Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 12:06 PM

Think I need to raise my bars on one bike. How is best?

Have several bikes (surprise), and one of them has about 15mm more drop than the others. Lately, been having low back issues and it seems worse on this one. So I would like to raise the bars but keep the reach the same.
I can't add spacers. Bike is 21 years old, fork is cut, and there is no more room under the stem for a spacer.
I could get a new stem, with more rise but I'm using a Ritchey C220 6 degree now and it already looks odd. I'll need to get past that, but using this calc http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php the only thing that really fits the bill is an oddball 12 degree that Enve wants $300 for.
So would I be better off getting a new fork and doing spacers? I don't really need to add much.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:08 PM

specialized hover bars
Old 05-19-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
specialized hover bars
WHAT?! Sorcery! Never heard of this and it might be perfect. Any others do this?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:23 PM

It is pretty easy to find 17 degree stems. But as you said it doesn't look the best. I think those Hover bars are a great solution.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Have several bikes (surprise), and one of them has about 15mm more drop than the others. Lately, been having low back issues and it seems worse on this one. So I would like to raise the bars but keep the reach the same.
I can't add spacers. Bike is 21 years old, fork is cut, and there is no more room under the stem for a spacer.
I could get a new stem, with more rise but I'm using a Ritchey C220 6 degree now and it already looks odd. I'll need to get past that, but using this calc http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php the only thing that really fits the bill is an oddball 12 degree that Enve wants $300 for.
So would I be better off getting a new fork and doing spacers? I don't really need to add much.
Lots of brands make 12 degree stems.......

- Specialized SL stem - Looks good on smaller tube frames
- FSA
- Zipp

I think there are a few others also.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:29 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
WHAT?! Sorcery! Never heard of this and it might be perfect. Any others do this?
yep look a little funky from the front but work well. The alloy bars are a bit too "skinny" for my preference and there are two versions - one has flared drops and is nice for gravel bike; the carbon ones are much more comfortable (and of course much more $$) with a wider top. Drop is shallow which also helps I think when trying to get higher position at the front end.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Not my jam for bars, but I know a lot of people who use and recommend them. They're a really easy solution if you're only looking for that 15mm rise.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:35 PM
You still here?

Quote:
The hover bars answered my need for a 15mm rise in the front. They're comfortable too.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:48 PM

Ok, the Hover bars look like a good plan. Now, before I buy and get surprised...where to you put your computer? I ride with a wahoo bolt out front, not on the stem. Plus a Frankenbell. Plus a blinky. Are these gonna fit? That area that rises looks to be where I would put those. The bell and light don't matter if they are angled, but the computer does. What do you guys do?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:55 PM

I'm not quite sure why changing stem angle is so despised, but Specialized make a stem with a huge amount of angle adjustability. The Specialized Comp stem uses an angled shim between the steerer and stem, and the stem comes with 4 shims: 0 deg, +/-2 deg, +/- 4 deg. (Note: The shim is located inside the stem's steerer clamp, and the only visible portion of the shim is a small lip just below the stem.) The Comp stem is is available in 3 different raw angles: 12 deg, 17 deg, and 24 deg.

For exampled, using the included shims, a 12 deg. stem can be installed with the following angles (in degrees)

-16, -14, -12, -10, -8, +8, +10, +12, +14, +16

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...=228546-156570
Old 05-19-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, the Hover bars look like a good plan. Now, before I buy and get surprised...where to you put your computer? I ride with a wahoo bolt out front, not on the stem. Plus a Frankenbell. Plus a blinky. Are these gonna fit? That area that rises looks to be where I would put those. The bell and light don't matter if they are angled, but the computer does. What do you guys do?
Well, you know ...

In a previous discussion about the Hover bars, I made the argument that using them to raise the hand position was less practical than using a taller angle stem, because the Hover bars eliminate useful area on the handle bars to install things like computers, or lights, or bags, or other handlebar mounted accessories. This opinion was met with derision, and aspersions that I was clearly some type of cretin, and besides, all the cool kids were using Hover bars, so what did I know.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I believe that handlebars should be shaped for hand comfort in the various positions and to be able to install accessories in ergonomic locations. And that the "correct" stem length and angle is whatever is required to position the handlebars in the desired location for good fit - regardless of whether that length or angle is fashionable.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Well, you know ...

In a previous discussion about the Hover bars, I made the argument that using them to raise the hand position was less practical than using a taller angle stem, because the Hover bars eliminate useful area on the handle bars to install things like computers, or lights, or bags, or other handlebar mounted accessories. This opinion was met with derision, and aspersions that I was clearly some type of cretin, and besides, all the cool kids were using Hover bars, so what did I know.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I believe that handlebars should be shaped for hand comfort in the various positions and to be able to install accessories in ergonomic locations. And that the "correct" stem length and angle is whatever is required to position the handlebars in the desired location for good fit - regardless of whether that length or angle is fashionable.
Any chance of a link to that discussion? Did a search for "Hover" and there are quite a few for something I'd never heard of.
That stem also looks like and option. One size is out of stock. Care to guess which one I need?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:27 PM

Hovers

On my 42cm Hovers there was 8.5 cm’s of central bar before it starts curving up
Old 05-19-2022, 01:48 PM

Ritchey makes 3 different models of a 15mm riser bar. The carbon ones have a flatter top similar to an aero bar.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:53 PM

After I had shoulder surgery and was healing, I used those Hover Bars to get the bike in a position I could ride it in. I didn't have any trouble at all installing my bike computer mount and cross levers, even with the funky shape of the bars. They are also very reasonably priced. They worked just fine for me!

(Already sold mine or I'd offer here.)