Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2020, 10:03 PM

Ridley Fenix SL - Opinions?

Looks like Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist is clearing these things out at 50% off framesets, or, $999.

They seem like they'd be pretty good fit as an all day road bike, although I will admit the tall BB at 6.6cm drop puts me off - I would think a bike like that would go lower. I've owned two bikes with taller BB's - Salsa Chili Con Crosso (Scandium frame, probably the nicest riding bike I ever owned) and a Ridley aluminum crit bike, forget the model - and both of them had somewhat odd handling traits and didnt feel like the most stable bikes at speed.

Anyone have any experience here? I have an ultegra groupset sitting in a box in the garage, and a set of DT wheels hanging on the wall....
Old 04-22-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Looks like Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist is clearing these things out at 50% off framesets, or, $999.

They seem like they'd be pretty good fit as an all day road bike, although I will admit the tall BB at 6.6cm drop puts me off - I would think a bike like that would go lower. I've owned two bikes with taller BB's - Salsa Chili Con Crosso (Scandium frame, probably the nicest riding bike I ever owned) and a Ridley aluminum crit bike, forget the model - and both of them had somewhat odd handling traits and didnt feel like the most stable bikes at speed.

Anyone have any experience here? I have an ultegra groupset sitting in a box in the garage, and a set of DT wheels hanging on the wall....
Ridley's former U.S. distributor was particularly fond of that model. It seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:35 AM

I have a size M 2019 helium slx and was leery of the bb drop figure, especially as I favor drop in the 76-80 mm range. The helium is truly a wonderful riding and handling bike. I think it would be even better if it had more drop but as is its a very fine bike. The carbon layup of the sl vs slx are different which likely impacts the ride. My slx is quite comfortable but also torsionally rigid enough.

I also have an xtrail and it rides quite a bit harsher than the helium with road wheels. With tires over 30mm and appropriate pressure it rides well. The xtrail does have a lower bb than the Fenix or helium.

I am a ridley fan and think they are under appreciated in the USA. I wouldn't hesitate to try a Fenix if I was in the market for a bike of that type and the fit was right.

Last edited by chrisroph; 04-23-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM
DELETE ACCNT

It's a great bike with a long pedigree.
Ridley tends to have a slightly taller headtube compared to all out racing bikes, but the Fenix was always intended as an all-around bike.

Fenix has been the main choice for team Lotto Soudal for many years now, with little change in geometry. I believe the SL is the lighter weight update with different carbon layup. If that matters to you.

Well regarded for great handling.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:07 PM
50 bpm

Sold the Fenix SLs in my last year at PBS and they were comfortable, all-day rides.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:10 PM

I have a 2016 Helium SL that I picked up from CC on sale a couple of years ago. The SLX started in 2017 I believe, same geo as the previous version but ~30g lighter and a couple Gs more money.

From a quick glance at the geo charts the Fenix is pretty darn similar to the Helium. Identical BB drop and they're within a couple millimeters on stack & reach. Admittedly I have not ridden nearly as many different bikes or the variety of geometries that many other paceliners have, but FWIW the Helium feels like a very nice handling bike to me. I've done century rides on mine and it's comfortable & smooth enough for that. In size L (58.5 ETT) it weighs 15.4 lbs built up with SR11 mechanical, Deda Superleggera cockpit, and HED Ardennes+ alloy clinchers. Light-ish parts but not down-the-rabbit-hole weight weenie stuff. With carbon tubulars I could probably get it sub-15 lbs.

Never ridden a Fenix, but again, the geo of these Ridleys (particularly the HT being tall-for-size) lends itself well to all-day riding. Fenix weighs ~300g more than a Helium, but is available in disc at the ~$1K price point and should clear 28s. Should be a good ride if those are boxes you need ticked.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I have a 2016 Helium SL that I picked up from CC on sale a couple of years ago. The SLX started in 2017 I believe, same geo as the previous version but ~30g lighter and a couple Gs more money.
The main difference between the SL and SLX was the fork.

The new disc SLX is pretty intriguing, though I have no need for it, too many bikes, etc.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 PM

I have a 2008 Ridley Damocles. The Damocles is no longer manufactured. It was Ridley's first carbon bike, and was ridden in professional cycling by Lotto (in the time of Cadel Evans and Robbie McEwen) and Katusha. I believe the Fenix is based on the Damocles. I can't speak about the Fenix from experience, but I can tell you that I have been extremely pleased with the Damocles. Based on my ownership of the Damocles, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Fenix, Helium, or Noah.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:44 PM

l love my Helium SL so much I bought a second one.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:36 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
I have a 2008 Ridley Damocles. The Damocles is no longer manufactured. It was Ridley's first carbon bike, and was ridden in professional cycling by Lotto (in the time of Cadel Evans and Robbie McEwen) and Katusha. I believe the Fenix is based on the Damocles. I can't speak about the Fenix from experience, but I can tell you that I have been extremely pleased with the Damocles. Based on my ownership of the Damocles, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Fenix, Helium, or Noah.
The Noah was designed with then-Lotto rider Robbie Mcewen and the bike is named after his son so I hear.
Incidentally, Robbie owns a great beachfront coffee shop in QLD. He owns the strava KOM down that stretch

Last edited by pasadena; 04-24-2020 at 01:54 PM.