Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 05:42 AM

Interesting NJ law

Just came across these 2 laws for riding a bike in NJ:
39:4-11 Audible Signal.
A bicycle must be equipped with a bell or other audible device that can be heard at least 100 feet away, but not a siren or whistle.

39:4-11.1 Brakes.
A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that can make wheels skid while stopping on dry, level, clean pavement.

Any nJ riders have a bell? Guess antilock bike brakes are not happening. I’ve broken many bike laws apparently! Add to that no brake lights at night and sometimes a lack of a helmet, no bell and iffy brakes….
Old Today, 07:21 AM
Administrator

That is interesting. I've never heard that before either, but a quick search confirms:

https://www.nj.gov/transportation/co...gulations.shtm

I always assumed that bikes needed to have reflectors, which is why every new bike is sold with reflectors front/rear and usually on the pedals.

I would have thought if this was a law in NJ all new bikes would similarly be sold with a bell, but I dont think they are? Been a long time since I bought a new bike in NJ, though now that I think about it I did buy my son a new kids bike a REI a number of years ago and if I remember right it did come with a bell.

Please also note: No "fancy" riding in the street, please
Old Today, 07:26 AM

I have heard of a police officer giving a ticket for no bell rather than one for going through a stop sign.
Old Today, 07:37 AM

If I recall correctly, around 2010, the NJ officers would occasionally ticket cyclists coming across the GW. They get you for no bell, no reflector. I was never aught up in this, but I had a friend get tickets. He thought it was a joke at first.
Old Today, 08:08 AM

I’m good! Got a Spurcycle Frankenbell on every one of my eight bikes except for the Raleigh 20 folder. But no reflectors. Does a rear light count instead?
Old Today, 08:11 AM

New York has similar laws: https://dmv.ny.gov/new-york-state-dr...aring-the-road. Here in central NY, I’ve never heard of anyone ticketed for not having a bell. One local village is known for “bicycle law enforcement.” It’s a very wealthy place with lots of NIMBY citizens who feel bicycles are an annoyance. They are noted for ticketing riders who don’t make complete stops at red lights and stop signs. On group rides, we always warn new riders to unclip and make full stops there.

Greg
Old Today, 08:44 AM
slower than you

More gruel for the disc vs rim brake argument.
Old Today, 08:46 AM

The laws have been on the books a long time but I can’t remember ever hearing of a cop issuing a summons for no audible device.

There is a similar law for having a light on your bike and that is more commonly enforced. Particularly in urban areas where stick-up kids used to ride around, masked up, on bicycles at night. Nowadays those kids are more likely to use an electric scooter or e-bike.

For context, I’ve worked law enforcement in NJ for 26 years.
Old Today, 09:58 AM

Massachusetts has laws covering similar aspects of bicycle operation, but they are more sensible than the New Jersey Laws. Here's the Massachusetts laws regarding audible signals and brakes:

Section 11B:
Quote:
(3) The operator shall give an audible warning whenever necessary to insure safe operation of the bicycle; provided, however, the use of a siren or whistle is prohibited.
(7) Every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface.
So, audible signaling is required, but it doesn't have to be a bell, the cyclist can use their voice.

And the braking regulation specifies an actual safe stopping distance, rather than simply skidding wheels (which is often unsafe).
Old Today, 10:09 AM

I did a lot of bike commuting while in the Navy. Most bases required a bell. I had a fancy bell with a compass. In the PNW, I could just tap the brake levers and my Avid Shorty brakes would be louder than a bell. Some states require reflectors and others require a headlight and taillight after dusk. In VA, I was flagged over by the police because my taillight was "too bright and distracting." It was a Trek branded disco something light and I pointed out that I was only following the law. I loved that light. After I broke it, I used two Super flash lights.
Old Today, 10:47 AM

You can make a disc or rim-brake bike skid quite easily -- just use full pressure and back brake only.

The bell law has been around for a while. Put one of those bar-end Canyon doodads on my road bike.

In case you're interested, helmets are also required by law up in Rockland County as well.. on the topic of getting NYC'ers (or NJ ers) for a ticket when crossing boundaries.
Old Today, 11:19 AM

Rather than venting about the legal system when it comes to cycling, I’ll just say that l’ve been putting bells on all my bikes after starting off-road. People don’t always hear the ring, but when they do, they are appreciative. I was afraid that walkers would feel like they are being told to get out of the way. Turns out they don’t like being surprised.

I bought a Trek e-bike recently that came with a bell. I think the reflectors are mandated Federally by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Don’t know about bells.
Old Today, 11:28 AM
Randomhead

I heard of a case where someone got out of a ticket because they could shout. Shouting is very effective. I was once riding in the middle of nowhere and someone drove at high speed through a stop sign. I was at a distance. I shouted, just because I was interested in what would happen. They heard me.