Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Barely Hanging On

What Cycling Projects Are You Currently Overthinking?

I was just wondering what bike projects are other folks out there overthinking to try and take your mind off of more stressful things in life.

For me, the main things have been unloading things I need to unload and all my future projects generally involving building of some really nice frames of I've acquired from U.S. builders whose names start with SE.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 PM

Just got my new custom road bike last week and today on my ride I was designing the next frame I want him to build. Might be firing off an email this weekend and then trying to sell some stuff. It never stops!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 PM

All of them.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
All of them.

I think this is the correct answer.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM

color. i've been overthinking color for almost 9 months of a 10 month wait...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Just got my new custom road bike last week and today on my ride I was designing the next frame I want him to build. Might be firing off an email this weekend and then trying to sell some stuff. It never stops!
I have the same problem - I think I'd buy less bikes if I didn't ride so much...

Let's see: got most of the parts picked or bought for my incoming Kirk, but haven't picked the color yet; still thinking about how to build my Kirk 29er, but getting close to just taking a box of parts to the shop and letting them pick out the rest for me; not certain about putting more time into the Sachs vs. selling it as-is cuz it's inevitable anyway with other bikes I've got that fit me better; and then I've got a couple more inbound from BT that are needed or at least make sense with the traveling I'm doing and wanting a bit more size but similar themes to the Sachs; plus still thinking about throwing some cross tires on my Kirk and giving the racing thing another go, maybe use my single-speed stuff to change the flavor a bit on it.. And what to do with my Ellis OS that's getting pushed aside by the MRB? Oh geez, and I ready know I want to get a Onesto that's done up as an unapologetic race bike with room for 27c tubs and built for the giddy up, but that's gotta be a mid-2019 thing. But then I remember I got a deposit down at Rock Lobster and even going to the back of the line means I'll still get called up before too long, so maybe a monster-cross bikepacker is next, or a MAX roadie, or ??? And then what if I swing by Andy's place this weekend and get googly-eyed over one of his lesser-used rigs?

Where's the door to the padded room? And how much for a week or two w three squares and a cot?

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-14-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 PM

^^

That's some A+ bike thinking there.

Currently just fretting over handlebar tape. I just got my first very bright (orange on orange!) bike in quite some time. It's an orbea, so I thought maybe I'd do green tape with red plugs as a nod to the Basque heritage or the brand. Did a bunch of looking and got the Deda tape in jaguar green. A digression--Deda tape is very nice for about $10 on Amazon. Classy colors too.

So anyway I've got this orange bike with green tape and it NEVER occurred to me that it would look like a pumpkin turned on its side and that's the first thing my friend said when I showed him was "ooh pumpkin bike." And now that's all I can think about and it's gonna be back to black I think. Maybe perforated black with orange underneath, but that's a suede-y looking tape from Origin8, and I really think it wants a glossy Fizik look.

So tl;dr I tried green tape and it didn't work out (as of yet)

Last edited by soupless; 09-14-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 PM

Trade Parlee frame for something with a bit more endurance geometry or sell the Parlee and buy a mountain bike or keep the Parlee. It really is a great riding bike.
Deciding just what I want to choose as my retirement gift to myself. It's going to be a custom frame, but change my mind regularly on just what I want it to be.
Assorted wheel sales and/or acquisitions.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Descent fitness

Which frame do I build up next?
Which bike do I sell to make room for the above?
Is it easier to answer the previous two q’s or just add onto my garage?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 AM

First World Problems

It is nice to read the posts on this forum and feel validated with respect to my desire to tinker with my bikes (and add new ones). Currently, I have two projects considered:

1. I have a steel all-road bike that I am considering making more dirt friendly by (1) adding a 10-speed MTB RD and 11X36, (2) putting on some 38 gravelking SKs, and (3) potentially getting a light weight disc wheelset like the Knight Race 29s. Other times, I think that I will never get the bike right, and I should sell it and buy a Stigmata or Open, and call it a day.

2. I have wanted a Peg. But I had a chance to get a citron OG1, and it was so much less $$$ that I decided to try the speedvagen. Idea was that I could wait and eventually pick up a Peg. Now, like others on this forum, I am thinking of picking up a Marcelo. I own 3 road bikes, however, and like to ride my bikes so the third project is deciding whether to sell . . . . the speedvagen or my carbon race bike (a 12.5 lb Trek Emonda). Maybe both?

(BTW, welcome thoughts . . . . not that I want to hijack the thread.)

Ryan--
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk View Post

2. I have wanted a Peg. But I had a chance to get a citron OG1, and it was so much less $$$ that I decided to try the speedvagen. Idea was that I could wait and eventually pick up a Peg. Now, like others on this forum, I am thinking of picking up a Marcelo. I own 3 road bikes, however, and like to ride my bikes so the third project is deciding whether to sell . . . . the speedvagen or my carbon race bike (a 12.5 lb Trek Emonda). Maybe both?

(BTW, welcome thoughts . . . . not that I want to hijack the thread.)

Ryan--
That's amazing, i just sold my Peg Duende to buy a SV Citron OG1.

The Peg was too big. And I'm taking Duende not Marcelo.

I love how both bikes ride/rode. Not that I'm encouraging anything, but in a vacuum (if I could afford it) I'd want both.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Encourage Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
That's amazing, i just sold my Peg Duende to buy a SV Citron OG1.

The Peg was too big. And I'm taking Duende not Marcelo.

I love how both bikes ride/rode. Not that I'm encouraging anything, but in a vacuum (if I could afford it) I'd want both.
I got a chance to ride my buddy's Marcelo today. It was too small (a 52 when I am probably a 54). But it rode amazing. So, yeah, this might not be a debate too much longer.

Ryan--
Old 09-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Classics Fan

I'd love to even have an idea for a cycling project... right now, it is mostly just imagining how much more I'll ride next year than this year.

A bunch of rides next fall look interesting.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get a Kickr this winter, and just aim to be in decent shape for the late season riding 2019.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Not much — I was hemming and hawing about a hardtail, but that’s done. At some point I’ll overthink the grips or the bars but I hope that point is off a while or so in the future. Had some setbacks in my riding for a few years but I’m glad to be riding again, slow as I may be — the road bike, the cross bike, the mtb — good to turn the pedals.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 PM

7-Eleven replica

I just got a Moots CR and thinking of having it painted (Black Magic?) in the Team 7-Eleven colors. It's kind of an ode to my favorite cycling team.

I need to get a fork for it, probably a Ritchey WCS -- it's getting hard to find straight (non-taper) forks!