Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 05:45 PM

OT: Shop Vacs

I'm doing drywall work at home in an addition, and realizing my Ridgid shop vac doesn't generate much suction when I use the filter bag. It won't pick up much at all unless I hold the bare nozel right on the floor. It is a 4.5-5 gallon that supposedly generates 5 peak hp, but it's not cutting it. I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade. I'm not sure I want to spend Festool prices, but if it gets me the filtration and suction I'm after, I could pry the dollars from my miserly fingers.
Any suggestions? Bigger model, different brand?What's everyone happy with for fine particulates/Hepa level filtration?
Old 03-10-2024, 05:48 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I'm doing drywall work at home in an addition, and realizing my Ridgid shop vac doesn't generate much suction when I use the filter bag. It won't pick up much at all unless I hold the bare nozel right on the floor. It is a 4.5-5 gallon that supposedly generates 5 peak hp, but it's not cutting it. I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade. I'm not sure I want to spend Festool prices, but if it gets me the filtration and suction I'm after, I could pry the dollars from my miserly fingers.
Any suggestions? Bigger model, different brand?What's everyone happy with for fine particulates/Hepa level filtration?
Proper filter would help. Thy are not created equal.

Clean it and get a proper filter.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:49 PM

Filter is new, as is the dust bag.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:50 PM

Filter is new, as is the dust bag. Both from Ridgid. Open to suggestions for other filters if you have one
Old 03-10-2024, 05:50 PM

If you're doing a lot of drywall or sanding work, a drywall sander with vacuum attachment might catch a lot of dust at the source. A shop vac (with HEPA filter) could act as the vacuum, and then do the clean up you asked about.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 03-10-2024, 05:54 PM

Take the filter out and bang it in the garbage can. Be prepared for a lot of dust. Sanding dry mud generates a fine dust the clogs the pleats. By new filter do you mean you bought a new one and it didn’t work right away? Also try the brush attachment instead. You can also take the bag out, but clean the filter often.

Last edited by Mikej; 03-10-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:15 PM

I haven't started doing the tape and mud yet, just trying to clean up the dust from cutting the drywall itself right now. There is a dust layer on the subfloor I'm trying to get up before I continue.
Yes, the filter is new/clean, as is the filter bag. I would usually blow out the dirty filters using my compressor when it was clogged before this project, so I am familiar with dirty filters.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:33 PM

There are a lot better shop vac than your ridgid.

Look at Fein, Nilfisk, and Festool.

Much quieter, HEPA, and better airflow.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:37 PM

I remember hearing good things about Ridgid vacs - maybe there's an issue with yours that isn't obvious?

I have a craftsman that does reasonably well. Along with a drywall sanding attachment it does a pretty good job capturing the bulk of the dust. I do notice a drop in performance when using drywall (or better) rated bags. Seems part for the course with the extra filtration level on the big box brands.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:37 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-amp-...der-59166.html

Worth it for a few cheap jobs paired with a different filter for your vac.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with your shop vac.
You need one of these:

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...SAAEgIeTfD_BwE

No dust will go into the shop vac filter, it all goes in the bucket.
This is what woodworkers use.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:56 PM

I know I am not answering your question but offering a suggestion - I have had luck doing the following - prior to sanding the taped areas I would wipe them down and smooth the area with a damp sponge. Really reduces the amount of sanding needed.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:15 PM

My house vac is actually a shop-ish vac meant for remediating asbestos. It's a European model - Nilfisk. It's quiet, suction is amazing. Just a little small, but I'd sell that as portable. $400ish but I'd buy again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
5 hp = 56 amps on 110v. Ain't no way.

Drywall kills vacuums. The Festool stuff is worth it. I have one of the less expensive models, but the more expensive ones have a special bag cleaning system meant for drywall. I use mine all the time, it becomes my Shop-Vac in the garage. It works very well, and I would buy it again. Check out the Festool "AC" (auto clean) models.

Last edited by DrewK; 03-10-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:06 PM

- damp sponge as suggested above and then just sand down any remaining rough areas.
- also “Clean Sweep” works really, really, really well to mingle with the dust and basically nullify it. HIGHLY recommended. Basically you can just gently sweep it with a broom, or vacuum if a lot of it, with zero flying dust.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

[edti] I also have a similar “dust” trap device that i have used in the past between the vacuum inlet and the shop vac to help the machine cope. But since I started using the clean sweep, I have had any need for it