Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 09:01 AM

OT - Ohtani's 50/50

SO is the first player to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a single season.
The other nite he went 6-6, with 3 HR, 10 rbi's and 2 stolen bases!!!

Amazing -
Old 09-20-2024, 09:21 AM

I really want a Dodger vs yankee WS.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
So does Rob Manfred.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:25 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
I want to see who's going to beat the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
So does Rob Manfred.
It actually would be good for baseball. But Rob Manfred doesn't do "good for baseball." He makes Bud Selig look good by comparison.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Dodgers ain't dem bums anymore.

Judge vs Ohtani HR contest!!!
Old 09-20-2024, 09:57 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Dodgers ain't dem bums anymore.

Judge vs Ohtani HR contest!!!

They've proven themselves in the box. Put both on the mound and see who wins.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
SO is the first player to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a single season.
The other nite he went 6-6, with 3 HR, 10 rbi's and 2 stolen bases!!!

Amazing -
I was just discussing this with cgolvin last night. This is a golden era for baseball. They’ve unleashed athleticism by making it more conducive to steal bases. It’s great for the game. Has there ever been a more exciting player than Rickey Henderson?

No.

But the fastest and best ranked defensive player in the game today is Bobby Witt Jr. And that’s shocking considering his shortstop counterpoint in the NL
is Elly De La Cruz, who is the closest approximation to Rickey I’ve seen in a long time (speed+power+charisma). And that’s just scratching the surface. Judge. Ohtani. Soto. Acuna (the first 40/70 player in the game.)

If I had to build a team around one player, I’d be hard pressed to make that choice. Maybe Witt Jr.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:51 AM

Just to clarify: Ohtani is having an incredible season. A shoo-in for the NL MVP. And the most unique player in MLB history. (If Ruth ran like Cobb, it would be a different story) It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers continue to utilize him as a two-way player.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was just discussing this with cgolvin last night. This is a golden era for baseball. They’ve unleashed athleticism by making it more conducive to steal bases. It’s great for the game. Has there ever been a more exciting player than Rickey Henderson?

No.

But the fastest and best ranked defensive player in the game today is Bobby Witt Jr. And that’s shocking considering his shortstop counterpoint in the NL
is Elly De La Cruz, who is the closest approximation to Rickey I’ve seen in a long time (speed+power+charisma). And that’s just scratching the surface. Judge. Ohtani. Soto. Acuna (the first 40/70 player in the game.)

If I had to build a team around one player, I’d be hard pressed to make that choice. Maybe Witt Jr.
Sort of a renaissance of SS talent happening. It's hard to argue with your choice of EDLC in the NL, but he strikes out a **** ton, way more than Rickey. He also makes a **** ton of defensive errors (league leading). I love watching the kid, but he plays for the Reds so. . .

Do not overlook Masyn Winn. He'd likely be the ROY in most years, but the NL rookie class is friggin' stacked.

Quote:
Just to clarify: Ohtani is having an incredible season. A shoo-in for the NL MVP. And the most unique player in MLB history. (If Ruth ran like Cobb, it would be a different story) It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers continue to utilize him as a two-way player.
People really need to accept that today's players are light years ahead of those in Ruth's era. The game was different in myriad ways. If Ruth were playing now he might only be average.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 09-20-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=ColonelJLloyd;3424842]Sort of a renaissance of SS talent happening. It's hard to argue with your choice of EDLC in the NL, but he strikes out a **** ton, way more than Rickey. He also makes a **** ton of defensive errors (league leading). I love watching the kid, but he plays for the Reds so. . .

Do not overlook Masyn Winn. He'd likely be the ROY in most years, but the NL rookie class is friggin' stacked.

People really need to accept that today's players are light years ahead of those in Ruth's era. The game was different in myriad ways. If Ruth were playing now he might only be average.[/
QUOTE]

Interesting argument. You’re probably right about Ruth. But where do you draw the line? Is Ted Williams no longer the best “pure” hitter the game has ever seen? Is Willie Mays no longer the greatest player, period?
Old 09-20-2024, 09:53 PM

dupe
Old 09-21-2024, 12:17 AM

I am a bit surprised by some of the shohei hate. I think it is out of ignorance since you are casting Shohei in the same block as US athletes, and I think he is wired quite a bit differently.

1. He is a lot like Babe Ruth in that if you watch him on the field, he is just a big kid enjoying the game of baseball. I see a joy in his play you don't see in other players.

2. In Japan, high school baseball is almost like religion culminating every year with the summer national tournament (Koshien). He was brought up in a high school system geared for this. He lives, and breathes baseball.

3. He has a large contract, but was smart enough to know he needs teammates to win. His contract is backloaded with a really long payout over time with most of the earnings probably coming after he retires. The dodgers have mortgaged their future to win now. (It's another reason the contract seems so large because of the time value of money for the future payouts. I actually think his contract short changes him a bit on these lines)

4. The translator, Ippei Mizuhara, who gambled $16mm away will go to jail. I was skeptical at first, but believe Shohei wasn't gambling.

5. Japan has 135mm people. Shohei is everywhere in Japan. His exploits are on the nightly news every night in Japan even before his 50/50 chase. If he ran for Prime Minister, he'd win. He will have no shortage of post career opportunities. However, he just may retired and go live quietly somewhere with his wife and children in the Japanese countryside. How nice of a dream is that?

6. His wife is an ex-athlete, shy and not posting swimsuit photos on instagram demanding attention. So refreshing

7. Hugo Boss lined his jacket for an awards event with photos of his pet dog.

8. Okay, he bought a porsche. But no one is perfect. (and that may have been the influence of the translator)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of reasons to hate the guy, and I find it refreshing we have someone that at least seems like a standup guy so far.

FWIW, the 'running back' was Tyreek Hill, he is a wide receiver. Athletes actually have names and are not pieces of meat.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 09-21-2024 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 08:43 AM
slower than you

This is why I'm so cynical about modern pro sports, except cycling and probably golf, because those guys have to work so hard for it.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2009/03/2...letes-go-broke

I worked for that magazine for ten years, and watched all that money explode into baseball, football, and basketball. And it hasn't improved the games at all, just made it ridiculously expensive to follow them. Now the NFL draft is a nationally televised event, and winter baseball free agent deals are followed religiously. And it's kind of a sad cliche over and over when these guys are found ten years after their Show shut down, somehow trying to be an adult at age 45.
Nobody is worth 700 million for playing a game, unless you pay them, and that's why I boycott most sports. I'm not paying them.
Sorry about that running back/receiver thing. I don't follow the NFL. Fall Sundays are the best time to bike. I'm convinced that football is a big reason behind America's obesity problem. But, if the weather sucks, I'll crack a brew and root for the home team. There's always a party going on on Sunday.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
This is why I'm so cynical about modern pro sports, except cycling and probably golf, because those guys have to work so hard for it.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2009/03/2...letes-go-broke

I worked for that magazine for ten years, and watched all that money explode into baseball, football, and basketball. And it hasn't improved the games at all, just made it ridiculously expensive to follow them. Now the NFL draft is a nationally televised event, and winter baseball free agent deals are followed religiously. And it's kind of a sad cliche over and over when these guys are found ten years after their Show shut down, somehow trying to be an adult at age 45.
Nobody is worth 700 million for playing a game, unless you pay them, and that's why I boycott most sports. I'm not paying them.
Sorry about that running back/receiver thing. I don't follow the NFL. Fall Sundays are the best time to bike. I'm convinced that football is a big reason behind America's obesity problem. But, if the weather sucks, I'll crack a brew and root for the home team. There's always a party going on on Sunday.
Are you basing your opinions - quoting something written almost a quarter of a century ago? Yikes!!!
Old 09-21-2024, 03:42 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Are you basing your opinions - quoting something written almost a quarter of a century ago? Yikes!!!
The only thing that has changed is that the numbers just inflated, year to year, to, you know, 700 million. The billion dollar baseball player is soon upon us.