Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Old Frames and fat tires

I had a 1981 Nishiki Pro with Nuovo Record Gruppo including what we now call "mid-reach brakes. I ran 700x28 tires on it with LOTS more room for wider tires. I still have the Rivendell Rambouillet that I bought new about 20 years ago and Leslie had a very similar Romulus. Both were built with 3x9 Shimano groups and mid-reach brakes so 700x32 tires were easy and there was room for even wider tires.

Since so many riders have discovered or rediscovered the benefits of wider tires for many types of riding I wonder if prices for used ones have increased a bit lately.

The Nishiki was such a nice ride that I bought Tektro mid-reach brakes and a 3x9 speed Shimano group for it. Then I realized I didn't need another "modern" bike and kept it for cruising, especially with a San Diego Classic bike group that often included Brian Bayliss and Joe Bell.

Any way, it occurred to me that buying a decent old bike with room for fat tires for $300+/- could be a cheap way for folks to see if fat tires work for them. If they love them they can always buy a new bike with all the modern components. Either way, I think the old bike can be resold without losing much.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Pretty much any 27” wheeled bike converted to 700c can fit massive tires. I used to have 35c cross tires on an 80’s motobecane, it was dumb, but also awesome.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Frejus fits um!

I just bought this 1969 Frejus from the original owner, saw these tires and said "what the heck!". They fit! Honest, I really liked the color and it was an opportunity to go wide to 38's.

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_1c39.jpg (76.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pergolizzi View Post
I just bought this 1969 Frejus from the original owner, saw these tires and said "what the heck!". They fit! Honest, I really liked the color and it was an opportunity to go wide to 38's.

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Jeez John, it's about time you joined this group. Welcome!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Ken, are you trying to finish off Rivendell with this information??

I agree tho, old rigs are ideal for big tires, and really ride well despite needing a little more rider input for shifting.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Ken, are you trying to finish off Rivendell with this information??

I agree tho, old rigs are ideal for big tires, and really ride well despite needing a little more rider input for shifting.
The Nuovo Record shifters made me REALLY appreciate my SunTour Power Ratchets but the ride was lovely. I loaned it to the teenage son of a pal and ultimately let his dad buy it for him for about what the very nice NR Gruppo was worth. It had a spectacular JB paint job.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Pretty much any 27” wheeled bike converted to 700c can fit massive tires. I used to have 35c cross tires on an 80’s motobecane, it was dumb, but also awesome.
This used to be a common thing in the '80s and '90s, when cyclocross was just becoming popular in the US but there were few cyclocross specific bikes available. People would take old 27" bikes and find somebody to braze cantilever posts on, positioned for 700c rims. This left plenty of room for knobby tires - this was also before there was a limit on tire width in cyclocross, so people would be running 37mm+ tires.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pergolizzi View Post

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Very cool! Who needs 650b conversions?