Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 06:03 PM

Yet Another Dented Top Tube Question

So I could get this vintage Trek 950 mtb frameset (last of the lugged USA made) for next to nothing, but among some other things, there is a dent in the middle of the top tube. I'm looking for a project but not sure this is going to be worth it.

Do people think this is possible to fill up with brass and sand down, or will it require a top tube replacement?
For what it's worth this is made with True Temper AT ATB double butted chromoly tubing, according to the Trek catalog.

Last edited by kirke; 03-26-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:26 PM

If you just want to fill it and repaint it then you'd be much better off with some kind of filler putty. There is zero structural advantage filling it with brass or silver....in fact the added heat and then all the filing/sanding will make the tube nothing but weaker.

You could roll the dent out with some wooden blocks and it will help but you'll never get it looking perfect that way and it will still need some filler before paint.

dave
Old 03-26-2021, 06:31 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If it were mine and I were looking to turn that frame into a project (because the frame meant something to me) I wouldn't worry one bit about the dent(s).

If you want to refinish the frame (looks like there's at least some surface rust on there, perhaps more) I'd sand down the suspect areas and see how bad they are. If it's no big deal I'd have someone else blast it (with whatever material is appropriate for that type of frame - ie they shouldn't just go hog-wild and use whatever happens to be on hand) and powder-coat with your preferred color. No need to fill the dents, or anything like that.

Good Luck
Old 03-26-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
If you just want to fill it and repaint it then you'd be much better off with some kind of filler putty. There is zero structural advantage filling it with brass or silver....in fact the added heat and then all the filing/sanding will make the tube nothing but weaker.

You could roll the dent out with some wooden blocks and it will help but you'll never get it looking perfect that way and it will still need some filler before paint.

dave
Bondo. Or just ride it.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Another thought:

If this were a relatively new frame then it might make sense to get rid of the dent, or otherwise try to minimize it.

However, since it isn't a new one it's better (IMO) to just leave the dent as is.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:47 PM

Wow, appreciate all these great replies so far!

Ok so good to know this should be an easy fix. My ideal plan is to make some other frame modifications and repaint to make my ultimate commuter bike so I probably will want to at least fill with putty to make it look nice.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:56 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirke View Post
"ultimate commuter bike"
:
:
"make it look nice"
You sure you want to use those two phrases in the same sentence?

https://youtu.be/D2zRxQFbhQo

Old 03-26-2021, 07:02 PM

Ride as is. It’s patina and not unsafe. This is steel’s greatest quality. It is very tough.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:24 PM

Lol yes 'nice commuter bike' might be a bit of a contradiction, but if all it takes is some putty I'd rather not see the dent is all!

Thanks again for everyones thoughts so far.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
if all it takes is some putty I'd rather not see the dent is all!
How safe are the various locations where the bike will be when it's away from home?

If they're very safe ("Is it safe?" - to quote Laurence Olivier) then great, the bike can be as fancy and nice-looking as you like, but if they're iffy, then you'll want to consider not just how the bike will look to you, but how attractive it might be to potential bike thieves who might happen to see it.

Good Luck with the project.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:17 PM

Putty and a sticker from your favorite local brewery over it.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:25 AM

In the the "ride it as is or fix it right camp" ie tube replacement.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Wow, appreciate all these great replies so far!

Ok so good to know this should be an easy fix. My ideal plan is to make some other frame modifications and repaint to make my ultimate commuter bike so I probably will want to at least fill with putty to make it look nice.
This idea of a ultimate commuter bike makes me kind of giggle. I do understand wanting to ride a nice bike, but for something that will get locked up and beaten on. I would just leave that dent alone. Fix the other stuff, make it as comfortable as you wish. Make sure it carries what ever you may need, shifts well and then just ride the heck out of it. I would make VERY sure that everything works just the way you want it to, for more than a couple of months, before I even thought about fixing the top tube. Lol, I’m sort of in the camp of put a sticker over it and ride it now. Just until you are sure of things.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTDeXG0kweA

I once had a set of these blocks for a couple of tube sizes, but I got rid of my vise during a move (too heavy) so I'm not even sure I still have them. But, they did take out most of the dent, just not smooth like original, so more work was needed. I remember filling with repeated primer sprayings, sand, more spray. Or, as someone else mentioned, put a sticker over it.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So I could get this vintage Trek 950 mtb frameset (last of the lugged USA made) for next to nothing, but among some other things, there is a dent in the middle of the top tube. I'm looking for a project but not sure this is going to be worth it.

Do people think this is possible to fill up with brass and sand down, or will it require a top tube replacement?
For what it's worth this is made with True Temper AT ATB double butted chromoly tubing, according to the Trek catalog.
Do it only if you don't want to look at it..I don't think there is anything structurally wrong with it.