Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Dura Ace or Ultegra

I am going to be receiving a new custom Kirk frame in the next week or two and I have been debating between Dura Ace or Ultegra for the build. I have been strictly a Campy man up to now but I have decided to try one of the Japanse groups. The new group will be mechanical. I don't race and I will be using 2 sets of wheels, new carbon rims with 25's and Hed Belgium plus with 32's. 95% of my riding will be road and occasional gravel.
Is the Ultegra worthy of a new Kirk? I do like the 11 - 34 cassette available with the Ultegra. This could be my last bike. I don't mind spending the difference for Dura Ace but is it necessary? What do you think?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM

If I was building my last potential bike you'd better believe it would have record 12 on it.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Stick with Campy
Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM

Chorus 12 will soon be out and have an 11-34 with better cog spacing and a sub-compact crank option. Only the black aluminum brake levers turn me off.
I'd have to move up to Record levers.

Shimano may need another hub redesign for 12 speed.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Mec...ts/chorus/road

Last edited by Dave; 05-20-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Chorus 12 will soon be out and have an 11-34 with better cog spacing and a sub-compact crank option. Only the black aluminum brake levers turn me off.
I'd have to move up to Record levers.

Shimano may need another hub redesign for 12 speed.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Mec...ts/chorus/road
+1000

I'm putting Chorus 12 on my Kirk as soon as it's available.

The new hoods and shifters feel amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
If I was building my last potential bike you'd better believe it would have record 12 on it.
Probably me as well, Or move the 80th Ani SR Group over from the 22 year Old Spectrum Ti Super I can't stop riding.

But as far as Shimano, I believe I'd do the Dura-Ace. Although I have not used the R8000 STi myself. Have 6800/5800 though. Coming from 7800 for me I did not like the feel of either. And now I am ERGO as I like the hand ergonomics and no brake lever swinging for a shift.
[Did Di2 as well, and am a cabled ERGO guy now FWIW]

I will add that if weight is a factor for you, I believe the spread between the two in the latest iterations has grown.
In other words as I recall 6800 is lighter than M8000.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Hey I love Campy but I do want to try Shimano. Thanks so far for your replies. Other opinions?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Hey I love Campy but I do want to try Shimano. Thanks so far for your replies. Other opinions?
Simply think a Kirk deserves Dura Ace or Record
Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM

I would stick with Record 12 or Dura Ace. While Ultegra and DA have identical shifting performance, I’d go for more bling on my last bike.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 PM

I'd used only Campy since starting in the late 80's. Mostly chorus, but splurged a few times for record/super record combos. Bought a gravel bike with the new ultegra disc brake group last summer.
I don't want to start another campy-shimano debate, but my honest opinion is that ultegra is easier to acquire ( comes oem on most bikes), less expensive, functions ok, disc brakesare proven, looks good from a distance. The finish of chorus is far better, shifting is crisper (and stays crisper), ergo levers far better, disc brake less known.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:32 PM

I've used DA9100 and R8000 and if money is no object then get the 9100 but you really aren't going to notice a difference in shift quality from one to the other IMHO. The 9100 is a bit less in the weight department and I think that's about the difference.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 PM

Classic Paceline. Thread started about Shimano, replies make it all about Campy.

Ultegra is 100% worthy of a Kirk. If you want the wider range over DA, it's a no brainer. They are also cross-compatible, so you can always run an Ultegra cassette/RD with DA everything else.

If you're concerned about things getting dinged up from riding on gravel, no sense in spending extra for the nicer finish quality on DA.

Also, seems like R9100/R8000 might have been a slight downgrade in quality and level of finish from 9000/6800, which have been exceptional in my experience.

RE: missed or "sticky" multiple shifts, sounds like an installation problem. The shifting action needs the newest "slick" cables and housing, Ultegra or DA level cable kits will be a huge improvement over standard bike shop bulk parts.

Last edited by jtbadge; 05-20-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Classic Paceline. Thread started about Shimano, replies make it all about Campy.

Ultegra is 100% worthy of a Kirk. If you want the wider range over DA, it's a no brainer. They are also cross-compatible, so you can always run an Ultegra cassette/RD with DA everything else.

If you're concerned about things getting dinged up from riding on gravel, no sense in spending extra for the nicer finish quality on DA.

Also, seems like R9100/R8000 might have been a slight downgrade in quality and level of finish from 9000/6800, which have been exceptional in my experience.

RE: missed or "sticky" multiple shifts, sounds like an installation problem. The shifting action needs the newest "slick" cables and housing, Ultegra or DA level cable kits will be a huge improvement over standard bike shop bulk parts.
Quote:
I have been strictly a Campy man up to now
The OP mentioned it first, to be fair..BUT, as mentioned, I'd do a mix(unless the 'kit' makes it way more $, or tougher)..or go with ultegra..fine stuff. After looking at it and such, not sure why DA is SO much more expensive....

But, $ for $, I'd do Chorus or Potenza->
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Dura ace group ebay is only about 1,500, considering the frame (and assume bling seatpost/stem, etc - bike deserves it.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Dura ace group ebay is only about 1,500, considering the frame (and assume bling seatpost/stem, etc - bike deserves it.
DA 9100 is $1349, and Record 12 is $1270, I would go with Record 12.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-97454.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...et-120859.html