Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 06:40 PM

OT: Pickleball Fever: anyone here catch it?

Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in the nation. Unfortunately, my knees are shot from too many years of playground basketball, so it’ll have to wait post-surgery. Anyone here play?

It certainly seems like a lot of fun. A hybrid of ping-pong and tennis. Maybe more toward the former where hand-eye coordination and reaction time takes priority over sheer athleticism. It’s all fantastic to see so many different age ranges and body types enthusiastically playing. The courts near me are always packed.

I’ll answer the question posed in the article: Yes. It’s definitely a workout. It gets people moving.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/03/w...nt=0_best_algo
Old 09-08-2022, 06:56 PM

watched some folks playing the other day while on a ride...looks fun.

unfortunately, I'm two menisci and an ACL short of participating in anything that stresses knees.

will stick with cycling and swimming...
Old 09-08-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
watched some folks playing the other day while on a ride...looks fun.

unfortunately, I'm two menisci and an ACL short of participating in anything that stresses knees.

will stick with cycling and swimming...
You and me both, brother.

It’s really limiting. I miss the camaraderie of my basketball/softball days. Pickleball seems great for that. Hard to replicate that cycling. I prefer to ride solo, so that’s obviously a factor.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:06 PM

No.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Pickle what?
Old 09-08-2022, 07:12 PM

I will eventually, as I love raquet sports. Gotta be careful, though. I popped an achilles in '17 and di not want to go thru that again.

The one thing that bugs me about p-ball is all the articles I see lately about it.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:17 PM

My wife takes pickle ball very seriously. Plays tournaments all over Wisconsin. Lots of ex-tennis players and other athletes playing the game. It’s fun and can be as competitive as one wants.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggross View Post
My wife takes pickle ball very seriously. Plays tournaments all over Wisconsin. Lots of ex-tennis players and other athletes playing the game. It’s fun and can be as competitive as one wants.
My sister in law is an absolute fanatic, like the way we are cycling fanatics. More power to her as I bet she lives a long healthy life.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:17 PM

I heard that if you want to move to The Villages, you have to play at least twice a week...it's in the HOA
Old 09-08-2022, 08:34 PM

Probably for all the reasons it’s trendy now meant that growing up in New England our school district pretty much used pickle ball year round as physical fitness. I played a little this summer with high school athletes that I coach for xc. It was fun to work on my serve and drop balls, but they quickly picked up my tricks and used them against me! We played doubles and were able to keep over 15 teenagers fully engage in games, score keeping, and officiating in the size of 1 and a half tennis courts I think. All the retirees thought it was just the greatest playing along side the next generation.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:40 PM

Adult-sized ping pong.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:42 PM

I played once and enjoyed it. You can definitely get your heart rate up if everyone is playing the same game. Seems like everyone has to be on the same page about how hard they want to play, but a lot of sports are like that. My SIL lives in Scottsdale and is way into it, the playing as well as the social, hanging out and watching others play.

I will admit I have a bias against the sport though as for the longest time, in my former hometown, the pickle ballers would take over the only basketball court at my local Y for several hours most every day and were annoyingly possessive of the court.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I heard that if you want to move to The Villages, you have to play at least twice a week...it's in the HOA
Along with regular tests for STDs...from what I have read.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tal-of-america

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 09-09-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:24 AM

I guess that accounts for the social aspect of the sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Along with regular tests for STDs...from what I have read.

Tim
Old 09-09-2022, 06:45 AM

My wife took some classes and started playing with some lady friends, some of whom could not always make the morning games for a foursome. She asked if I would come along and be the fourth when necessary. I started and now on the days when the group doesn't play we play singles. It's very popular in this community with courts full every day the weather is decent and there are indoor courts at the local dome that are very busy too. When winter comes there is fierce competition for courts, so much so the local "Y" is building a new facility that will help meet the demand.