Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 10:08 AM

Is Shimano getting desperate?

New "Limited Edition GRX Pedals" They're just rebranded XT pedals. The description on the Western Bike Works site confirms this.

"These are the same incredibly durable and serviceable internals as the legendary PD-M8100 XT pedals but with snazzy GRX branding."

That's what I need, snazzy new graphics. Looks like a desperate way to drum up sales and not any real innovation.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
New "Limited Edition GRX Pedals" They're just rebranded XT pedals. The description on the Western Bike Works site confirms this.

"These are the same incredibly durable and serviceable internals as the legendary PD-M8100 XT pedals but with snazzy GRX branding."

That's what I need, snazzy new graphics. Looks like a desperate way to drum up sales and not any real innovation.
Check your sock height
Old 09-03-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post

If you are getting upset about the branding/graphics on bike pedals, I suggest you need to turn off your computer and go for a nice walk, maybe touch some grass. This is just not a big deal, at all, to anyone.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:24 AM

Question: Is shimano getting desperate?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo
Old 09-03-2024, 10:27 AM

While I'm thinking about it. I went for my first big gravel ride last weekend using GRX 12-speed 2x mechanical. It is such an incredible joy to use. I couldn't imagine a single improvement that could be made. For applications like this, I actually prefer mechanical shifting, I think it gives a more connected feeling to the bike that I find helpful on uneven terrain.

Shimano continues to knock it out of the park, IMO. GRX is a winner.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
While I'm thinking about it. I went for my first big gravel ride last weekend using GRX 12-speed 2x mechanical. It is such an incredible joy to use. I couldn't imagine a single improvement that could be made. For applications like this, I actually prefer mechanical shifting, I think it gives a more connected feeling to the bike that I find helpful on uneven terrain.

Shimano continues to knock it out of the park, IMO. GRX is a winner.
I have 11 speed GRX and rode gravel in vermont this weekend. Had a few very hard front shifts under low cadence where I was climbing and needed to drop down to the 30. It handled it like a champ. It was awesome. It's so damn good.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:09 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

They know lots of folks like the matchy matchy pretty much.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
They know lots of folks like the matchy matchy pretty much.
I mean, me included! I searched high and low for just the right silver pedals to match the beautiful silver drivetrain and wheels on one of my bikes! Haha
Old 09-03-2024, 11:52 AM

Gee Turkle, thanks for the advice. I really needed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
If you are getting upset about the branding/graphics on bike pedals, I suggest you need to turn off your computer and go for a nice walk, maybe touch some grass. This is just not a big deal, at all, to anyone.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:59 AM

The drive side XT Trail pedal on my gravel bike hasn't been two sided for five years. I smashed into a rock and never got it working again, but at this point, I know if I'm not clipped in, I subconsciously just flip it and clip in. If nothing else, Shimano might be concerned about durability and how their stuff works so well that folks don't feel the need to upgrade.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:08 PM

Marketers gonna market. Can't blame them.

But 2025 is supposed to be a big year for Shimano. The internet whispers are there are a number of releases lined up.

Most definitely see new MTB groups. And assuming the top groups are electronic, will likely bleed over to a GRX 1x12 Di2 release as well.

It is also a possibility that we would see a new Dura Ace group. Timing is about right. Could see additional battery changes also borrowing from the mtb tech. They still need a reliable power meter. And reliable cranks would be a nice addition.

Last edited by KonaSS; 09-03-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:08 PM

The bearing cartridge on the XT pedal is used by many different pedals. That doesn't make Shimano desperate.
Old 09-06-2024, 12:39 PM

I, for one, welcome our new gravel overlords. Long live GRX!
Old 09-06-2024, 09:23 PM
Sunshine

Co-modeling a pedal doesn't seem desperate to me.

My gravel bike's RD is a Shimano Ultegra RX. It was put out to market before GRX existed and is a clutched Ultegra level road RD.
I have never thought Shimano was desperate for using the Ultegra name on that RD, or for using clutch tech on a road RD.

...companies do this all the time. If the XT version is less and you don't care about your pedals saying 'deore xt', then save $36 and buy the XT pedals.
Old 09-06-2024, 10:56 PM

Desperate? That's an odd word to describe this item.