Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 02:52 AM

wax chain up keep

How often do you re-wax? is the Silca super secret chain lube the only liquid drip to use in between re-waxing? it seems like Silca is the only game in town.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:07 AM

There are a number of youtube videos by the man himself on wax maintenance. As I recall it is every few hundred miles, depending on conditions, to re-up in between re-wax, with full re-wax every 1000mi. I dont think that Silca is the only choice but in my mind its sort of like drive train parts- makes sense to use the entire group. It sounds like there is some design engineering to support that.

I recently dove in on the whole wax thing. Starting with the two step quick start where you strip and wax without removing the chain. I'm liking it but wish I had started with what was a brand new group set and stripping the new chain and full soak wax. My lbs does the full on strip and wax a new chain for $40.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:59 AM

Drip wax every few bike cleanings or if the chain starts to make noise (which is more often on gravel and mountain bikes).

Re-wax 2x-3x season. It’s easy enough that I do them in bullk - if one bike needs re-waxed I do all of them.

Last edited by Alistair; 08-16-2024 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:08 AM

I find an immersion wax lasts 50-500 miles, depending on conditions. 200-300 miles is pretty typical. Immersion waxing is easy and quick enough that I don't bother using the drip wax very often. The exception is if the bike has gotten a bit wet but the chain is generally still in good condition. Any time it gets wet I'll use my air compressor to dry it quickly before putting the bike away, and I might add a bit of drip wax to help keep surface rust at bay and extend the interval a bit.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:19 AM
Older Than You

As a fair weather rider I can easily get 250 miles between wax applications. I do a quick chain wipe down with a microfiber cloth and Isopropyl alcohol every 50 miles or so.
Old 08-16-2024, 07:42 AM

I also use the Silca wax system on my commuter bike as well as my road bike. I get about what everyone else does for mileage before re-waxing. I do use the Silca drip-wax between immersion waxing to prolong the mileage.

Also, Silca just came out with an “Endurance Chip” that is supposed to add to mileage between immersion waxing. I’m going to give that a try to see if it works.

Last edited by Derosid; 08-16-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 08:39 AM

Any one use a strip chip to clean a used oiled wet lubed chain?
Old 08-16-2024, 09:47 AM

I prefer for inbetween drip and I use Ceramicspeed UFO for that, which I like better then Silca secret drip
Old 08-16-2024, 10:12 AM

I hot wax every 300km and stopped bothering with wax dripping in between hot waxes.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:50 AM

Pretty New to Waxing

here, but have jumped in with both feet. Went back and forth with the folks at Silca about longevity and 'best practices'. At 60 years old, I don't ride in the rain anymore (too scared of the drop off in already deplorable local driving skills when the roads are slick). Silca suggested that in 'good' conditions, 1000 miles is easily doable for a hot waxed chain. I bought into the Silca product suite full bore. I bought the wipes, which i use after every ride. I bought the super secret lube, which i use once a week (I average about 225 miles per week) and then will follow the 1,000 mile 're-dunk' guideline when reached. About 600 miles into this, having started with a brand new chain, Silca Wax system, and Strip Chip. Drivetrain (Red AXS) has been absolutely silent. I'm obviously an impressionable nerd, but so far...
Old 08-16-2024, 10:54 AM

I went hot wax on all my bikes. Commuter sees the most varied conditions and gets re-done roughly as the seasons change. Cyclocross is sort of a lost cause since any muddy race I'm re-applying again.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:45 PM

Hot wax only for me. I don't top up with drip wax anymore. I feel like it contaminated my hot wax mixing in drip wax. The fresh hot waxed chain just didn't seem to perform as good. So I dumped my wax and started fresh and cut out the drip. I now have 3 chains on rotation on my main bike and swap it out every 250ish miles. Then I just re wax them all at the same time.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:25 PM

Did you clean the chain in boiling water before using the hot wax again or just go straight to a re-wax?

Just curious because I currently use the drip between hot wax however I just started with it so haven't been able to compare differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Hot wax only for me. I don't top up with drip wax anymore. I feel like it contaminated my hot wax mixing in drip wax. The fresh hot waxed chain just didn't seem to perform as good. So I dumped my wax and started fresh and cut out the drip. I now have 3 chains on rotation on my main bike and swap it out every 250ish miles. Then I just re wax them all at the same time.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:53 AM

Just rewaxing a chain isn't going to remove the dirt that gets into the critical wear areas. I want my chains agitated in a solvent that will remove wax and dirt before it's lubed.

Last edited by Dave; 08-17-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:46 AM

I run the chain, cassette, and chainrings through a session in the ultrasonic cleaner before re-waxing.