Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 03:08 PM

customs issue? maybe? maybe no?

Getting my groupset here from the UK has been a nightmare.

Seller (who has a stellar reputation, BTW) emails me to let me know my package was held up because they did not have a phone number. I gave them my no., they passed it one to shipping (Royal mail) but they sent the package back to seller.

Seller then sends me an email to say that they reshipped airmail expedited (at their expense). Package should be here this week.

Today I get a garbled voicemail from NYC stating something vrgbsdes siebi with some numbers and to call them.

I call them and wait on the phone forever so they can check what is happening and my package is held hostage at JFK for customs, duties, taxes, whatnot. I need to pay them but they don't have an email and that is how they invoice.

I give them the email this morning, and I still have not received an email from them.

Am I getting a package?

Routing says may parcel has arrived at the shipping facility. Does not say it is in route.

I've had dozens of watches shipped both ways over the years with nary a hitch (unless they came from Canada). As long as you stated the watch was for parts or repair, it would usually clear customs. Maybe since these are new parts that would be lying and they can't do that, but still.

I want my group.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Customs Issue

Yikes, I just bought a Merckx frameset from the Netherlands, my first overseas purchase. I hope your issues aren't typical. Best of luck.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:01 PM

IME Netherlands is never a problem.

I have used UK sites twice or so and never had a problem, but i dont buy 2000 bucks out off stuff tho.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 PM

Luckily the two orders I've had come in from overseas just took a few weeks to get here. One was France and the other was the UK. Sorry to hear about your issues and hope it all gets straightened out.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Is this from a private seller or a commercial seller? I have heard of some similar issues regarding ProbikeKit and a specific "customs clearing" house in NYC that they use, where the clearing house will contact people and ask for custom/brokerage fees directly to customers before releasing the package further down the delivery chain. This as far as I know is only relevant to ProbikeKit UK, that is until I read what you post. Most other carriers, i.e. UPS, DHL, FedEx, will mail you a bill a couple of weeks after delivery or will bill you at the time of delivery (UPS).

Otherwise, your experience is very a-typical. Hopefully it gets sorted out quick and smoothly.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 PM

I don't mind paying the ransom, so long as it is legit.

Still no email, so no way to even check on it.

So if it lands at one of these intermediary places, they won't ship until customs are paid?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Is this from a private seller or a commercial seller? I have heard of some similar issues regarding ProbikeKit and a specific "customs clearing" house in NYC that they use, where the clearing house will contact people and ask for custom/brokerage fees directly to customers before releasing the package further down the delivery chain. This as far as I know is only relevant to ProbikeKit UK, that is until I read what you post. Most other carriers, i.e. UPS, DHL, FedEx, will mail you a bill a couple of weeks after delivery or will bill you at the time of delivery (UPS).

Otherwise, your experience is very a-typical. Hopefully it gets sorted out quick and smoothly.
Not probikekit, just a small shop out of the U.K.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's been a while, but I've ordered stuff from PBK and Wiggle several time with no shipping or customs issues. In fact, several of the packages arrived as fast as they might have if shipped from a US location.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 PM
aka RAEKWON

I would call em back and ask for the email, also did you check your spam?

You will only get the package if you pay the fees so you need to do whatever it takes to pay those fees in order for them to release the package.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I don't mind paying the ransom, so long as it is legit.

Still no email, so no way to even check on it.

So if it lands at one of these intermediary places, they won't ship until customs are paid?
I personally have not had an issue like this happen on international orders, however I did come across a thread on another forum where the shop I referred above uses this intermediary "Air City Post" that will indeed collect the duties/brokerage fees above certain value threshold before allowing the package to proceed.
Here is that thread FYI
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot...am-344020.html
Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 PM

I got held up by Air City Post when I ordered a set of DA 9000 calipers from PBK. The total order was about $225 and the Air City post surcharge was another $26. I think the actual customs duty was .95 and handlng charges were $25. Most of my orders are tires, cassettes and chains for $100 - $150 and I have yet to be dinged for those.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I personally have not had an issue like this happen on international orders, however I did come across a thread on another forum where the shop I referred above uses this intermediary "Air City Post" that will indeed collect the duties/brokerage fees above certain value threshold before allowing the package to proceed.
Here is that thread FYI
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot...am-344020.html
Well that's a little disconcerting.

I'll call in the morning. The voicemail I got is just crazy distorted, couldn't make sense of it, which made me suspicious.

I don't understand how a company can intercept a package sent to you. It should transfer to the next major carrier in line, I would think, and be their job to collect any fees.

Plus, it kills the " hey I got a pretty good real on this group" feeling I've had for the last month.

It's not my fault that the original sender didn't have my phone number. I would've given them one in the beginning if they asked for it.

I've been planning this group purchase for over six months now and was so excited to finally find it in new condition, and the seller had stellar reviews, which maybe doesn't mean crap regarding international sales.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
I got held up by Air City Post when I ordered a set of DA 9000 calipers from PBK. The total order was about $225 and the Air City post surcharge was another $26. I think the actual customs duty was .95 and handlng charges were $25. Most of my orders are tires, cassettes and chains for $100 - $150 and I have yet to be dinged for those.
They want $200.00 for a $1500 group.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

import tax + convenience fee probably. You can read TONS of horror stories about people getting stuff shipped form bike shops from the UK and getting stupid fees, sometimes the fee is like half of the item because of the convenience fee. Yours is a little high though, I would search into it because they might have given you a higher fee since they don't know what a groupset it (different products have different fees AFAIK)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 AM

Never had this issue

Maybe things have changed but I used to buy a bunch of stuff from probikekit and totalcycling and never had any issues with delay or customs fees at time of receipt or after. I also have, more recently, purchased some odds and ends (mostly carbon stuff) from China sellers on eBay, and have been amazed at how quickly items arrive (with no customs fees appearing either).

Love our small world connected economy.

On second thought, maybe I'm not getting the fees as I live in the Republic of Texas and not America like most of you.