Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Pacemaker Question

In the fall of 2022, I had a pacemaker implanted to address bradycardia. Early in 2023, I contracted Covid for the first time. After that, I began having tachycardia along with and blood pressure. Six months ago, my electrophysiologist diagnosed me with POTS. A very tough condition to deal with, as the fatigue is sometimes overwhelming. He gave me a prescription for Midodrine and told me to return in two months to adjust my pacemaker. Now, I can’t get my HR high enough to provide any power. I max out at about 124. Before e adjusted my pacemaker, I would begin a ride with some crazy high HR, say 138 when cruising downhill, but after I warmed up, say five minutes, things would return to normal, and the ride we go okay. I go to see his pacemaker tech tomorrow. How can they help me. BTW, I have a Boston Scientific pacemaker for endurance athletes, as recommended here and by a friend. Thanks much.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

You'll have to talk to the electrphysiologist to see if they set a high end limit on your pacemaker.

Also, ask whether they have PMTI turned on/off. My pacemaker treats a different issue than yours but after implantation I couldn't get my heart rate up for nothing. Long story short, they eventually changed the state of PMTI
(Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia Intervention) to either on/off, I can't remember, and after 18 months of screwing around with expensive testing and whatnot, that one checkbox was all I needed to feel normal on the bike.

FYI: I have a Medtronic Advisa Dual Lead Pacemaker.