Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2021, 08:13 PM

Threaded Headset Help

Hey folks,

I recently got my hands on a Colnago Tecnos frameset. I'm still in the process of getting all the bits and pieces together to build it up (silver Athena 11s).

I was looking into a modern Campy Record headset but noticed they only coming in English threading. I understand English and Italian threading are "interchangeable" but that you shouldn't switch back and forth.

My problem is that I don't know what headset was previously installed on the frameset so not sure if I should be looking into getting an English or Italian threaded headset. What should I do?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Does this info help?

https://velo-orange.com/pages/threaded-headset-basics

Edit: added info from link above.

Quote:
ISO is by far the most common size and is used on virtually every modern bike with a 1" steerer. The steerer inside diameter (ID) is 22.2mm. The pressed race ID is 30.2mm (that's the inside of the head tube). The crown race (on the fork) measures 26.4mm and the threading is 24tpi. Velo Orange stocks two ISO headsets, the Grand Cru Sealed Bearing Headset and the VO Loose Ball Headset.
:
:
Italian headsets are virtually the same as ISO. The crown race ID is 26.5mm rather than 26.4mm and the threads are a tiny bit different, but ISO headsets are so close that they work absolutely perfectly on Italian frames.

Last edited by Louis; 04-28-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 PM

I guess my question is whether it matters how many times you swap between the two standards on the same steerer tube.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2021, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWong87 View Post
I guess my question is whether it matters how many times you swap between the two standards on the same steerer tube.

Matters not. If the steel, threaded fork steerer is indeed 'the far superior Italian threading', and the threaded cup and lock nut are aluminum and 'English', the fork threads will 'comform' the HS to 'ITL' threading.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:39 AM

You ll like that bike. Still have my early 90s tecnos. Was my first good bike. Habve a nice vintage athena hs in the classifieds that would look great on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Matters not. If the steel, threaded fork steerer is indeed 'the far superior Italian threading', and the threaded cup and lock nut are aluminum and 'English', the fork threads will 'comform' the HS to 'ITL' threading.
Cool. I'm guessing I should avoid a steel English threaded set then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
You ll like that bike. Still have my early 90s tecnos. Was my first good bike. Habve a nice vintage athena hs in the classifieds that would look great on it.
Thanks for the offer. I'm actually thinking of picking up a Nuovo Record headset instead...
Old 04-30-2021, 01:48 PM

Speaking of which, I found someone locally selling this NR headset but the bottom cup has some weird pitting. What could have done this? Is this a no go even for a good price? (~60USD)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3028ae561d6faee1af98ab21da39c823.0.jpg (10.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 24dcbdeb2593c6a9bf214214ec98055b.0~2.jpg (54.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-30-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWong87 View Post
Speaking of which, I found someone locally selling this NR headset but the bottom cup has some weird pitting. What could have done this? Is this a no go even for a good price? (~60USD)
I think that's actually done intentionally with a center punch so it's a better fit in the head tube.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
I think that's actually done intentionally with a center punch so it's a better fit in the head tube.
That's my answer/guess as well.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:00 PM

Interesting... So it shouldn't pose any structural issues? I don't want the thing to fail while I'm riding.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:06 PM

I have a 90’s Precisa fork on my C40. I don’t know the threading but I put a new Record headset on it which I believe to be English thread. I don’t recall having in problems. In general for a fork like this I would guess English thread, and as noted above, if it really is Italian thread you’ll be OK.

Another option is take the fork down to the LBS, ask them to dig out a threaded headset, odds are it will be English, and see how easy it is to thread on. Italian on English, or vice versa, it doesn’t thread on super smooth first time, but it will go on.