Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2022, 04:51 PM

opinions on the new Soma smoothie HP?

Soma just released a new version of the smoothie, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Seems to have nice tubing, but some of the details feel oddly chunky for a sleek bike, particularly the replaceable dropouts. Thoughts?

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2022/08...otein.html?m=1
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...endurance-road

Old 11-13-2022, 05:17 PM

It says the are modular drop outs. Does that mean the offer a drop out with track ends or sliding drop outs? If so i kinda like that versatility but yeah it takes away some of the sleakness. But on a more utility kinda bike it has its place imo. The do it all bike that never works for bike geeks but its still kinda nice in theory
Old 11-13-2022, 05:25 PM
Meh

I think it fits the current Soma brand well. Soma bicycles strike me as nicer versions of a Surly. I once read a great description of Surly as frames that are essentially adapter kits for whatever crap you happen to have in your garage to build a bike out of. Soma fits that description too, with slightly nicer designs and paint, and somewhat more practical geometry.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:48 PM

I find the dropouts and headtube clunky, but the former at least is for backwards compatibility so that's a big benefit. Otherwise I think the bike looks ok, certainly better than a lot of other stuff on the market.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:55 PM

I think it looks decent, and agree with some of the above sentiment as it relates to versatility. A slightly more utilitarian bike for the more or less sporty types. Dropouts look fine for adaptability, kind of clutch depending on how many adaptors are available. I’ve always liked 44mm that on bikes, But can understand it doesn’t fit everyone’s aesthetics or every bikes aesthetic for that matter.

Why not, a more well balanced and decent riding bike that could more or less to everything decently. I dig that, but also, I’d rather have a bike that does a thing or two really well.

The real reason I posted;

what really got me was the fork that can accept both rim brake calipers and flat moon disc. HUH

Last edited by AJosiahK; 11-13-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:31 PM

Very similar to the all city zig zag, with nicer tubing and for less money, though with a more relaxed geometry (too relaxed for my taste). I dig, anyways.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:50 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Very similar to the all city zig zag, with nicer tubing and for less money, though with a more relaxed geometry (too relaxed for my taste). I dig, anyways.
The size 60 is 415mm chainstays, 73.5deg hta, 73deg sta, and 58mm trail when running 32mm tires.
Doesn't seem very relaxed when compared to many road bikes from a lot of brands right now.
...I chose a 60 because I always look at the largest size.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:56 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eephotog View Post
Soma just released a new version of the smoothie, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Seems to have nice tubing, but some of the details feel oddly chunky for a sleek bike, particularly the replaceable dropouts. Thoughts?

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2022/08...otein.html?m=1
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...endurance-road

- neat that they use Prestige Japan tubing.
- I doubt this is light, in spite of the tubing upgrade.
- an aluminum fork steerer is kinda lame if this is a high performance concept. 'We use Prestige Japan tubing to keep it ought and then totally negate that with a heavier than necessary fork.'
- the 44mm heat tube looks huge on the smaller frame. A tapered head tube would transition better.
- modular dropouts don't bother me. Versatility is a Soma trademark.
- bold move to use Sensah drivetrain components on the marketing materials.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
- neat that they use Prestige Japan tubing.
- I doubt this is light, in spite of the tubing upgrade.
- an aluminum fork steerer is kinda lame if this is a high performance concept. 'We use Prestige Japan tubing to keep it ought and then totally negate that with a heavier than necessary fork.'
Size 54 is 1850g with ~730g fork.

That's very light for a production steel disc bike, especially given the beercan headtube. The fork is a downer but as good as the frame appears it would be fit for a full-carbon upgrade.

55cm All-City Zig Zag is 2120g frame and ~680g fork.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:03 AM

The modular dropouts only seem to allow swapping between TA and QR, and different disc mounts. Doesn't seem that useful given the fork?

https://www.merrysales.com/shop/long...pout#attr=1474
https://www.merrysales.com/shop/long...pout#attr=4762

Overall seems like a nice frame though. Could be an an interesting upgrade path if you've got an existing rim brake group, and want to try disks eventually.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:10 AM
n - 1

Right, I don’t like the modular dropouts. They could’ve saved a tiny bit of weight and made it look much better with just regular dropouts.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
The size 60 is 415mm chainstays, 73.5deg hta, 73deg sta, and 58mm trail when running 32mm tires.
Doesn't seem very relaxed when compared to many road bikes from a lot of brands right now.
I was thinking more about the stack and reach. Nothing crazy upright, but a bit more so than the zig zag.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:23 AM

Had a look since 700x32 + fenders is my sweet spot right now. Could not find a picture of the bike in 58 or 60cm, which changes the look of the head tube. Unclear if there is top tube cable routing support for the rear rim brake option. And interesting there's only 4mm difference in reach from 56 to 60cm frames.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:49 AM

I'm surprised there isn't a pivoting SS dropout available. Without that, what's the point?

Alloy steerer fork is lame. I assume that's a cost saver.

I'm beginning to realize my next bike(s) will have to be custom/boutique because everything seems to have pointy elbows.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:55 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Size 54 is 1850g with ~730g fork.

That's very light for a production steel disc bike, especially given the beercan headtube. The fork is a downer but as good as the frame appears it would be fit for a full-carbon upgrade.

55cm All-City Zig Zag is 2120g frame and ~680g fork.
Ok now, that is pretty cool for sure. Its a rare day now when a mid-sized production steel frame is under 2000g.
And 250-300g could be cut off the fork with a swap, though thats $500+/- and you lose the color match.

Pretty neat to see its not a hidden boat anchor.