Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 09:45 AM

USPS rant.

I ordered something from BTD on Monday which is about 500 miles away. I also order something from Israel which is like 5800 miles difference and yet the package from Israel can get here in the same amount of time. Both scheduled for tomorrow.......both items shipped for free. makes no sense. I have watched the package from BTD pass by 2X's goes to Spokane from Portland goes to Missoula (my location) to Billings back to Spokane....and then back to Billings before finally really hitting the post office here. makes no freaking sense and it is this every single order from BTD which I order a lot from when they send it USPS. . I literally could track the DHL plane while it was in route from Israel via Germany and within a few hours it was already unpacked and heading my way.....rant over. I know old man yelling at the clouds....
Old 05-23-2024, 01:31 PM

I recently sent a bike frame via USPS from NY state to Europe. It was routed thru Los Angeles and took almost 3 weeks.

The same frame sent back to me from Europe took exactly 7 days.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:39 PM

I've had some weird issues recently too.

Two packages were mis-delivered. One went to a local business that USPS was able to track down and deliver and the second was delivered to a POBOX-refused-then sent back to the sender.

I don't get it either, but they're good for the most part.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:01 PM

I use the USPS for all of my Berk saddle deliveries and in the 5 plus years of using them, they have only let me down once, with a full refund upon loss of package.

Granted, I have an account with them, and I'm great friends with my postal pickup guy, but I'm in the belief that the service depends on the location.

It's bad all around in the states, whether it being USPS, UPS, FedEx

I'm still waiting on golf clubs that I ordered via FedEx 2 weeks ago. They were shipped from California to my home state in PA. Actually delivered to the local hub 5 miles from me. From there shipped to Delaware, and now coming back to PA. I can only hope the package is acceptable.

For what it's worth, I use DHL for all my international shipments. I pay the price, but it's worth every penny.

Regarding stateside delivery, it's a conundrum and based on locality.

From what my carrier tells me, the USPS is so disconnected and lacking staff, he literally told me to start looking at other options.

Last edited by EliteVelo; 05-23-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:38 PM

Back when Probikekit in the UK was a thing, I ordered some wheels and a Chorus group online from PBK, and on the same evening, ordered some finishing parts for the build from Competitive Cyclist. They all arrived on the same day. I think it all depends on the schedule of trucks and planes and what time your package was released.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:09 PM

It depends on where you live, ultimately. DHL and OnTrac in my area of the PNW are HORRENDOUS. I have had stuff sit for exactly 31 days at a distro centro 30 miles from my house. I just sent a camera body to a fella using UPS, it sat in a distro center in my state for 10 days due to a "weather event"....the only weather event we are experiencing currently is mild 50-60deg weather. I am pretty friendly with my UPS driver as well as our FedEx driver and it does make a difference. The biggest pet peeve I have is when something is ahead of schedule, and it will sit and languish in a distro center until the date it is slated to be delivered.....
Old 05-24-2024, 06:11 AM

First world problems. I have no love for the USPS either. I have only had 10 to 15 packages delivered to the wrong address this year. The Post office was able to retrieve the packages sometimes the same day or next day. I live in the city and at the edge of a city with a Big 10 school. My area of the sub division is delivered as a sub route. I used to be able to set the time on my watch with the mail delivery. Since we are now a sub route it’s anywhere from very early to as late as 8 PM at night. The give the route to someone that has a route and they either do that before their route is done or after. It gets here just a matter of when.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
It depends on where you live, ultimately. DHL and OnTrac in my area of the PNW are HORRENDOUS. I have had stuff sit for exactly 31 days at a distro centro 30 miles from my house. I just sent a camera body to a fella using UPS, it sat in a distro center in my state for 10 days due to a "weather event"....the only weather event we are experiencing currently is mild 50-60deg weather. I am pretty friendly with my UPS driver as well as our FedEx driver and it does make a difference. The biggest pet peeve I have is when something is ahead of schedule, and it will sit and languish in a distro center until the date it is slated to be delivered.....
I guess they figure if it sits long enough it will get lost.....or grow legs and deliver itself....
Old 05-24-2024, 02:57 PM

I was a USPS carrier, mailman for 15 years...I worked at fedex as well and have tons of friends who work for ups...the problem began when we all wanted to stay on our asses and have stuff delivered to us...like pretty much everything...think covid...think amazon...I do it as well...but it screwed up the whole transport system...from sending to plants then trucks and then onto your local office and so on...it's a huge ordeal and everyone wants their stuff as fast as possible...folks do their jobs well at usps in my opinion...incredibly hard working folks...but folks now expect cheap or free shipping and everyone uses...the system can't really deal with it and stuff gets slowed down...that is just life actually and if you have a huge problem with it head on down to your local post office and sign right up...it will only get kinda worse to be honest no matter how stuff is sent via any carrier...we all created this problem in the end.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:27 PM

Once again for the 16th time this year I had a package expected today. The tracking number said it was deliver to the mailbox. probably was just not mine. I wish more companies offered a choice on delivery service. Mine would not be the post office. I did catch the postman and he said he would check some boxes with the address for me and bring it to me if he found it.

As I’m sitting here typing this the postman did come back and said he made a mistake and delivered it to the wrong street. Got it.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
I was a USPS carrier, mailman for 15 years...I worked at fedex as well and have tons of friends who work for ups...the problem began when we all wanted to stay on our asses and have stuff delivered to us...like pretty much everything...think covid...think amazon...I do it as well...but it screwed up the whole transport system...from sending to plants then trucks and then onto your local office and so on...it's a huge ordeal and everyone wants their stuff as fast as possible...folks do their jobs well at usps in my opinion...incredibly hard working folks...but folks now expect cheap or free shipping and everyone uses...the system can't really deal with it and stuff gets slowed down...that is just life actually and if you have a huge problem with it head on down to your local post office and sign right up...it will only get kinda worse to be honest no matter how stuff is sent via any carrier...we all created this problem in the end.
A great perspective, and appreciate the dialogue.

Completely agree.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteVelo View Post
A great perspective, and appreciate the dialogue.

Completely agree.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...213056166.html

I’ll just post a link and not engage in the discussion.

Last edited by djg21; 05-24-2024 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
On a side note, my carrier was hit in his mail truck last week by a school bus due to a driver trying to pass. Mail truck landed on its side and he was pinned underneath. He's facing multiple surgeries.

If we all obey the law, and yield to school busses, why can't we do the same for couriers? Changes have to be made, period. Same for all of us riding our bikes.

Problem is lack of staff all around the board. Whether it be local law enforcement, USPS and others, it's a mess.

Rant over.....
Old 05-24-2024, 06:15 PM

IIRC, USPS was (is?) the largest employer of veterans. I try to keep that in mind, especially when the postman asks me to unlock my box after depositing the neighbor's mail.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:49 PM

Misrouting

USPS eventually will get the package there. However recently I have been noticing quite a few packages that I send get misrouted to random USPS facilities thousands of miles out of the way.