Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2024, 01:14 PM

Wyoming gravel?

I'm spending about 9 days with family in Wyoming (based in Jackson Hole) next month and debating whether I should bring a bike or not. Not really interested in road riding there but I'm having some trouble finding compelling gravel routes. Seems like there's some mountain biking within an hour or so, but I'd like to ride with my dad and he doesn't really mountain bike.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-11-2024, 02:04 PM

Jackson has an extensive bike path system that is well maintained and for the most part, pedestrian free. It's also the quickest way around town. There are some longer dirt roads such as Cache Creek, but you have to remember Jackson has a healthy grizzly population and there are more than enough bike routes that are heavily traveled and you're less likely to surprise a bear. There are also large populations of elk and moose that hang out around the outskirts of town. Just do a Google map search and choose bike routes. Lots of green lines.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:09 PM

At the bare minimum, you should bring your bike so you can ride with your dad on the greenways between Jackson and Teton National Park / Jenny Lake / Jackson Lake. Once you get to the lakes there's gravel paths to enjoy.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:09 PM

Spring Gulch Road and the roads off of that? The Moose-Wilson Road up near the park? The National Elk Refuge Road NE of town? Which continues on to Flat Creek Road or Curtis Canyon?

You could also drive up between Grand Teton and Yellowstone and ride the Flagg Ranch road. I know there are also plenty of dirt roads off of highway 287 near the pass that goes over to Dubois, but I haven't ridden those at all.

Seems like there's plenty of interesting forest service roads to explore, which is kind of exactly what gravel bikes are for.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:41 PM

I don't have any specific recommendations in Jackson but will +1 the map out some forest service roads recommendations. Here's a trip report from ages ago when I did a ride from West Yellowstone MT to Driggs to Boise ID by doing just that. So the other side of the Tetons, but there's a lot of National Forest and Wilderness areas that I think just make some routes that take anything but the main highways and go up some big hills and I think you'll make for some good rides.

https://curvesandcorners.tumblr.com/...hile-since-ive

I'm going to further east Wyoming in August to spend a week in Thermopolis. Debating whether to take a bicycle or just stick to the fly fishing rod for that trip.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post

I'm going to further east Wyoming in August to spend a week in Thermopolis. Debating whether to take a bicycle or just stick to the fly fishing rod for that trip.
Thermopolis could be tougher since the best topography for riding near town would be in the Wind River Reservation. I don't know how they treat recreation use on their land. At least for backpacking in the Wind River Mountains, there's a daily use fee. (Not too expensive, though.)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:54 PM

jealous! It sounds like great riding there!
Old 06-12-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I'm in Worland and spent last weekend in Riverton umpiring a American Legion baseball tournament. I was in Thermop last night umpiring baseball. Thermop is what you make it, gravel-wise. There are several dirt roads leading out of the state park going different directions with spectacular scenery. Riverton has a long rail trail and Lander has several excellent gravel loops. I live up against BLM land which has hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads to explore. I always use my Garmin because many of the roads don't appear on maps, and worst case, I can just follow the blue line back home, even if Garmin doesn't think it's a road.

The Wind River/Bighorn is pretty popular right now. I recommend getting a guide in Thermop to take you out on a boat. If you want to make the trip, Medicine Lodge Creek Archeological Site State Park has very good fly fishing with decent browns. Just put on some Teva sandals get in down stream, and wade your way up. My wife and I usually catch (and release) 30-40 fish a day.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:47 PM

Wow, thank you all! Looking forward to doing a lot of gravel riding while I'm out there!
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

wow, great info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm in Worland and spent last weekend in Riverton umpiring a American Legion baseball tournament. I was in Thermop last night umpiring baseball. Thermop is what you make it, gravel-wise. There are several dirt roads leading out of the state park going different directions with spectacular scenery. Riverton has a long rail trail and Lander has several excellent gravel loops. I live up against BLM land which has hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads to explore. I always use my Garmin because many of the roads don't appear on maps, and worst case, I can just follow the blue line back home, even if Garmin doesn't think it's a road.

The Wind River/Bighorn is pretty popular right now. I recommend getting a guide in Thermop to take you out on a boat. If you want to make the trip, Medicine Lodge Creek Archeological Site State Park has very good fly fishing with decent browns. Just put on some Teva sandals get in down stream, and wade your way up. My wife and I usually catch (and release) 30-40 fish a day.