Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

2018 TdF equipment overview

Since we all seem to have 'gear fetish', here's an interesting recap of the 'stuff' used at this years Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...is-years-race/
Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 AM

Serious question: do as many of us have a gear fetish when it comes to high-end road as we did in the past?

Though we can purchase their bikes, I dont feel nearly as attached or as interested as I used to be in the modern racing bike.
I cant imagine buying a production bike that couldnt take at least 40mm tires and have a slightly finer tuned geometry for all day riding.

I kind of look at the pro road bikes and see something extremely single purpose, extremely high-tech, and extremely unrelatable anymore. In a sense, they're feeling closer to TT bikes than a bike I would pay retail for in 2018.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Serious question: do as many of us have a gear fetish when it comes to high-end road as we did in the past?

Though we can purchase their bikes, I dont feel nearly as attached or as interested as I used to be in the modern racing bike.
I cant imagine buying a production bike that couldn't take at least 40mm tires and have a slightly finer tuned geometry for all day riding.

I kind of look at the pro road bikes and see something extremely single purpose, extremely high-tech, and extremely unrelatable anymore. In a sense, they're feeling closer to TT bikes than a bike I would pay retail for in 2018.
I think 'gear fetish' is alive and well but maybe a 'fetish' in the sense of a path to disagreement or 'discussion' more than anything. For instance, I can't imagine ever buying a production bike that COULD take 40mm tires..To each his own and what they want there bike to 'be'.

Still plenty of people looking at and buying a 25mm tired, road only, racey-type bike..what the 'big boys' sell the most of, still.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think 'gear fetish' is alive and well but maybe a 'fetish' in the sense of a path to disagreement or 'discussion' more than anything. For instance, I can't imagine ever buying a production bike that COULD take 40mm tires..To each his own and what they want there bike to 'be'.

Still plenty of people looking at and buying a 25mm tired, road only, racey-type bike..what the 'big boys' sell the most of, still.
Yeah, makes sense. I just see the industry continuing to introduce and highlight bikes that will never win a stage in a GT (checkpoint, diverge, etc). That isnt to say there arent still tons and tons of road-only riders, but we're also at what feels like a point of technology-overkill with aero properties and integration with cockpits and cables, stuff like that.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM

It's regional, each market is different. I'm moving to NW Arizona where gravel and MTB are king. Even the roads aren't good so it would be advantageous to have a bike that would take a 28 or larger. If I was in SoCal, I'd want a fast road bike because of the coastal rides with lots of people. Even if I was not in a fast group, the roads are nice and there'd be no reason to have oversize tires. I ride crap roads on 25 tubeless around here.

For the TdF bikes, they're race bikes, specialized for those events. You could show up for Tuesday night world championships on one, but I'm not sure you'd want one for your daily miles. The disc brake thing didn't seem to make much difference this year other than to complicate wheel changes. Sagan had disc brakes and still took a flyer into the woods when he overcooked a corner. I don't think they mattered at all, especially on the TT bikes used on a relatively flat course.

I haven't seen a bike in the tour that made me lust since the red/white Ridleys a few years ago, and that was mostly the paint.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
It's regional, each market is different. I'm moving to NW Arizona where gravel and MTB are king. Even the roads aren't good so it would be advantageous to have a bike that would take a 28 or larger. If I was in SoCal, I'd want a fast road bike because of the coastal rides with lots of people. Even if I was not in a fast group, the roads are nice and there'd be no reason to have oversize tires. I ride crap roads on 25 tubeless around here.

That's where I live and I ride PCH a lot! I have a bike for that, but I fair just as well on my more gravelish bike when I slap my 28s on it and go. I dunno. Just seems road bikes are getting more and more narrow, or mine (our?) tastes are expanding more.

If/when my Stinner Refugio breaks, I will be lining up for an Open UP or a 3T Exploro I think.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
That's where I live and I ride PCH a lot! I have a bike for that, but I fair just as well on my more gravelish bike when I slap my 28s on it and go. I dunno. Just seems road bikes are getting more and more narrow, or mine (our?) tastes are expanding more.

If/when my Stinner Refugio breaks, I will be lining up for an Open UP or a 3T Exploro I think.
I was stationed in San Diego for a year and rode around 5K miles on my road bike and only flatted once and that was a thorn near Escondido. The roads where crowded but decent. I think I was riding on some nice Vittoria clinchers in 25mm. Around here, I have to ride tubeless or suffer 1-2 flats a week, regardless of tire size. I've got a set of Altamonts with 32mm file tread Maxxis tubeless tires for my gravel bike and they're a great option when I travel with one bike, but I'm faster on the road with a fat 25.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I was stationed in San Diego for a year and rode around 5K miles on my road bike and only flatted once and that was a thorn near Escondido. The roads where crowded but decent. I think I was riding on some nice Vittoria clinchers in 25mm. Around here, I have to ride tubeless or suffer 1-2 flats a week, regardless of tire size. I've got a set of Altamonts with 32mm file tread Maxxis tubeless tires for my gravel bike and they're a great option when I travel with one bike, but I'm faster on the road with a fat 25.
Copy to Jan (Heine)...
Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 AM

I liked the look of Sylvan Chavanel's Wilier--although it would take some doing for me to seriously consider buying one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chavanel.jpg (137.4 KB, 421 views)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Agree on both counts. Bikes like this rapidly get to the $10k+ territory and that is pretty much a ridiculous amount to pay for a bike that next year will be called obsolete.

On the local FB bike classifieds there is a top shelf Trek Madone from 2017 with DA and all the best Trek has to offer. Selling it for 50% of MSRP after a season of light usage and is getting zero interest.

The depreciation of high end bikes is eye watering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I liked the look of Sylvan Chavanel's Wilier--although it would take some doing for me to seriously consider buying one....
Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
For fun I was looking at the Wilier page--that fancy paint is not cheap:
Quote:
The Cento10PRO Ramato and Cromovelato blue finishes are available on all of the standard models in the catalogue. The final cost for a bike with the special finishes is the price of the selected standard model plus € 1500
Yikes!

https://www.wilier.com/en/cento10pro...o?origin=world
Old 07-31-2018, 10:24 PM

Can somebody explain the combo 9100/9150 some stage winners seem to have? Seems intriguing
Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
Can somebody explain the combo 9100/9150 some stage winners seem to have? Seems intriguing
Did you mean 9000 cranks?

All Shimano sponsored teams rode DI2 either 9150 or 9170 (disc). However, on Stage 9 (cobbled, Roubaix), some riders chose 9100 to prevent impact triggered shifting. The Shimano sponsored teams which used their wheels were on 9100 series wheels (the current designation).

Last edited by beeatnik; 07-31-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Did you mean 9000 cranks?
I think so - Bora was using 9000 cranks for the TT at least

Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 AM

ya, 9000 for chainring options.