Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 12:14 PM

How Should I Rebuild This Rockhopper?

Question for the paceliners, who know more about the taste and aesthetics of older bikes.

My girlfriend picked up this grocery-getter bike for pennies and it rides pretty slick, but the bike is in need of a major mechanical overhaul.

It seems to have almost entirely original components - fully kitted out in Shimano Deore LX 7-Speed. Minus the handlebar and right shifter which has been replaced.

How should I rebuild this thing? I can clean and degrease everything, get new brake pads, and maybe even source a proper 7-speed shifter (it's got an 8-speed with a "ghost" shift right now).

Or, I could go full out and replace the whole groupset. There are so many cheap options out there. Though, I'm not sure the compatibility with the 7-speed driver.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by jwin; 05-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM

In my opinion, it's a bike that belongs in the past, so I'd feel it a waste to put new groupset components on it. Clean and repair everything you can, fit a regular stem/bar setup and go and ride.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Administrator

those are really cool frames. what is the intended use?

me? i'd put dirt drops on it, bar end shifters and do crazy adventure rides on it!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
those are really cool frames. what is the intended use?

me? i'd put dirt drops on it, bar end shifters and do crazy adventure rides on it!
Intended use is mostly just riding around town, maybe a couple 30-40 mile gravel rides or a quick overnight bikepack. Maybe I'll convince her to do more in the future.

I think she wants to keep the flat bars for now, the bike also came with the original bars which is cool!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:38 PM

I'd keep the original bars if they fit. The bull-moose design is too cool. If the cable routing allows, I'd source some old XT v-brakes and maybe a 9 speed group. And new tires, maybe something to fit the mostly road little bit of dirt intended usage.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I'd keep the original bars if they fit. The bull-moose design is too cool. If the cable routing allows, I'd source some old XT v-brakes and maybe a 9 speed group. And new tires, maybe something to fit the mostly road little bit of dirt intended usage.
One thing I'm trying to figure out is what cassette I can fit on the rear hub driver? It's an FH-M550 Deore LX Hub. It sounds like I can do some jury-rigging to fit 8 sprockets of a 9-speed cassette or 9sprockets of a 10-speed cassette? That sounds like a chore though.

What would I look for on eBay to find the "era-matching" XT setup for this? That would be sweet, but I'm not familiar with any of the old groupsets.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Agreed. Except I wouldn’t bother with 9-sp. Keep the 7-sp. replace the chain, and ride it.

Cheap Tektro or SRAM v brakes with salmon pads would be better, along with FR5 levers.

I wouldn’t spend money on a dropbar conversion either. Bull moose are sweet.

Should make a nice rider.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Agreed. Except I wouldn’t bother with 9-sp. Keep the 7-sp. replace the chain, and ride it.

Cheap Tektro or SRAM v brakes would be better, along with FR5 levers.

I wouldn’t spend money on a dropbar conversion either. Bull moose are sweet.

Should make a nice rider.
Definitely keeping the bullmoose they are sweet. They need some refinishing, but I'm not sure that's really feasible and will be for another day.

In terms of the brakes, woud it be prescient to replace the whole assembly with a Tektro setup? The levers on the bike are not original and no good. I thought about trying to source a Deore LX setup for the levers, but it sounds like it might be cheaper and better to go to all Tektro?

Some advice here on those who are more familiar with Canti brakes would be awesome. I've never worked on them or used them before.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:09 PM

I would guess everything on that bike works well and as it should, except the shifters which gum up. And tires and pads which as surely dry rotted.

I'd replace the shifters with bar top friction versions. You can go fancy but you could also get these generics for about $12:

https://velo-orange.com/products/fal...thumb-shifters

Tires I'd swap with some slicks like Continental Contact.

Like others have said that is a sweet bike but unless you have an endless parts bin it can become a money pit fast. I'd do the tires, pads, and shifters, give it a little sweat equity in a quick clean and chain lube and call it a day myself.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
Definitely keeping the bullmoose they are sweet. They need some refinishing, but I'm not sure that's really feasible and will be for another day.

In terms of the brakes, woud it be prescient to replace the whole assembly with a Tektro setup? The levers on the bike are not original and no good. I thought about trying to source a Deore LX setup for the levers, but it sounds like it might be cheaper and better to go to all Tektro?

Some advice here on those who are more familiar with Canti brakes would be awesome. I've never worked on them or used them before.
Best Canti brakes I’ve used was Avid Ultimates (but have not used Paul’s). But any v brake will deliver more power.

You may be able to get a good deal on XT or LX brakes, or Avid or Tektro. All are relatively cheap. Avid FR5 levers are something like $15 on eBay. Brakes can be had for $20 or so. And another $12-14 for Kool Stop pads.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
in my opinion, it's a bike that belongs in the past, so i'd feel it a waste to put new groupset components on it. Clean and repair everything you can, fit a regular stem/bar setup and go and ride.
+1
Old 05-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Best Canti brakes I’ve used was Avid Ultimates (but have not used Paul’s). But any v brake will deliver more power.

You may be able to get a good deal on XT or LX brakes, or Avid or Tektro. All are relatively cheap. Avid FR5 levers are something like $15 on eBay. Brakes can be had for $20 or so. And another $12-14 for Kool Stop pads.
Are the Kool-Stops essential regardless? I am looking at the Tektro CR720's which for $50 comes with a set with new pads, new cable carriers and cables. This bike needs everything but the actual calipers for sure, so this seems like a good deal off the bat.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:42 PM

I would go with 7 speed thumbshifters if you can find some, SL-MT62 (DX) or SL-M732 (XT). I believe there was an LX model but I'm not sure of the model (SL_MT550/1/2 ?) The XT brake levers were models BL-M732 (4 finger) and BL-M733 (2 finger). The DX levers were models BL-MT62 (4 finger) and BL-MT63 (2 finger). Cantilever brakes were BR-M732 (XT), BR-M734 (XT super low profile), BR-MT62 (DX), BR-M651 (DX low profile), BR-M650 (DX super low profile), and BR-M550 (LX).
Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
Are the Kool-Stops essential regardless? I am looking at the Tektro CR720's which for $50 comes with a set with new pads, new cable carriers and cables. This bike needs everything but the actual calipers for sure, so this seems like a good deal off the bat.
Forget cantilever brakes. Go v brakes. And stock Tektro pads aren’t that great. New pads are cheap.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Forget cantilever brakes. Go v brakes. And stock Tektro pads aren’t that great. New pads are cheap.

They're so ugly though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk