Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2024, 10:11 AM

Donation Programs for Used Gear

Anyone know of any donation programs for used cycling stuff - mostly parts not apparel?
Old 06-13-2024, 10:13 AM

Where do you live? There are lots of places, but they tend to be local operations.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:14 AM

CCB Racing (MA) donates stuff from parts to clothing to bikes to a developmental/youth/cycling club in the Dominion Republic. Fortunately, they have a supply chain dude who picks up the gear.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:17 AM
Strong Walker

https://www.bikesfortheworld.org/
Old 06-13-2024, 10:22 AM

Recycled Bike 4 Kids in North Little Rock accepts donations they can sell to raise money for building kids bikes.
I'm sure other places have similar programs.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:25 AM

Depending on the type of gear you might be better off to sell it and donate the $$.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:55 AM

Guitar Ted of Trans-Iowa and Gravel Cycling Hall of Fame renown works for the Waterloo Bicycle Collective in Iowa, I've sent them some parts I no longer needed.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:17 PM

Indiana University Student Foundation

I've donated numerous clothing items and various parts to the Indiana University Student Foundation in Bloomington, Indiana. Its the organization that puts on the Little 500 bicycle race every year for the students.

I have a son on a Little 500 team and came to realize how large of a cycling community the university has. Every team, mens and womens, has to have their rookie riders go thru a qualification process which includes road rides. Because of this, every year they have upwards of 75-ish people, many with no prior experience looking for clothing and gear.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Where do you live? There are lots of places, but they tend to be local operations.
I'm in Las Vegas if anyone knows one.

I'll search for some ones nearby as well as alot of the places listed seem more local, thanks all.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:18 PM

The little bike shop just down the street from me has a relationship with the local co-op.

When I have good stuff I am not using, I donate them to his shop. Anything he wants to re-sell, he can, and anything he doesn't, he gives to the co-op.

Seems like a win-win to me. He's a great resource, always has an inner tube or can provide quick service if I screw something up when I'm wrenching on one of my bikes.

So I would maybe look locally - if there's a good neighborhood shop (if there are any left!), or a co-op, that's where I would donate.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:23 PM

Once a year or so I send a care package of surplus bike stuff to the Bradley Street Bike Co-op in New Haven, CT.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:52 PM
Back At It!

see if you have a local high school MTB/cycling team in the area.. other than that, I like to give to my local COOPs.. yes, they make money if they sell what I donated, but they give a lot back to the community
Old 06-13-2024, 08:36 PM

On another note, when a customer of mine cleaned out his garage and gave me an embarrassing amount of bike stuff, I tried to find young poor racers to get it to. What I did sell, I sold at cheap prices so the buyer would actually value the item, knowing they wouldn't just flip it.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrimbrake View Post
Anyone know of any donation programs for used cycling stuff - mostly parts not apparel?
my .02 here. if you ask around at your local shops, you might find someone who builds or maintains bikes on the side for folks who can't afford to pay shop prices or do not have the tools/skills to do their own maintenance. I found someone local who does this and they get all of my stuff that is usable, in good working condition, and that I don't want to sell or sits for too long 'for sale'. it's a win for everyone and I get to drop off a box annually full of nice usable parts that will go to use.