Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2016, 05:43 AM

Any reason to still ride tubulars for recreational riding??

I have always had at least one set of tubulars for each road bike. Back 20+ years ago when I was riding crits I saw a reason to run tubulars.
But in this day and age of great clincher wheels and tires I am finding it harder to justify riding tubulars for recreational riding. When I was doing lots of climbs and hi=speed descents I liked the idea of tubulars.
Now I find myself running my alloy clinchers over my carbon tubies. They ride just as good as a good set of tubs with less cost and flat repair is easier on the road.
And now that there are some great carbon clincher wheels in medium profiles it is getting harder to justify tubulars.
My alloy clinchers are not as stiff or jarring over less than perfect roads and the braking in so much more controlled.
I just think that I have tubulars for nostalgia or sentimental reasons of days gone by.
I have ridden some tubies to the cords and other puncture with in 100 miles.
Im just thinking out loud have and trying to justify if I really need a few sets of tubulars and all the associated aspects that go with them.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 AM

No, there is no reason to justify riding tubulars for recreational riding. This has been discussed before, and determined conclusively.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 AM

Ride what you want to.

Nothing beats carbon tubulars for my money.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Epic=No Smiles

If you cycle for recreation, you should use whatever tires make you happiest. I like gumwall tubulars because they ride nice and look nice. Cost of tires is basically immaterial when you only ride a few thousand miles per year and gluing can be viewed as fun or a chore. Don't think there's a right call here. If you prefer clinchers, by all means, use them. On the other hand, if you prefer tubulars, no reason to change. The fact that you use the phrase "all the other aspects" makes me think clinchers are your best bet.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 AM

I'm right there with you. I ride both, like both, and am constantly torn.

It makes buying wheels very hard because you have to make that damn choice...do I want them to be tubular or clincher?

When on tubs I have this gnawing "what are we doing to ourselves with clinchers" thought as the ride is so good.

Then I switch to clinchers and think"man, these aren't that bad."

Gives us something to argue about, I guess.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 AM

I have one recreational bike with tubulars on it. It is the crown jewel in my bike collection and I only ride it very occasionally. I usually save it for special occasions.

For me, it means a lot that I keep it as original as possible. I really value the experience of riding a time capsule. So, I ride the tubulars.

In this photo, the only things fitted that aren't from 1985 are the Veloflex tubulars, a longer stem, and the bottle cage.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have always had at least one set of tubulars for each road bike. Back 20+ years ago when I was riding crits I saw a reason to run tubulars.
But in this day and age of great clincher wheels and tires I am finding it harder to justify riding tubulars for recreational riding. When I was doing lots of climbs and hi=speed descents I liked the idea of tubulars.
Now I find myself running my alloy clinchers over my carbon tubies. They ride just as good as a good set of tubs with less cost and flat repair is easier on the road.
And now that there are some great carbon clincher wheels in medium profiles it is getting harder to justify tubulars.
My alloy clinchers are not as stiff or jarring over less than perfect roads and the braking in so much more controlled.
I just think that I have tubulars for nostalgia or sentimental reasons of days gone by.
I have ridden some tubies to the cords and other puncture with in 100 miles.
Im just thinking out loud have and trying to justify if I really need a few sets of tubulars and all the associated aspects that go with them.
Oh no, thought winter was over...ride tubulars, clinchers are for Nancys.

BTW, I ride tubies everyday on both my bikes. I see no compelling reason to change to girlie tires->
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM

Beautiful De Rosa and Deltas. I'm very jealous.
Old Potato is spot on as usual😉
Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
If you cycle for recreation, you should use whatever tires make you happiest. I like gumwall tubulars because they ride nice and look nice. Cost of tires is basically immaterial when you only ride a few thousand miles per year and gluing can be viewed as fun or a chore. Don't think there's a right call here. If you prefer clinchers, by all means, use them. On the other hand, if you prefer tubulars, no reason to change. The fact that you use the phrase "all the other aspects" makes me think clinchers are your best bet.
The miles and glueing are what breaks it for me. At 900 - 1,200 miles a month with my long days out of SAG range, I can't make it work on my everyday wheels. My races are too long with no SAG to survive a double puncture on tubulars. For me, it can only be an occasional pleasure.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Count me in for pro-tubulars.

Ride, light weight, the gong fu of maintenance, tape, careful selection of tire, that smooth rim-tire interface....

Stan's, core remover, rubber cement, and a small hand pump.

I'll also add that I rode C24s with Corsa Evo CX clinchers (the 320TPI version) and latex tubes. I still found the ride quality to be different, and punctures higher than my similar tubular setup.

Last edited by frank_h; 03-16-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
No, there is no reason to justify riding tubulars for recreational riding. This has been discussed before, and determined conclusively.
You are kidding, right?

100% tubular, and can't imagine ever riding clinchers for any reason... ride quality sucks, grip sucks, cornering sucks, puncture all the time. Thpbpbpbpbpb!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM
The B!

I've also successfully converted a couple guys, recently.

The only guys who don't ride tubular (who know the difference, anyway) are guys who haven't yet manned up and taught themselves the somewhat arcane art. Yea - if you have to take your wheels into the shop any time you want to change tires, that'd be lame. But it takes me no more time to change a tubular than a clincher, and everything else is way better.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:42 PM

The only reason that I need-I like 'em. Can't understand why people will spend 5,6,8,10 grand on a bike and then are afraid of tubulars. They rarely flat and if so its simple to change. I don't repair them-that's just a cost of riding bikes. For those on the fence-over 6k miles/yr and only one flat last two years.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
I have one recreational bike with tubulars on it. It is the crown jewel in my bike collection and I only ride it very occasionally. I usually save it for special occasions.

For me, it means a lot that I keep it as original as possible. I really value the experience of riding a time capsule. So, I ride the tubulars.

In this photo, the only things fitted that aren't from 1985 are the Veloflex tubulars, a longer stem, and the bottle cage.

Schwingggg!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:44 PM

I got tired of getting flats in 100 bucks a pop clinchers, came back to tubulars and 3x50 bucks arent the best in the market but if i get flat I just toss them, since I dont flat them I use them till they are dead and you get balloons coming out the sides, and thats pretty much after a full season?

For the 100 bucks you get a continental clincher you can get like 8 vittoria rally that arent the best tubulars around but for like 13 bucks a pop as with the 3x50 bucks you just toss them, with some luck you can get 1 or 2 seasons out of this ones, making them way cheaper than dealing with clinchers.

I got one set of veloflex a friend gave me, they were ok, very soft IMO, i would not race in those but well for the type of riding I do are more than enough, retired them because you were able to see the linings underneath. Probably I would be able to continue using them for at least 500 more kms because they blow up but thats tempting my luck. Same with a gatorskin... a gift... retired... never a puncture after close to year and a half?