Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 03:27 PM

My holy grail rode by

Driving home from kayaking, crossed bike path for rider. Old man riding pretty slow, popped in front of me a glowing blue Cinelli polished chrome lugs. Didn't get to see what components were my mouth was wide open...

And to think I had a silver 1972sh in my possession 30 years ago but no place to store it and wife said take the cash (I bought for 275 at a bike swap)
Old 08-16-2024, 04:15 PM

I miss my old blue one!
https://tibikes.wordpress.com/2017/0...li-supercorsa/

Cool thing was I went to buy a red one, while I was at the sellers house he was like I have a brand new frameset upstairs I’ll throw in for a few extra bucks! Got two bikes, one new, for basically price of a used one.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
I miss my old blue one!
https://tibikes.wordpress.com/2017/0...li-supercorsa/

Cool thing was I went to buy a red one, while I was at the sellers house he was like I have a brand new frameset upstairs I’ll throw in for a few extra bucks! Got two bikes, one new, for basically price of a used one.
Wow--that is the bee's knees. I still have the desire but not the room, or the willingness to part with stupid money for one. The first bike I raced on was my brother's Cinelli 'B' -- old enough (early '60s, maybe older?) that it had a Magistroni crankset and the oiler on the bottom bracket.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:52 PM

There are few bikes better than a well kept vintage lugged Cinelli Super Corsa in blue. One of them is a well kept vintage lugged Cinelli Super Corsa in red. But there ain't nuthin' wrong with the blue.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:17 PM

If you like red check this one out! Also sold in a moment of unfortunate medical debt in my life (all good now!)
https://tibikes.wordpress.com/2016/1...li-supercorsa/
Ignore the write up, I had been trying to sell it and must have cut and pasted the text

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
There are few bikes better than a well kept vintage lugged Cinelli Super Corsa in blue. One of them is a well kept vintage lugged Cinelli Super Corsa in red. But there ain't nuthin' wrong with the blue.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:21 PM

That's purty.

Someone here restored a red Super Corsa that was too big for them. Silver Campy components. It was stunning. I think that it even had a white San Marco Rolls saddle, or maybe a Regal.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:26 PM
Vendor

I recently stumbled upon a 2002 (I think) Supercorsa made from Columbus Neuron tubing, in the Ferrari Red color. Great condition, just a few nicks in the paint. Bought the touch up paint to made it perfect, then decided to paint it a rich lavender color. It's at the paint shop now, should have it back this coming week. I rode it a couple of times as a red bike just to be sure it fit and that I would like it...and yes, it is a *spectacular* bike. I mean, ***spectacular***.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:58 PM

Well I didn’t ride mine today so wasn’t me plus I like to think I ride it kinda fast but it’s all relative I guess.

It really is the prettiest blue I’ve seen on a bike.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:09 PM

btw, Cinelli paused making new SCs until 2026. Posted here https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=Cinelli
Old 08-17-2024, 12:51 PM

Years ago I used to ride a Cinelli steel lugged frame bike with friction shifters. It was a little newer, C Record Campagnolo era from about 1984.
Hopefully, if they start building the frames again, they will work with slightly wider modern rims and tires. Going from 23 mm to 25 mm wide tires made for a smoother ride on my old bike. Hopefully something might fit in a 32 mm wide tire.
Wondering if Cinelli ever made a Chromovelato painted finish for their steel frames. If someone knows, post a photo!
Old 08-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Small ring

I found a picture of my 1984 Cinelli, as built.

I had a Panasonic AX-6000 that was totaled, and I reused the parts. I still have the bike today, but it lost it's chrome and was repainted.

Cinelli.jpg

After the splash tape:

P6100018.jpg

First modern rebuild:

P7150066.jpg
Old 08-18-2024, 02:47 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
First modern rebuild
The horror!

You're officially out of the club.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:09 PM
Vendor

Just picked this up from the paint shop this morning. Originally Ferrari red. I believe it's a 2002 made from Columbus Neuron tubing. Hope to have it all built up and ready to roll by Tuesday or Wednesday with a Dura Ace 7900 drivetrain, Easton EC90 wheels, and a nice mixed-parts cockpit. One day, maybe it'll Campy. For now, at least the cassette is Italian - a Miche 11-30 10-speed! There will be pics ad nauseam once it's ride-able!

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-23-2024, 09:42 PM

Took mine out today for 20 miles with a quick stop at UVA Lawn

Old 08-23-2024, 10:08 PM

"Various traditions describe the Holy Grail as a cup, dish, or stone with miraculous healing powers, sometimes providing eternal youth or sustenance in infinite abundance... By analogy, any elusive object or goal of great significance may be perceived as a "holy grail" by those seeking such."

OK, just needed to check Wikipedia. For a minute here reading this thread, I thought maybe the Holy Grail was specifically ordained by the Pope as a Cinelli.