Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 12:45 PM

Palos Verdes land movement

I rode this area almost daily when I lived in Hermosa Beach. It was a beautiful loop with climbs and views. Anyone there is it bad on palos verdes drive?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/02/u...os-verdes.html
Old 09-03-2024, 12:52 PM

I'm sure local folks will chime in, but I also rode it for years when I lived in the South Bay and was most recently through there over Memorial Day weekend. The pavement is definitely worse than I recalled, but still still rideable.

In an odd twist, all the land slippage has actually created new coastline where it didn't exist previously: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ting-new-beach
Old 09-03-2024, 01:20 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
I rode this area almost daily when I lived in Hermosa Beach. It was a beautiful loop with climbs and views. Anyone there is it bad on palos verdes drive?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/02/u...os-verdes.html
YouTube has lots of vids, from the beginnings to very recent of the situation in Palos Verdes.
Old 09-03-2024, 01:50 PM

rode it yesterday - it's plenty rideable but there is a short stretch that's rough, on PVD south between the wayfarer chapel and trump national, some new tarmac has patched up the worst of it. that same section and for a mile or 2 prior there are signs saying the bike lane is closed. despite riding faster than most cars can navigate this little stretch it didn't stop a driver for pulling up next to me to tell me "no bikes allowed"

can't read the article but ya, apparently it's all slipping into the ocean. right now they are dismantling the chapel and trying to find a place to move it to? riding buddy wanted to check it out but there was a guard out front not letting anyone up the drive

Last edited by br0qn; 09-03-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 03:23 PM

While officially closed to two wheeled vehicles, including bikes, people ride it without getting ticketed.

Whether one rides is based on one's own risk/benefit calculations.
The road seems to be getting repaved weekly.
Comments heard include using "all" their MTB skills depending on how long it has been since the last repair.
I know a few people who have broken bones riding since the landslide picked up.

Chapel is dismantled and long gone.

There are many other ways to ride with great views in PV, & personally I won't take that risk & I ride there near weekly.

If someone wants to ride PV but wants to avoid the landslide area, I can give you a nice approximately 45 mile 4500 ft (starting at the Redondo Pier) that stays mainly on the West side and has great views.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:12 PM

That looks like a big disaster that is going cost a lot.
I never rode there, but did do a marathon there around 1976.
There was not a flat spot on the whole course.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
While officially closed to two wheeled vehicles, including bikes, people ride it without getting ticketed.

Whether one rides is based on one's own risk/benefit calculations.
The road seems to be getting repaved weekly.
Comments heard include using "all" their MTB skills depending on how long it has been since the last repair.
I know a few people who have broken bones riding since the landslide picked up.

Chapel is dismantled and long gone.

There are many other ways to ride with great views in PV, & personally I won't take that risk & I ride there near weekly.

If someone wants to ride PV but wants to avoid the landslide area, I can give you a nice approximately 45 mile 4500 ft (starting at the Redondo Pier) that stays mainly on the West side and has great views.
that's interesting, motorcycles too then? if that is true (i do believe you) you'd think they'd make it as clear as to leaving no question. we actually rode right past 2 police cars, thrice because we doubled back to see if we could access the chapel, and they waved hello. i don't find it dangerous, but best to be super careful for what really is probably less than a mile. again, the worst was repaired since my last ride there 6 weeks ago

i'd be interested in your route though! we did the outer PVD loop up to UCLA / crest then also a little loop up del monte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pv_snip.jpg (109.5 KB, 287 views)
Old 09-03-2024, 04:54 PM
#RYFB

I really enjoy riding in PV.
I really do not enjoy all the flat/junk miles to get there from where I live, so pretty much the only time I consider it is when it's unpleasantly hot (like, this week). That said, the stretch along PV West to get to the switchbacks is my least favorite part so if it's indeed closed to cyclists I won't miss it.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I really do not enjoy all the flat/junk miles to get there from where I live, so pretty much the only time I consider it is when it's unpleasantly hot (like, this week). That said, the stretch along PV West to get to the switchbacks is my least favorite part so if it's indeed closed to cyclists I won't miss it.
Yes, lots of junk miles. I like PV Drive West more than East though

So consider next time riding south to get to the switchbacks you should go Via Campansenia and hit La Cuesta then right on PV Drive North , then right on PV Drive East, take Crownview, then go down the switchbacks (nicer view than up) right on PV Drive West, then come up the backside on Forrestal Ganado Domes (on Stava "the big one") before heading back down PV Dr East to get back home.

And if not enough elevation, add Eastvale Sunny ridge off PV Dr North.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0qn View Post
that's interesting, motorcycles too then? if that is true (i do believe you) you'd think they'd make it as clear as to leaving no question. we actually rode right past 2 police cars, thrice because we doubled back to see if we could access the chapel, and they waved hello.
Yes no motorcycles or bikes, no tickets though, the city just does not want to get sued.

Your route came close to two nice viewpoints Del Cero and the Valkyrie View

I'll PM the route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike path.JPG (37.1 KB, 232 views)
Old 09-03-2024, 06:51 PM

Ungated link to the NYT story for those interested

https://archive.ph/EC1bY
Old 09-03-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Ungated link to the NYT story for those interested

https://archive.ph/EC1bY
Thanks for the link! Maybe the extraction wells will solve their water issues in a two-birds-one-stone fix. Probably not though, another couple heavy rain years and the issue reactivates.

Seems like a great place to ride, maybe one day...
Old 09-03-2024, 11:48 PM

Just read the NYTimes article. Holy %$÷×@. That's sad. I find it amazing how strong/stubborn/ignorant some people can be. That's seems like a battle that can't be won, similar to the houses falling into the ocean here in the east.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
i know what you mean. i take ballona creek to the beach path all the way down but really, it's not so bad if you go early enough on the weekend, though coming back you certainly share the path more. the worst of it is that mile after manhattan beach pier where i try and just take it in an appreciate what we have. it's far better on the weekdays also.

just thinking if you have to come through venice or santa monica though...no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
I'll PM the route.
got it, thank you
Old 09-04-2024, 12:03 PM

I remember in the early 80's being an appliance delivery guy going into portuguese bend area and seeing all the houses upon jacks to keep the foundations level. I knew they were never going to win, especially with the movement on PV Drive back then. Sad.