Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2024, 01:21 PM
Dirt Rat

Visiting Japan - worth renting a bike for a day and exploring?

My partner and I are going to be doing 2 weeks in Japan this November along with her sister, and will most likely be traveling to Tokyo, Kyoto and Hakone (and possibly Nikko). While its in no way a cycling trip, I'd still love to get a ride in to explore some country roads and trails perhaps around Kyoto or Hakone.

Has anyone done something similar and have any suggestions? I haven't had much look in initial searches on the web for easy bike rentals of a decent road/gravel bike - my feeling is it will be a lot of trouble for one ride... but still would be an amazing opportunity to ride in a new country! Also would love any suggestions on where to ride, especially for forest roads and mixed terrain!
Old 07-09-2024, 02:36 PM

Never been but it's high on the list with or without bikes. I like the idea of a bike rental for a day as part of the bigger trip picture.

You find this? https://roadbikerentaljapan.com/blog...northern-hills
Old 07-09-2024, 02:37 PM

forumite @verticaldoug is the preeminent expert on this

That said, I looked into riding around Kyoto, in particular the eastern part thereof. You can ride out from town and get close to Lake Biwa. Alternatively, take the local commuter rail into Otsu (on the Lake itself) and start riding. You will need a rinko bag though (which you can stash into a locker).

Your biggest hurdle if you don't bring your own bike is rental. There are a few options in Osaka, and a Giant-owned shop near Otsu that will rent bikes. The latter does require some rather circuitous routing though.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:28 PM
ZhugeLiang

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/shows/cycle/
Old 07-09-2024, 03:40 PM
Epic=No Smiles

When I went to Tokyo, I rented a mamachari bike at Muji of all places and rode all over town. The roads around the imperial palace are open only to cyclists and pedestrians and you can also ride over to the Olympic village. It was great fun. Again, not really a cycling thing, but a great way to see the city.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:42 PM
Dirt Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thanks this is awesome! New show to binge
Old 07-09-2024, 04:04 PM

Slight tangent, download the 'GO' app for calling japanese taxis.
https://go.goinc.jp/en/price

I've been in Tokyo for some family obligations the past few days and everyone complains about the lack of taxis. So the Japanese are all using the GO APP which makes finding an empty cab on the street even harder.

I'd rent a car for Hakone from Odawara or Gotemba if possible (Gotemba is probably an easier drive into Hakone with views of Fuji). Get an international license. It is so easy to drive here, and you will have a much better time in Hakone with a car. Be sure to go mid-week to miss the weekend Japanese crowds. The leaves are turning later and later in Japan, but when they turn, the crowds come.

You get views like this as you drive around the rim of the crater.
This is from Kendo 75 on the Odawara side. This was mid-May.

This is hakuba last week.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 07-09-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 06:35 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.mgnr View Post
Thanks this is awesome! New show to binge
It's pretty cool....we get NHK in our channel line up so I watch whenever I see it's on and I am looking to kill some time....
Old 07-10-2024, 02:54 AM

I'm here right now (it's hot as hell), with no bike. The cities seem a bit nuts for riding, but I've watched that Cycle Across Japan show on NHK and really want to come back with one. We've been in Nagoya, Suzuka, Kyoto, and now Tokyo.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:46 AM

Should we be concerned about bike theft or it’s safe to park a bike with a standard cable and lock? I’d doubt everyone is using a locker every time they park.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkycalvin View Post
Should we be concerned about bike theft or it’s safe to park a bike with a standard cable and lock? I’d doubt everyone is using a locker every time they park.
You can bring a small lock. It's pretty safe. You misunderstand the purpose of the bike locker, it is not to keep the bike from being stolen, but to prevent people from cluttering the sidewalks and roads with their parked bikes.

Particularly, if you are near a station or some other commuter hub, many people ride bikes to the station. You are not allowed to park your bike just any place.

If you have been to London or another large city with a ebike app like Lime, people ride the bikes and leave them everywhere. That just doesn't fly in Japan, hence no Lime Bikes.
So if you lock your bike to some random place on a sidewalk, it probably gets impounded by the police. It's the proverbial 'Don't chain your bike to the fence' sign.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:05 PM

Tim Smith is located in Annaka about an hour and a bit out of Tokyo by bullet train. He can set you up for a day (or more) of rural riding.
https://www.gsastuto.com/rentals.html
Old 07-11-2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
Tim Smith is located in Annaka about an hour and a bit out of Tokyo by bullet train. He can set you up for a day (or more) of rural riding.
https://www.gsastuto.com/rentals.html

This is about half-way between Takasaki and Karuizawa, so maybe 90 minutes by Shinkansen from Tokyo Station. The riding out 30 miles towards Karuizawa will be very nice. You have Manza Onsen, Kusatsu Onsen, and a zillion really nice roads in the area. The climbing can be really challenging.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkycalvin View Post
if it is an expensive bike, you want to lock it well in a busy spot and not too long in bigger urban areas. Bike thieves are everywhere and high end bikes get parted out and sold pretty quickly. There was even a ring of thieves who were shipping whole bikes offshore a few years ago.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:41 PM
Dirt Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Your biggest hurdle if you don't bring your own bike is rental. There are a few options in Osaka, and a Giant-owned shop near Otsu that will rent bikes. The latter does require some rather circuitous routing though.
Thanks that's helpful to know, hadn't considered the rinko bag! I think the ideal way to do a one day ride would be to find somewhere local that you can just pick up the bike, ride out, and then return in the same day - anything more might make more sense to rent a bike for at least a few days to make the hassle worth it. I will do some more digging!

Tags
gravel, japan, rental, travel