Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2023, 11:08 PM

Shimano brake conversion: recessed to nutted?

I could just go the Tektro route but I’m looking for a short reach brake and the silver 9 speed Shimano era is just much more beautiful. I have a set of 6500 brakes and 7700 brakes.

Is it possible and has anyone had success in converting these brakes from recessed to nutted?

FWIW - I’ve seen the exploded diagrams of each of these brakes but shimano doesn’t seem to disclose what size that main brake assembly bolt is. I have a long bolt from Tektro…I wonder if it would fit into one of these Shimano brakes? It looks like a bit of a hassle to disassemble the brake so I thought I’d ask here before I attempt…

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammmm View Post
I could just go the Tektro route but I’m looking for a short reach brake and the silver 9 speed Shimano era is just much more beautiful. I have a set of 6500 brakes and 7700 brakes.

Is it possible and has anyone had success in converting these brakes from recessed to nutted?

FWIW - I’ve seen the exploded diagrams of each of these brakes but shimano doesn’t seem to disclose what size that main brake assembly bolt is. I have a long bolt from Tektro…I wonder if it would fit into one of these Shimano brakes? It looks like a bit of a hassle to disassemble the brake so I thought I’d ask here before I attempt…

Thanks in advance.
I doubt the thru bolts from Tektro brakes would work in shimano calipers.

BUT..you have a 'nutted' frame? Use a recessed front brake on the rear(add a probably 6by1 nylock nut, some spacers). If the fork doesn't allow for a recessed brake up front, REALLY easy to enlarge the hole in the back of the fork to allow a recessed 'nut'. Using a longer one and you can even use the rear brake on the front..Just turn the pads around on both calipers.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:40 AM

It’s an older Serotta track frame. Given it’s a track fork that can accept a nutted brake there’s just not as much “material” on the fork so I don’t feel great about drilling the rear of the fork. Naturally, there’s no rear brake accommodation anyway…

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I doubt the thru bolts from Tektro brakes would work in shimano calipers.

BUT..you have a 'nutted' frame? Use a recessed front brake on the rear(add a probably 6by1 nylock nut, some spacers). If the fork doesn't allow for a recessed brake up front, REALLY easy to enlarge the hole in the back of the fork to allow a recessed 'nut'. Using a longer one and you can even use the rear brake on the front..Just turn the pads around on both calipers.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williammmm View Post

Thanks in advance.
I have just done this with a Dura ace 7800 caliper. I got the bolt from England and I believe it was 70mm...same set of threads as the Shimano bolt..
Old 10-08-2023, 11:12 AM
cnighbor2

Is it possible and has anyone had success in converting these brakes from recessed to

"Is it possible and has anyone had success in converting these brakes from recessed to nutted?"
I have used recessed brakes that were to short for the normal recessed nut by buying a longer recessed nut
To convert to nutted why not just buy a nutted set that are in poor shape and just use the bolts?
Charles
Old 10-09-2023, 04:19 PM

Looks like you might be able to use Tektro (or the Jtek part linked below) Pivot Bolts in Shimano brakes. The description in the link below indicates it can work for most Shimano dual pivot brakes prior to the 11s era. Threads are M7 at the "caliper end" and M6 at the "nut end".

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/j...rsion/?geoc=US
http://www.jtekengineering.com/other...ut-conversion/

Alternatively, I have this thing in my parts collection. I believe it is the stock version of the above Jtek replacement, complete with the radiused washers and nylock nut. I have no idea how long it has been in there or from whence it came. The fact I could find it in <5mins is shocking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PivotBoltNutted1.jpg (58.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg PivotBoltNutted2.jpg (110.3 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Look585; 10-09-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:44 AM

PM’ed ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post

Alternatively, I have this thing in my parts collection. I believe it is the stock version of the above Jtek replacement, complete with the radiused washers and nylock nut. I have no idea how long it has been in there or from whence it came. The fact I could find it in <5mins is shocking.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:50 AM

Did the front-to-back iteration recently on a Marinoni. I bought some threaded long nuts to join the short former rear brake bolt to a simple M5(? or is it M6, can't remember) allen bolt from my parts bin. The setup went:

brake / fork crown / nut in the middle / bolt / fork crown / bolt head

I'd happily send the nut I bought as I have sold the Marinoni.