Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Q: Why remove price when item is sold?

Some folks remove the sales price after the item is sold. Why?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 PM

I don't. I think it's in the sticky too that sellers not do this.

I think it helps in the future, should someone list the same/similar item. that's why I leave it.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewellison View Post
Some folks remove the sales price after the item is sold. Why?
I always do. What is sold and the terms of that sale are between the buyer and the seller. It's no one else's business.

If someone sends me a private message and asks me what I sold something for because they are interested in purchasing something similar or wanting to sell the same item, I will give them that information.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I always do. What is sold and the terms of that sale are between the buyer and the seller. It's no one else's business.

If someone sends me a private message and asks me what I sold something for because they are interested in purchasing something similar or wanting to sell the same item, I will give them that information.
Aren't those two different things: asking price in the ad vs. actual price that the item sold for?
I can see your point for the latter but the asking price has been out there in the first place and DOES help to determine some kind of market value.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Aren't those two different things: asking price in the ad vs. actual price that the item sold for?
I can see your point for the latter but the asking price has been out there in the first place and DOES help to determine some kind of market value.
What if it sold for 1/2 the price in the ad? No determination of market value.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 PM

I don't delete prices because I think it's helpful to be able to search the forum to get an idea of sale prices in the past. I guess there's always ebay sold listings for pricing checks if the stuff you're looking for has had the prices removed here.

As far as the price being private between buyer and seller...it is, but does it really matter? Most of the time you can't even tell who the buyer is based on the thread, that's typically done via PM or email anyway. Speaking of, the price I leave also isn't necessarily the actual sale price. If I accept an offer for lower than my asking price I don't take the time to update it, I just leave it as is.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Imshi Cycles

OK, so, this might get long...

The only argument FOR leaving prices it to create some sort of record of what something is worth for future sales of that item or others like it.

There are a few issues with this, as the set price of an item can vary widely depending on several factors:

1 - time of year
2 - seller motivation
3 - size/spec of item

You get the idea...

To say that a used _________ is worth ________ because thats what it sold for in January from a seller who makes six figures and doesnt give a sh*t about money...is not really accurate or helpful for anyone.

-----

Personally, I HATE when people call out others on prices, linking previous sale threads or ebay listings. Its annoying and childish.

If its a fair price, it will sell.
If its not a fair price, it wont.

An item is worth what the market is willing to pay, not what it happened to sell for on ebay a month ago at 4am in the morning...

-----

This is not a forum for PUBLIC sales...everything here is bought and sold through PRIVATE sales between 2 (or sometimes 3, 4) parties...thats it. The terms of the sale are dictated by these individuals at that time and should have no future bearing on any future sales of the items in question or any others like it.

If a seller wants to delete the entire thread once the item is sold or repurpose it to sell another new item, thats their prerogative, as far as im concerned.

K, im gonna stop there.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
This is true, but my assumption is that if it did sell for lower it wouldn't be that much lower. A little, but not half, so the original posted price is still relevant.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I still think it is helpful to a lot of people, and, if it did sell for something other than the asking price, then I do not understand the rationale for withholding/deleting the original listed price. It divulges nothing about the sale price as you say.

My small gripe is folks who sell stuff for what they previously paid for it used. I always figured that if I used it, I'm willing to 'pay' for my use of it, and pass on the appropriate 'depreciation' - but I am drifting....
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
My small gripe is folks who sell stuff for what they previously paid for it used. I always figured that if I used it, I'm willing to 'pay' for my use of it, and pass on the appropriate 'depreciation' - but I am drifting....
Well, seeing as how there is no quantifiable way of determining how "used" most parts are, and no sliding scale of pricing attached to the "degree of use" something might have...its a little hard to have a gripe with anyone for NOT doing that.
By your logic, if I buy a used bike for $2k and take it for a spin around the block, it is now "more used" than when I bought it and I have no right to sell it for $2k again.

This is one of the main reasons I like to buy things used...because I can almost always get back what I paid for that item however many months later whether I used it myself or not. The same cant be said for buying new.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 02-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM

eBAUMANN hits it squarely......there are so many variables to every sale that you can't ever use a single occurrence here to indicate "market value". Heck, we have people GIVE AWAY stuff here, literally....or sometimes sell stuff for really cheap prices compared to what you'd pay on eBay etc.

I don't mind it....it's not like this is the only place to gauge pricing. As a seller, if you do check pricing here you're often better off selling elsewhere if all you care about is getting the highest price.

I typically delete prices, mainly because I don't really care for people second guessing my pricing after the fact.....and making sure my wife has no idea what I buy/sell stuff for!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post

1 - time of year
2 - seller motivation
3 - size/spec of item

You get the idea...
Don't get me wrong, but add some human intelligence and reading between the lines when assessing those parameters above, add factors like condition, feedback by fellow forumites (e.g. "deal of the day" etc.) plus how long it took to sell (or not) and it gives you a pretty good idea of what it is worth to Paceliners.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
This is one of the main reasons I like to buy things used...because I can almost always get back what I paid for that item however many months later whether I used it myself or not. The same cant be said for buying new.
Fair enough, but we have very different approaches to this. I'm willing to kick a little down to the next guy in line for the time/use that I have in something. Again, that's just me...
Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
.....and making sure my wife has no idea what I buy/sell stuff for!
[/end]
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
But here's the problem: how does another buyer know how much utility another has gotten from something that was bought used and relisted later? I see a lot of stuff here that is bought and sat in a box until it was resold.....seller hasn't gained utility out of it while it sat, so there's no more rationale to lower the price than there is to keep it the same. Obviously if it's bought and used that might be a different story, but if another buyer is willing to pay the same price, why not?

Tags
braceline, powersellers