Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2022, 08:15 AM

Boras on the way

After a bit too much dithering, I finally ordered a pair of Boras from Starlike on 11/21. Yesterday I received notice that DHL had been informed of the shipment. It will be interesting to see how long the wheels take to arrive in Tucson.

One odd thing for me is how I get updates on the the shipment's progress. I'm used to received periodic text messages from UPS or FedEx as a shipment moves through their systems. With German DHL, I have to request updates via email, status updates don't come automatically.

Steve
Old 12-03-2022, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Mine got to me in 4 days from the UK to NJ.

Which depth did you get?

Old 12-03-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Mine got to me in 4 days from the UK to NJ.

Which depth did you get?

All the Bora WTO discussion the past month is getting to me....very low odds of me making it through the weekend without ordering a pair. I'll be my own secret Santa this year
Old 12-03-2022, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
All the Bora WTO discussion the past month is getting to me....very low odds of me making it through the weekend without ordering a pair. I'll be my own secret Santa this year
I dont plan to ride mine until the Spring, so they sit in my office for me to look at them during the day and stay motivated to be in decent shape by the spring, so they are practically a life coach
Old 12-03-2022, 09:20 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
I dont plan to ride mine until the Spring, so they sit in my office for me to look at them during the day and stay motivated to be in decent shape by the spring, so they are practically a life coach
I like that take - "Honey instead of paying for weekly life coach sessions I bought myself some wheels to keep me motivated." Really, we're saving money!"
Old 12-03-2022, 09:23 AM

What are the odds of Campagnolo releasing one further iteration of the rim brake Boras?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJersey View Post
What are the odds of Campagnolo releasing one further iteration of the rim brake Boras?
I would give it a low probability. As it is the Bora Ultras are only available in DB format. The WTOs are so good though, I dont know how they could be improved upon.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
I bought a pair a month or so ago and absolutely love them except for one thing: they're blingy enough that I worry about riding them on the very bad roads around here. I know that's completely stupid. I bought 'em; I should just enjoying riding 'em. But there it is: I'm stupid. I'll almost certainly end up selling them, because I don't like to think about equipment while I'm riding.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I bought a pair a month or so ago and absolutely love them except for one thing: they're blingy enough that I worry about riding them on the very bad roads around here. I know that's completely stupid. I bought 'em; I should just enjoying riding 'em. But there it is: I'm stupid. I'll almost certainly end up selling them, because I don't like to think about equipment while I'm riding.
whenever i have irrational thoughts like that i find inspiration from forum pals who ride WAY more miles than I do and testify that WTOs are awesome and durable

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...84&postcount=4
Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM
PegoNagos

I have WTO's on my 2 main road bikes. Now that I am in Boise and have actual winters, I have thought about putting on some alloy rimmed wheels, but nah, keeping the Boras on the bikes.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
whenever i have irrational thoughts like that i find inspiration from forum pals who ride WAY more miles than I do and testify that WTOs are awesome and durable

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...84&postcount=4
where did you get yours in the UK?

you are making me think thoughts
Old 12-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
where did you get yours in the UK?

you are making me think thoughts
PBK.

Over the turkey day sales the 45's were just under $1500 with free shipping. PBK did however charge me sales tax
Old 12-03-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
PBK.

Over the turkey day sales the 45's were just under $1500 with free shipping. PBK did however charge me sales tax
And be prepared: I received Bora’s from PBK a couple of weeks ago.
Just received an invoice from Fedex for duty.
$171.
Factor in the sales tax and the deal wasn’t quite as sweet as I had hoped.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:45 PM

I bought mine from Starbike, 1,475 euros, but only if I used PayPal. PayPal screwed me a bit with an exchange rate that favored them, 1 Euro=$1.08 vs the going rate of $1.03 at the time of purchase. Still $1,600 including shipping isn't a bad price. Seems like paying duty is a crapshoot, so we'll see.

I bought the 45s.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I bought mine from Starbike, 1,475 euros, but only if I used PayPal. PayPal screwed me a bit with an exchange rate that favored them, 1 Euro=$1.08 vs the going rate of $1.03 at the time of purchase. Still $1,600 including shipping isn't a bad price. Seems like paying duty is a crapshoot, so we'll see.

I bought the 45s.
With PayPal you have to make sure you don’t select their currency exchange service (where they give you a quote on how much USD it’ll will cost to send a payment over in the non-USD amount) - its a total ripoff and basically adds another 5-6% on top of the actual currency conversion.

Always pay in the foreign currency and allow you card issuer to do the conversion - some cards are better than others with the conversion fee but I’ve never seen more than 1-2% on top of the actual conversion rate.

Hope that Campy will update their Bora WTO disc lineup soon to more modern dimensions. Everything about the wheels are great except 19mm ID is a bit outdated and seems to be a carryover / mold efficiency with the rim brake rims. The 21mm ID of the newer Shamals would a welcome update.

Tags
buy buy buy, conspicuous consumption