Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 05:06 PM
Pack fill

Fenders on a gravel bike

Some of the fire roads and trails I ride on can get very dusty with the extremely dry summer we have been having in eastern Pennsylvania. The bike gets a good coating of fine grit. I also cringe a little bit when hear pebbles kicked up by the front tire bouncing off the down tube. So I am going to experiment adding fenders to the front and rear. They are plastic and mounted very easy. Tomorrow or Thursday will be the first time trying them

So I was wondering has anyone else here tried fenders on your gravel bike? is so, any tips?

IMG_2925.jpg
Old 09-17-2024, 05:17 PM
n - 1

I have Speedrockers but haven’t used them yet, as it’s not quite rain/snow season.

I’d just make sure your fenders have safety tabs or quick releases in case debris gets caught up in there.

I’d never use fenders for dry gravel riding. Downtube strikes can be mitigated with helicopter tape. Grit and grime…that’s just part of riding on gravel.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:46 PM

I only ever use a clip on rear fender extending back from the seat post for mud and rainy days to keep my backside dryish. It sits inches higher than the rear wheel.
In winter (I don't ride gravel then) I use fenders with the snow tires to help keep the bike a little cleaner. . Skin is waterproof.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:50 PM

Not sure how much fenders are going to help prevent general grit and grime. I just try and wash my bike regularly after rides. I'd be much more worried about them getting tangled or a decent sized rock getting stuck in there. Maybe I don't know what im talking about.

Curious to hear how it goes for you.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:14 PM

I have planet bike "hardcore" fenders (26" x 60mm repurposed from MTB days) they work great on 650 (2.1) and 700c (43mm) tires. Really use them more for rain/wet more than dust. Keep them on all winter. Not quite full coverage but pretty close. Never had an issue with them. On the road bike, I used the speedrockers and recommend them as well, not quite as full coverage but definitely work well if you don't have mounts edit: I have the same frame I think Carbonda 696..

Last edited by Davist; 09-17-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:52 PM

Only when it's raining - I have a planet bike set of plastics that fit over my 650b wheels. I have VO metal fenders on my commuter and had a fender-induced OTB. Knobby tire+small stick+fender+low riders = fastest flip I've ever done.

I'd put some helicopter tape on your down tube and live with the dirt.

Last edited by tellyho; 09-18-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:07 PM

I use 3 pieces from ass savers for rain and mud. Win wing, muddier, and mullet.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:06 PM

Why not? MX motorcycles have fenders.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:41 PM

I live/ride on the Olympic Peninsula, WA where it rains 8-9 months a year... So yeah- I have fenders. SKS Longboards. They're light and durable. I just leave them on year round because I really don't like installing fenders.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:17 PM

^^one of the best places

I might sometimes run a rear seat tube clip on fender on muddy days. But honestly I don't think those are going to do much for what we have right now in the northeast, and as others have said rocks and their results are part of the deal. I would be more concerned with getting a rock or a stick jammed up in them. Frame protection will work better, IMO.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:36 AM

For dry riding, no.

For anything wet: yes, and I commute on one.

Your conditions are tailor made for wax lube, which will prevent the dust sticking to anything. If you don't already wax, switch today.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:45 AM

Yes my gravel bike has full fenders on it from ~November to April.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:44 AM
Meh

Full fenders are great in the wet season.

But if you're going to run them on dirt, make sure you have about 1cm of clearance between tire and fender. If mud build up starts, and you have limited clearance, your bike will seize up and stop at some point, and paint damage is very possible at that point.

Don't ask how I know.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:47 AM

I’d think it’d be more annoying to hear debris constantly hitting the fenders vs the frame strikes. Helicopter tape is what I use. It is very dusty where I ride and I’d see the fenders as another piece to clean, and more difficult at that.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post

But if you're going to run them on dirt, make sure you have about 1cm of clearance between tire and fender. If mud build up starts, and you have limited clearance, your bike will seize up and stop at some point, and paint damage is very possible at that point.

Don't ask how I know.
The internet always says this but I've been doing it for 13 years and I have had items get lodged in the fenders many times and it has absolutely never stopped the tire.

I have the SKS ones, if it's big enough the quick-release tabs pop out. What far more usually happens is the object just scrapes against the tire and fender and makes a racket and you stop and get it out.

You can worry about cleaning Fenders but it's undeniable they keep the rest of the bike cleaner.

If it's a gravel bike and you're running Fenders in dirty or wet conditions though I'm guessing you're not the "not one atom of dirt on my bike" type of rider.