Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Administrator

OT: Genius for Dummies...

Well, I say that tongue in cheek of course. Here is a great show to watch with your kids (teens) but it's also a great show for adults to grasp principles of science.

Quote:
Professor Stephen Hawking challenges a selection of volunteers to think like the greatest geniuses in history and solve some of humanity's most enduring questions.

Professor Stephen Hawking reveals our true potential in a radical new science show which challenges a selection of volunteers and the viewer to think like the greatest geniuses of the past and answer some of humanity's toughest and most enduring questions. Using large-scale experiments and incredible stunts, we'll follow the volunteers' journeys as they get to grips with molecular biology, astrophysics and even quantum mechanics. Likewise, we'll learn about the geniuses whose discoveries helped build our scientific knowledge and allowed us to solve questions like "Where are we?" "Are we alone?" and "Can we travel through time?"

http://www.pbs.org/genius-by-stephen-hawking/home/
Our whole family enjoyed watching this together.

William
Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Classics Fan

I've watched a few of these.

I'm not sure if the 'volunteers' are actually actors and/or given a script. As some of the experiments they do require a bit of coordination.

The one with the leaf blowers and the hockey players was the most interesting one that I saw. Uniform expansion of space. Seeing it like that makes a lot more sense. Some one here has a red shift bike... cool idea
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I've watched a few of these.

I'm not sure if the 'volunteers' are actually actors and/or given a script. As some of the experiments they do require a bit of coordination.

The one with the leaf blowers and the hockey players was the most interesting one that I saw. Uniform expansion of space. Seeing it like that makes a lot more sense. Some one here has a red shift bike... cool idea

I wondered about that myself, but seeing as the topics and presentations are interesting and thought provoking over the usual Kardashian - violence drivel that dominates television today....I'm okay with it either way.

William