Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Bob Jackson to close

A sad day for English framebuilding.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

After 85 years of frame building & restorations Bob Jackson Cycles will be closing it’s doors for the very last time on the 18th December 2020, We are very much an ageing work force and over the years have not been able to find younger members of staff to train up and move forwards. After what has been a very crazy year for all of us we have decided it’s time to hang up our welding torches and spray guns for the last time and enjoy some retirement while we can.

All current orders and work with us will be finished as promised, Any customers who still need our services ( No Chrome Plating) will need to have their frames with us by the 7th November, Frames after this time will not be accepted .

On a personal note all at Bob Jackson Cycles now and in the past would like to thank all our customers for their business over the last 85 years, We are sorry it has come to this but nobody can stop the passing of time and everyone is entitled to enjoy a few years of retirement.

Thank You,

All At Bob Jackson Cycles
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Gracious and courteous announcement. They had a good long run as a company.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Administrator

wow, an institution for sure.

i dont know what the unemployment numbers are like in the UK, but it's surprising that there are not some enterprising younger people who would want to carry on the tradition. best to go out with a nice message like this though.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:09 AM

Wow. Neighbor of mine years ago had a Bob Jackson, such a classic bike. And boy did that bike get used along, def. well traveled.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:10 AM

This is the knock-on-effect of the instagram generation of framebuilders entering the market.
These days few are willing to toil for years (possibly a decade or more) with a company like this before being considered worthy of having their name on the downtube, and those that did are unwilling to sully such a prestigious name by selling it on. If I were them, I'd rather close the doors than hand it over. Good on them for reminding us all that craftsmanship can last (and take) a lifetime.

Always wanted one of their bikes, despite being their sworn enemy (I'm from Lancashire, they're from Yorkshire).
Old 10-16-2020, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-pal
wow, an institution for sure.

i dont know what the unemployment numbers are like in the UK, but it's surprising that there are not some enterprising younger people who would want to carry on the tradition. best to go out with a nice message like this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
This is the knock-on-effect of the instagram generation of framebuilders entering the market.
These days few are willing to toil for years (possibly a decade or more) with a company like this before being considered worthy of having their name on the downtube, and those that did are unwilling to sully such a prestigious name by selling it on. If I were them, I'd rather close the doors than hand it over. Good on them for reminding us all that craftsmanship can last (and take) a lifetime.

Well said and for the most part, sadly true.

W.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Oh man so sorry to hear that

This is my beloved Bob Jackson
Gold plated with metallic burgundy panels

Dates back to '72

Show stopper everywhere I go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201016_100931.jpg (73.5 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg 20201016_101004.jpg (59.2 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg 20201016_101021.jpg (64.1 KB, 739 views)
File Type: jpg 20201016_101047.jpg (66.2 KB, 740 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:34 AM

Sad news.

Always had it in mind to order up a new one in my size. I had one for years and it was a great ride. Unfortunately it was pretty small for me too. Traded it for some cash and a set of Campagnolo Eurus wheels.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:41 AM

And mine, an Olympus model, made for me in 1972. In its classic mode, and as currently built up. I have no idea how many miles on this bike, it was my only road bike for over 30 years. It's way too big for me (fist of seatpost sizing, plus ST=TT in the olden days - TT is 57.2, other bikes of mine are 53.5 - 54.9) so it is now wearing a 60mm stem. Still the smoothest riding bike I own. The fenders will go back on soon. It's the grab-and-go road bike, flat pedals, etc.

@Toeclips - what's the serial number on yours? Mine is 8245.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0498.jpg (131.0 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 10.32.12 AM.jpg (150.5 KB, 720 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Always wanted one of their bikes, despite being their sworn enemy (I'm from Lancashire, they're from Yorkshire).
True this
Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:

For those that might not get this, it's a reference to the Wars of the Roses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses

In the north of England, the resentment goes deep
Old 10-16-2020, 09:52 AM

What a sad thing to hear...I might need to grab a metal head badge so that I can put it on one day..

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM

I've always wanted one ever since I saw one in a cycling book that was written in the 70's. What a great run they had.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Sad news but I am happy the owners are taking some time for themselves. Their frames will serve as the model of a "bicycle" for a long time...
Old 10-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Randomhead

I had no idea they were still around, which is not the fault of the instagram generation of framebuilders. A builder has to be on insta if they want to go anywhere, so I don't blame anyone for that. Maybe Bob Jackson should have thought of it. Even Moulton is on there. Dawes seems to be doing okay. I think they probably put so little effort into succession that they would have been incredibly lucky to find someone to run the business. It's not like it's that hard to teach people to build a bike. Blaming the shutdown on younger people doesn't impress me at all. I hope they enjoy their retirement though.

The market for the kind of bike they build is pretty well handled by other builders. I just hope they find someone to buy the name so Bikes Direct doesn't start selling cheap aluminum bikes under the Bob Jackson name.