solution. I never use GPS.