Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2024, 10:08 AM

good shoes for flat pedals for a Senior rider?

So my 88 YO dad took a mild tumble on his step-through e-bike at an intersection when he didn't get his foot out of his SPDs in time. He's been on clipless pedals for decades but I think it's time to switch to flats to reduce the risk of a similar incident. He currently rides 20-25 miles several times a week with a few mild rolling hills in good weather. I had thought of maybe having him switch to a large platform Crank Bros model as I have found them easier out/in and less fussy than Shimano but realistically, I think flats are probably the prudent choice. There's lots of flat pedal options (l'm thinking of one of the Crank Brothers Stamp models) but what about shoes? I know he can just use street shoes or sneakers but I'm thinking that he'd like to continue to use some shoes designed for flat pedals, thinner/stiffer sole etc. Easy to put on for someone with limited mobility/flexibility (so velcro/boa better than laces or buckles), he has a narrow foot. Shoes that make him still look and feel like the cyclist he has been since the 70s. Any suggestions for flat pedals and flat pedal shoes from The Hive?
Old 06-07-2024, 10:16 AM

I've had the Saint PD-MX80 pedals for a couple years now on the commuter.
Replaced my PD-A530 pedals.

I'm not gonna go back to clipless unless I go out for a "performance" commute.

I find any of my shoes stay in place with these pedals.
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66
Road running shoes
Shoes with flat skateboard style soles

Just be careful of your shins and furniture when moving the bike with these pedals. I have considered plastic pedals with spikes just for something gentler on the cabinetry when I haul the bike thru my kitchen. I'm usually careful tho.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:44 AM

510s are what I ride flat pedals in
Old 06-07-2024, 11:07 AM

Another 5-10 rider here. Get good pedals with spikes and 5-10's and he will be a happy rider.
Old 06-07-2024, 02:31 PM
n - 1

For riding around on the street? Does he really need sharp pins and specialized shoes for street riding?

Personally, I’d just get some of these pedals and wear whatever shoes he wants. Or slippers. Like I usually do for my on-road commutes and errand runs.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/mks-rmx-sneaker-pedals
Old 06-07-2024, 02:38 PM

I would argue against going with too sticky rubber and too sharp pins. Such a combo results in zero float and can be a harsh transition for someone used to SPDs. Still soled flat shoes are worth it, but I'd recommend pairing with pedals that use grub screws or other blunt pints. They'll be plenty grippy for road riding while allowing easier repositioning.

In the MTB space, check out 5.10s, Ride Concepts, and Shimano's offerings. Sadly most are tragically ugly but excellent from a performance standpoint.
Old 06-07-2024, 02:56 PM

I have Look trail grip flats on several bikes including kids bikes. Platform is large and grippy enough without using actual sharp pins (don't want my kids legs to get beat up). Bearings are good quality. Used with all kinds of shoes with good results. They may be discontinued but you can still find them if you look.

https://www.lookcycle.com/be-en/prod...uro/trail-grip
Old 06-07-2024, 03:22 PM

I am an SPD person, but I have used PNW nylon pedals with pins and some basic Shimano flats and the connection is pretty great. You cannot pull up (of course), but the connection is really quite good given the much safer connection for an older rider/beginner rider.

Using a pair of regular street shoes will also work, just wont be as grippy. That said, my buddy is an accomplished rider and uses Vans skate shoes and he shreds on black trails (ex-skateboarder).
Old 06-07-2024, 03:44 PM

Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes.

I have no first-hand experience, but they are the only flat pedal shoes I know of that have a BOA dial. If he's been cycling for 50 years, and wants shoes that still make him feel like a cyclist, having a distinguishing feature that obviously differentiates these from regular shoes seems like something that could appeal to him.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:14 PM

I ride 5-10 on my flat pedals and prefer them to some of the others I have used.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2024, 07:38 PM

Interesting rec in the 510 shoes. I see they are made by Adidas. Do they have that super narrow fit like normal Adidas shoes, or do they have some width? Thanks
Old 06-07-2024, 07:49 PM

After his dual hip replacements, I hid my dad's Sidi's from him and replaced his Looks with some BMX composite pedals from Odyssey and bought him a pair of red Vans and a pair of blue Vans that match all his 25 year old Pearl Izumi stuff.

Originally I tried to get him to ride a hybrid, too- but he's back on drops and 25's. I lowered his seat about a cm, scooted it forward a skootch, and he seems to still be enjoying himself. 5.10's can be sticky enough that they aren't a great option for someone who was already occasionally falling over at stop lights clipped in, IMO.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:49 PM
litcrazy

Raceface rides have plastic pins so some bite but not too much.

A lot of flat shoes seem to run wider and with less arch support. They fit like they look if that makes sense.

Five ten’s range from medium to wide it seems. Trailcross for more like a running/spd shoe last. Freerider pro more in the middle. Free rider prime blue for really wide. My kids run the trail cross and pro and love them.

I use the shimano gr701 on my tandem, bikepacking and in snow and also like them. But I think the trail cross would fit my foot better. It will be a while before I wear out my shimano’s though.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:20 PM

Any trail shoe with zero to low heel to toe drop works fine. I really like Sense of Motion shoes that look somewhat normal too but I have wide feet. 5.10s take all the ugly qualities of skate shoes from the early 2000s and sell them at much higher prices now. In some cases the soles from my experience are overkill for grip unless you are riding in PNW mud in the winter.

For pedals, any modern MTB pedal is great. Way better than anything 10+ years ago as the platforms have gotten much larger. I don't really think pins matter too much. My favorite pedals are Shimano XTs from a few years ago if you can find them in the 'large' size. I also like crank bros stamp. Rivendell monarchs with the grip width extenders work well too and have nice smooth bearings. Personally I find that pedal the increased pedal width is what helps the most with flats over anything else. No way would I want any of the old school slim touring pedals that fold your foot in half, or anything meant to go with toe clips.
Old 06-08-2024, 04:48 AM

This may sound unconventional, but with flats I use a pair of Skecher brand indoor soccer shoes. Just the right amount of stiffness and support, come in a wide variety of widths and sizes, look like regular bike shoes and last,well, forever. Only downside for your situation is that they are lace-ups.

I snipped off the little spikey things on the side, tho. Took maybe two minutes.