Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2024, 08:17 PM

OT - Help with driving directions..

Hey folks, I am in Chattanooga for an Ironman this weekend. We drove down from east coast Canada and our GPS took us through New York. It took us 2 hours to go about 4km to get to George Washington bridge (forget highway #, but think it cut through the Bronx..).
I would very much like to avoid this on the drive back. Any suggestions on waypoints to point my GPS to, to avoid NY and stay on track to head towards Boston?

Follow 81, then switch to 84 after Harrisburg, PA?

Thx!!!

Last edited by oldguy00; 09-26-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:21 PM

Cross the Hudson River on I-84, over the Beacon-Newburgh bridge.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:29 PM

That was the Cross Bronx Expressway. It was a marvel of speed across the Bronx when it was built (mainly 1950s-1960s). You never know what kind of traffic you will encounter now.

Another possibility to Newburgh already mentioned is 287 north through NJ to the Mario Coumo Bridge, across Westchester and into 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Hey folks, I am in Chattanooga for an Ironman this weekend. We drove down from east coast Canada and our GPS took us through New York. It took us 2 hours to go about 4km to get to George Washington bridge (forget highway #, but think it cut through the Bronx..).
I would very much like to avoid this on the drive back. Any suggestions on waypoints to point my GPS to, to avoid NY and stay on track to head towards Boston?

Thx!!!
Old 09-27-2024, 07:24 AM

I was retelling the story recenty about getting directions (first time driving through NYC), and plotting it on the old Rand McNally, then making my sharpy cheat sheet so I could navigate at speed (driving by myself)...

Of course the route hit the Cross Bronx and (even by comparisons with Chicago and elsewhere)--it was hair-raising to say the least.

It has not improved in the last 30 or so years, although once I realized that if you treat NYC driving as a live game of 'Fast and Furious' you can loosen up a little, and even find some amusement!

Both previous suggestions are good --287 and the Cuomo/Tappen Zee Bridge, or I-84. I'll add a third-- just before the Tappen Zee/Cuomo you could go turn north on the Palisades Parkway, cross the Hudson at the Bear Mountain Bridge, and wend your way north to I-84, see some marvelous scenery (one of the most picturesque bridges in N. America IMO).

Not fast, but scenic as all getout...
Old 09-27-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post

Of course the route hit the Cross Bronx and (even by comparisons with Chicago and elsewhere)--it was hair-raising to say the least.

... if you treat NYC driving as a live game of 'Fast and Furious' you can loosen up a little, and even find some amusement!

True 'dat! Let's just say getting through the NYC area can easily substitute for your Zone 5 and 6 training.
Old 09-27-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
Snip

Another possibility to Newburgh already mentioned is 287 north through NJ to the Mario Coumo Bridge, across Westchester and into 95.
This is the route I took in May when I went down to Front Royal to ride with the Baron. I avoided all the megalopoli on this route.
Old 09-27-2024, 10:14 AM
Administrator

yea, tappanzee bridge is probably the way to go.

realistically though, just download waze and follow what it says.
Old 09-27-2024, 10:30 AM

All good options for avoiding the NYC congestion. Another suggestion is to try to time your trip to avoid the heaviest congestion. That means the morning (6:30 to 10:00AM) and afternoon rush hours (4:00 to 7:00PM), weather complications and construction delays. It really doesn't leave much of a window to get through NY metro, but it's possible. Traveling north through the NY metro area, here's my usual strategy...

1. NJ Turnpike to GWB (via east or west spurs depending on advisories) and then Henry Hudson pkwy to Cross County pkwy to Merritt pkwy to 91N to 84E. That's the quickest route but highest risk for traffic delays EVERYWHERE. I hardly ever take the Cross Bronx because I hate that road.

2. NJ Turnpike to Garden State pkwy to Mario Cuomo bridge to Saw Mill pkwy North to 684N to 84N. I find this to be the second quickest route but still high risk especially through the Newark area and on the Cuomo bridge.

3. Same as above but head north on the NY Throughway and then on to 84E. You still deal with the risk of northern NJ but avoid any Cuomo delays.

If you really want to avoid the NYC area, then other options suggested above are all good but you still need to time your trip to avoid traffic in the Philly and Hartford areas. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you, including your Ironman!

Last edited by MXLeader; 09-27-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Thx!!!
Yes. It will still suck but it's so much better than 95.
Old 09-27-2024, 10:15 AM

Not knowing exactly where you are going in Canada

75 north to I 40 to 81 north

At Harrisburg 78 to 287 to 87 north New York State thruway

This brings you to nj ny border

Other options may be stay on 81. You may have options of going north on 75
Old 09-27-2024, 10:32 AM
slower than you

I despise 95, and I lived in CT. And travelled to Baltimore a lot..

It may be longer, but I would take 81 all the way up to Binghamton, turn right on 88 to Albany (Rand Macnally called this a scenic highway, and they're right), then 90 to Boston. After that, I can't help.
Scenic route. If you're a baseball fan, Cooperstown isn't too far off 88, and you'll be driving through AAA bicycle country near there.
Old 09-28-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Thx!!!
Yes:
I-78E out of Harrisburg, then
I-287N, then
I-87N (as you enter NY), then
either continue N on I-87 toward Montreal - OR - cut over on I-84E across the bridge at Newburgh as mentioned previously toward Hartford, and then N on I-91.

I would stay away from the I-95 corridor at all costs.
GL
Old 09-28-2024, 01:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Yes:
I-78E out of Harrisburg, then
I-287N, then
I-87N (as you enter NY), then
either continue N on I-87 toward Montreal - OR - cut over on I-84E across the bridge at Newburgh as mentioned previously toward Hartford, and then N on I-91.

I would stay away from the I-95 corridor at all costs.
GL

OR, 83 to and outta Harrisburg from Baltimore to 78 to 287 to 684 to 84 to 91 etc...

My main experience with this route was 287 to 684 etc going up to Boston avoiding 95 at all cost even +20 years ago.