Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Distracted Ridng, Cyclists And Cell Phones

After six years I finally got a new cell phone last night. When cycling I kept my old cell phone in my seat post bag or in my jersey in a sandwich bag. My new phone is much bigger and way more expensive, I believe I'll keep it in the bag. I never use my phone for nothing other than a way to call someone in an emergency.

Today I was coming home and a cyclist who looks familiar to me was in the left lane (I think he may live in my neighborhood) was riding while looking down at his phone, his thumb working over the screen. He was about three feet from the yellow line and angled towards it, he never looked up from the time I saw him, about thirty or forty yards, till I passed him going in the other direction. There was a car oncoming behind him a good ways away.

That road is a country road with no shoulder and the speed is 55mph.

I use a Garmin 500 and do look at it while riding of course and I'm sure I have wandered in the lane a bit but not that far! I hope his ride went well and just like for cars, I hope they develop a safer way for people to use them while being able to keep their heads up. Speaking of which there are heads up visor displays for cycling are here but not ready for primetime IMO.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:29 PM

HUD displays are a bad fix for refusing to pay attention.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM

congratulations on buying a big expensive cell phone.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

That road is a country road with no shoulder and the speed is 55mph.

does not sound like a safe place to be on a bike in any conditions.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Just leave it at home. Or if you feel you must have it, put it in your bag.

Yesterday, as I drove through our popular local tourist area, a family was walking down the road, some on the shoulder and most in the roadway looking around as they walked and oblivious to traffic coming behind them. Fortunately for them the traffic was me. The father was leading them down the road and he was a good foot out past the white line. Youngest appeared to be about 7 or 8. I was astounded.

But, it got better — when I came back through, I see another family group on bikes near the same spot. A beer truck was pulled mostly off the roadway to make a delivery to a restaurant. The family of about 7-8 people were behind the beer truck in the road and clipped in to ride away. Dad led the way, never looking to check for traffic for about half a block as the rest of the group straggled in behind him. Not a one of them looked for traffic. Again, they were fortunate I was the traffic in their direction of travel. There were cars coming the other way. This is a narrow state highway through a small town or hardly a town. Lots of tourists wandering, locals know to drive carefully and do so mostly. Again I was astounded. How do these people survive?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 PM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
HUD displays are a bad fix for refusing to pay attention.
True, but we have some good features for autos, it would be nice to have better options for cyclists. IMO, in time, we will.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 PM

It's Huuugggeee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
congratulations on buying a big expensive cell phone.
Thanks, Ha! I will keep it six years too! It will be great for work, not so much on the bike.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Safe Is A State Of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
does not sound like a safe place to be on a bike in any conditions.
North Carolina is a great place to ride depending on time of day. I posted many pics on another cycling forum of my routes, love it here.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:57 PM

I Know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Just leave it at home. Or if you feel you must have it, put it in your bag.
Yesterday, as I drove through our popular local tourist area, a family was walking down the road, some on the shoulder and most in the roadway looking around as they walked and oblivious to traffic coming behind them. Fortunately for them the traffic was me. The father was leading them down the road and he was a good foot out past the white line. Youngest appeared to be about 7 or 8. I was astounded.

But, it got better — when I came back through, I see another family group on bikes near the same spot. A beer truck was pulled mostly off the roadway to make a delivery to a restaurant. The family of about 7-8 people were behind the beer truck in the road and clipped in to ride away. Dad led the way, never looking to check for traffic for about half a block as the rest of the group straggled in behind him. Not a one of them looked for traffic. Again, they were fortunate I was the traffic in their direction of travel. There were cars coming the other way. This is a narrow state highway through a small town or hardly a town. Lots of tourists wandering, locals know to drive carefully and do so mostly. Again I was astounded. How do these people survive?
Agree, I will put the phone in the saddle bag.

And yes, I think that when riding a bicycle on the road with autos, some people don't appreciate the level of attention required. Closing speed of a vehicle with a possible inattentive driver leaves little to react for the auto driver and the cyclist. It's as if some are too comfortable.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Yours truly

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I rode a century today and this phone was in my jersey from the time I left my house to the time I got back in. Of course, I am not a social animal like I used so I do not get emails from friends like most people do but the moral of the story is that I seldom use my big fancy phone when I am out riding.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I rode a century today and this phone was in my jersey from the time I left my house to the time I got back in. Of course, I am not a social animal like I used so I do not get emails from friends like most people do but the moral of the story is that I seldom use my big fancy phone when I am out riding.
I got a Note 8 mostly for work and being that I'm a one phone guy it's the phone I have to take on cycling rides now. I don't do social media either and my wife knows when I'm ridding so I don't get calls unless it's an emergency. I'll stow it in the saddle bag.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 AM

I don't have a Garmin or other GPS navigation device, so I use MapMyRide on my phone. Still, I carry it in my back pocket. Not as convenient, I suppose, but also not a distraction. I should bag it for better protection from sweat and rain though.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=Burnette;2408871]
Quote:
I never use my phone for nothing other than a way to call someone in an emergency.
Why not just get a cheapo flip phone and carry that?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;2409003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

Why not just get a cheapo flip phone and carry that?
Don't phones with no monthly plan still make SOS/911 calls?

M
Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 AM

I have just one cell/smart phone that I carry with me in my jersey pocket in a dedicated small bag (actually, a very nice Silca that I got on sale...). It is there for emergencies and on the odd occasion that I take a wrong turn and need to check a map to get back on course. But for those needs, it serves it's purpose well. That's it.