Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 AM

Mavic Open Pro disc - real ERD and thoughts?

Considering this rim, anyone have any experince building wheels with it? I found a wheelbuilder online that measures the ERD to be 600mm, anyone can confirm that? Thing is that I would like to reuse the spokes from my current wheelbuild and if the Open Pro really is 600mm it would be perfect, and it looks pretty nice also....
Old 12-28-2018, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Considering this rim, anyone have any experience building wheels with it? I found a wheelbuilder online that measures the ERD to be 600mm, anyone can confirm that? Thing is that I would like to reuse the spokes from my current wheelbuild and if the Open Pro really is 600mm it would be perfect, and it looks pretty nice also....
Mavic says 595mm ERD altho they can be kinda funky with their measurment.

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/open-pr...3271&1035=3501

For a $100 rim, I'd look at DT411or DT412..ERD 601, plus OC rear..a little lighter(411), 412 same weight but both great rims..Built many..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-28-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 AM

Indeed Mavic has a funky way of defining ERD's... They measure it at the "edge of the hole" (seat of the "virtual nipple"), instead of at the slot of the "virtual nipple"... So if you use their ERD with an usual lengthes calculator, you'll certainly end up with spokes too short.
Anyway, I just have now by chance a pair of Open Pro Disc rims waiting to be built and I've measured their ERD at 600mm.
Always the same with Mavic rims : add 4 to 5 mm to the ERD they provide.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi View Post
Indeed Mavic has a funky way of defining ERD's... They measure it at the "edge of the hole" (seat of the "virtual nipple"), instead of at the slot of the "virtual nipple"... So if you use their ERD with an usual lengthes calculator, you'll certainly end up with spokes too short.
Anyway, I just have now by chance a pair of Open Pro Disc rims waiting to be built and I've measured their ERD at 600mm.
Always the same with Mavic rims : add 4 to 5 mm to the ERD they provide.
Why it's a good idea to use some 'system' or tool to measure ERD, with the rim in hand, rather that trust the maker's methods or accuracy. I use these, Wheelsmith rods..work great and measure to nipple seat.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 AM

I haven't personally built a wheel myself using the Mavic Open Pro UST Disc rims, but I had Colorado Cyclist build up a set, in November, laced to I9 hubs for my gf's new Bob Jackson Audax frame. For the life of me I could not mount a tire on the rims. I tried Panaracer Gravel 28's, and then a well worn pair of WTB Exposure 34's, both with zero luck.

I'm in the process of sending them back to CC to change out the rims.

They are a nice looking rim though.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeller79 View Post
I haven't personally built a wheel myself using the Mavic Open Pro UST Disc rims, but I had Colorado Cyclist build up a set, in November, laced to I9 hubs for my gf's new Bob Jackson Audax frame. For the life of me I could not mount a tire on the rims. I tried Panaracer Gravel 28's, and then a well worn pair of WTB Exposure 34's, both with zero luck.

I'm in the process of sending them back to CC to change out the rims.

They are a nice looking rim though.
Send the hubs to me after you get them back and I'll lace them to some really sweet DT rims..like DT411 or 421..great for you GF..

cp51errc@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 AM

I've heard this rim isnt great. My shop has had more than a couple of pairs brought back with issues...I was really into them but decided to go in a different direction for my all-road tubeless wheels.