Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 01:16 AM

SPD pedals with platforms

Thinking of making one of my bikes SPD again (been running Speedplays for years now) mainly to consider pedal options with platforms around it. Been thinking of turning my old road bike into a "commuter".

1) Does the platform help with stability when pedaling and not wearing shoes with clips (ie. just hopping on it to run some errands)

2) Any of these pedals have platforms that are removable? Seems like the Shimano ones are integrated/permanent.

Looking at the Shimano PD-ME700, PD-M530 and PD-M424 options but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:47 AM

There are some shimano pedals that come with one side SPD and one side flat.

There are also aftermarket SPD cleat mounted platforms that you can install on an SPD pedal.
Old 09-17-2024, 04:19 AM

Fly Pedals

I have a set of these, which I deploy from time to time for platform riding. You attach the cleat for your SPD pedal or whatever you use (I use generally ATAC), and snap the thing in place. They work well enough, and unsnap when you don’t need them.

https://www.flypedals.com/
Old 09-17-2024, 07:25 AM

add your own

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SPD-P...S6-&hvexpln=73
Old 09-17-2024, 07:59 AM

I had the Shimano SM-PD22 but found it was just way too small and didn't feel stable.

The PD-A530 was a bit better but it's slippery when wet.
Never tried the EH500 pedal which looks to be the same but with grub screw spikes.

I use flat Saint pedals which was a nice big surface with spikes.

If you can find a clip on platform that's got a large surface area with spikes then that would be ideal IMO.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I have tried some of these, they're okay. I found you need to use a flathead screwdriver to remove them.

I have two bikes with the older XT M8000 dual sided pedals, the older ones without pins. They work pretty well but foot can slip in the wet (I assume the pinned ones are better i this regard). I found those much better than the A530s.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
There are some shimano pedals that come with one side SPD and one side flat.

There are also aftermarket SPD cleat mounted platforms that you can install on an SPD pedal.
I have the dual sided ones (PD-A530). I have them in my stash but they're not actually on a bike right now.

They kind of suck as they're not great in any particular way. They have so much promise, but yet they are simultaneously always annoying. They are worse than normal SPDs cause you have to futz with the pedal to clip in.
But they are also worse used as flats. Basically the design causes them to never align in a useful way when you go to start out. Whether you are clipping in or using the flat side you basically always have to get one foot in before you start, and then you have to flip the other one to get your foot on/in as you start.

The bike I would use these on just has some huge crank brothers flats on it right now.

I find my bike fit changes a little between flats and SPDs anyway, so you're always compromising one or the other switching back and forth. I think I just prefer the pedal spindle further back on my foot with flats, which effectively shortens my leg, so I like a shorter saddle height.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP is referring to mtb pedals with a larger platform around the pedal, not dual-sided, half-clipless, half platform. I have not experienced any difference with spd pedals with a larger cage around the outside. Perhaps it's the shoes I wear. I'd just get m520s if you just need spds.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP is referring to mtb pedals with a larger platform around the pedal, not dual-sided, half-clipless, half platform. I have not experienced any difference with spd pedals with a larger cage around the outside. Perhaps it's the shoes I wear. I'd just get m520s if you just need spds.
I assumed otherwise given the comment of riding with regular shoes.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:44 AM

He's talking about a way to use it as a commuter though and sometimes not wear bike shoes.

I don't think any of these options are really going to help as the SPD still protrudes above the rest of the pedal body and the outer pedal body doesn't really help unless you're wearing a bike shoe with the recessed cleat.

The whole point of SPDs with a platform is to distribute force more evenly and help you get riding again while you clip in. It's not really to make the pedal work well with either regular shoes or SPD-cleated bike shoes.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I have the dual sided ones (PD-A530). I have them in my stash but they're not actually on a bike right now.

They kind of suck as they're not great in any particular way. They have so much promise, but yet they are simultaneously always annoying. They are worse than normal SPDs cause you have to futz with the pedal to clip in.
But they are also worse used as flats. Basically the design causes them to never align in a useful way when you go to start out. Whether you are clipping in or using the flat side you basically always have to get one foot in before you start, and then you have to flip the other one to get your foot on/in as you start.

The bike I would use these on just has some huge crank brothers flats on it right now.

I find my bike fit changes a little between flats and SPDs anyway, so you're always compromising one or the other switching back and forth. I think I just prefer the pedal spindle further back on my foot with flats, which effectively shortens my leg, so I like a shorter saddle height.
I hear this a lot about dual sided pedals. I rode PD-EH500 pedals for a while, and they didn't really bother me. They appear to be an updated version of the PD-A530.

If you're going to be constantly taking your feet on and off the pedals, whether riding, road, gravel, or MTB, I can see the frustration of them being a worst of all worlds pedal - we tend to only remember when they're in the wrong position to start not when they're in the right position. But if you're either almost always clipped in or almost always on the flats, then I don't see the issue.

In my experience, it all comes down to how often you're mounting/dismounting the pedals. If you're constantly mounting and dismounting, then changing pedals before a ride is probably a better solution.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:09 PM

Bought a pair of Shimano Deore T8000 trekking pedals two months ago.
Awesome. Game changing. Best touring pedals ever. Used them on a week-long gravel tour, no foot pain.

Half SPD (MTB type) half flat. Better sole support for those of us with neuropathy issues in the toe area. Really like ‘em for long days in the saddle. Flat side means you can use them with street shoes or sneakers after changing out of bike clothes.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Awesome. Game changing.
Count me in on the T8000 camp. I've been on a pair for 7 years on my commuter bike(s) and they've been utterly reliable.

This question was last asked 4 months ago, check this thread for additional discussion.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:47 PM

I have XT trail pedals that are similar to the PD-ME700 and PD-M530 where there is a cage around the SPD pedal mechanism. They work in a pinch with regular shoes, but I wouldn't regularly use regular shoes on them. The SPD pedal mechanism sticks up too much.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Awesome. Game changing. Best touring pedals ever. Used them on a week-long gravel tour, no foot pain.

Half SPD (MTB type) half flat. Better sole support for those of us with neuropathy issues in the toe area. Really like ‘em for long days in the saddle. Flat side means you can use them with street shoes or sneakers after changing out of bike clothes.
Given that it only has one SPD side do you have to toe in first before clipping in? Or can you just wiggle and press down to clip in?