Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 08:37 PM

Quality Combo Wrenches

I have a set of Craftsman professional metric combo wrenches that have served me well as my main wrench set for years, but there are a few that aren't as tight as fit as I'd like, mostly in smaller sizes used on bikes 7, 9, & 10mm. I liked how the Craftsman pro felt in my hand, but a warranty won't get a nice full chromed wrench with current state of Craftsman. Other than tool truck or big box store brands, who some of you guys using for combo wrenches these days?
Old 02-29-2024, 08:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

How much do you want to spend?

Here are some nice options:

https://www.kctool.com/search.php?qu...20wrench%20set

Edit: Click the "stock status" filter to only see the "in stock" options. I left it as showing everything so you could get a better idea of the total world of options.

Last edited by Louis; 02-29-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:42 PM

FWIW, in the last year, i broke a 45 year old SK breaker bar and a 25 year old Stanley ratchet. Both companies warrantied them and I had replacements right away. Warranties are still a thing!
Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 AM

I think the issue is getting a similar quality item back. When craftsman was still a Sears brand and miusa you knew that the replacement was not a crummier item.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:54 AM

Because I'm a doofus, and would lose my own head if it wasn't welded to my neck, I ended up with two of these sets. They may be larger than you want, but I'd be happy to sell a set.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-020231-j...set-11-pieces/
Old 03-01-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Because I'm a doofus, and would lose my own head if it wasn't welded to my neck, I ended up with two of these sets. They may be larger than you want, but I'd be happy to sell a set.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-020231-j...set-11-pieces/
Those Wera combo wrenches look really nice! I've got the Wera Toolcheck-plus ratchet set and find it so versatile. Their tools are top notch!
Old 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I purchased a Stahlwille set a few months ago and IMO they are some of the nicest wrenches that I've ever used.

Facom also makes some quality tools.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:05 AM

I had my older Craftsman sockets/wrenches stolen a while back and ended up replacing with Tekton and have been very happy with them.

They seem to have the reputation of being higher quality at *reasonable* price and that's been my experience so far.

https://www.tekton.com/about-us

I was a little patient with my purchase(s) and picked up most everything on sale since they seem to cycle through sales regularly.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
FWIW, in the last year, i broke a 45 year old SK breaker bar and a 25 year old Stanley ratchet. Both companies warrantied them and I had replacements right away. Warranties are still a thing!
I realize they might replace them under warranty, though I have nothing to prove I was the original owner. Since they haven't made the professional line for a few years now I'm not so sure I'd want what they send as a replacement. I also have a non-pro set of craftsman wrenches, they work fine, but they don't feel the same in the hand. The professional line was fully polished, and a little longer than the regular set. 1st world problems, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
I think the issue is getting a similar quality item back. When craftsman was still a Sears brand and miusa you knew that the replacement was not a crummier item.
This is why I'm looking at other options. I'm sure their current offerings would work fine. I used them professionally for a few years, plus all the abuse I gave them at home, I don't think they owe me anything at this point. Plus its nice to get something new and shiny.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:36 PM

Gearwrench

I have been buying Gearwrench tools lately. I find that they are very precise, well made and are of good value. The finish is nice and I like that they fit fasteners well. https://gearwrenchshop.com/collectio...on-wrench-sets
Old 03-01-2024, 03:04 PM

What's your price point? You mentioned truck brands, so assuming that's in your budget, there's always Nepros if you're looking for tools that are also jewelry.

https://www.amazon.com/Nepros-Combin.../dp/B001EQFRN4
Old 03-01-2024, 07:21 PM

Sounds like time to watch Project Farm on YouTube. I’m sure he’s done combo wrenches and always entertaining.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
mostly in smaller sizes used on bikes 7, 9, & 10mm.
What bicycle fasteners require the use of combo wrenches? I work on all sorts of stuff in my garage, but I'm struggling to recall the last time I needed a box or open ended wrench to work on a bike, aside from track hubs and maybe a pedal wrench?

For my other needs, most of my hand tools these days are a mixed bag of really old stuff and what I've bought for specific needs. If I need something new, my first stop is kctool to see what they've got. I have not been disappointed by wera and facom, for sure.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:23 PM

Have you looked at flare nut wrenches? They're great for those smaller size you mentioned, even if they don't need the torque of a hydro fitting they're intended for.

That said, I've got a set of Mac "precision torque" wrenches that I enjoy the hell out of.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 03-02-2024, 12:53 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What bicycle fasteners require the use of combo wrenches? I work on all sorts of stuff in my garage, but I'm struggling to recall the last time I needed a box or open ended wrench to work on a bike, aside from track hubs and maybe a pedal wrench?
At the very first Cino I attended, not long after the pavement ended a guy ahead of me pulled off to the side with bike problems. I and a few others stopped to help and we found that his RD cable was slipping at the derailleur, which being old school was a hex head instead of an allen. Fortunately I had my 'Cool Tool' which has an adjustable wrench so we able to get him going again.

I've used it to help others a few times since then. Many vintage brake and derailleurs have hex head cable-fixing bolts.