Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2024, 12:39 PM

What's the current thinking on 1x vs 2x?

Hi, all. Well, with the release of that new Aluminum Crux, I expect I'll be getting a new gravel bike. I don't know whether to go 1x or 2x on it.

I used to have a 1x all-road bike, SRAM Rival 1x11, with a 40 in front and an 11/42 in the back that I later switched to an 11/36. Frankly... I hated the gearing. Switching back to a proper road bike with a 2x up front was a lifesaver.

But I think that the gearing and technology has come a long way since then. 12 or 13 speeds in the rear gives you better gearing options on the cassette.

When I look at complete gravel bikes for sale, they appear to be nearly 100% 1x setups. So I guess that's where the market converged.

We're mostly roadies in this forum, so I wanted to ask you all. What are we thinking on 1x vs 2x on "gravel" bikes these days? Figure that the bike will need to roll well on pavement and gravel and I'm not going to be going into deep mud or anything totally stupid.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2024, 12:46 PM

Both of my gravel bikes are 1x (10spd 11-48 w/ a 42T ring, and 12spd 10-51 w/a 40T) with plenty of pavement miles on them and I haven’t yet wished for a front derailleur.

Last edited by dmitrik4; 06-12-2024 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:58 PM

All my bikes are 1x. I don't suspect I’ll ever consider a bike with a front derailleur again.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:58 PM

I think that this is a "it depends" thing. Does your gravel bike do double duty on and off road? How hilly is the terrain you ride? I like 2X to get a wide gearing range with reasonably close ratios. Many of my friends are sold on 1X. I'm thankful we have so many options to choose from.

Greg
Old 06-12-2024, 01:01 PM
Back At It!

I know Ben Delaney from "The Ride" youtube channel (and may other cycling journalism) is a big fan of 2x as it lets him find a better cadence usually (if I remember what he said correctly, but he is also a very strong rider who is often at the pointy end of a race).. I suppose if you need a big high gear, you might want a 2x.. for me, when I get a gravel bike, it will mostly likely be a 1x unless it is going to be "the only bike" scenario, then I would probably want 2x with a smaller chainset..

but for most of us mere mortals who are going to be mostly on dirt/gravel/trails, I would think a modern 1x would be plenty.. and, for me, would probably be fine on any pavement ride I'd do as well if I'm honest with myself..

Last edited by fourflys; 06-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:02 PM

I'm so leaning towards 1x, because the simplicity really speaks to me.

My last "all-road" bike was actually ridden mostly on the road so the 1x was a limitation. I'm thinking it wouldn't be such a big deal on actual "gravel" or whatever...
Old 06-12-2024, 01:08 PM
#RYFB

FWIW, someone asked me a similar question about my new Bixxis that has Ekar. Maybe my thought process is helpful?

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...1&postcount=21
Old 06-12-2024, 01:14 PM

Well I think it all depends on your riding terrain.

I have 2 gravel bikes both GRX, one is setup 42 w11-42 cassette and it is good for most but there are rides that I know I will suffer climbing. My other bike has 48/31 w11-34 or 11-36 and I like this quite a lot. I ride this bike on many "road" rides as it isich better for crappy roads. I ride 700x40 on both gravel bikes because that's all I can fit.

All that said I live close to mountain climbs I can hit 30min from my house by bike. Could I live with 1x sure would probably go for 11-46 or 11-50 cassettes. I didn't like the 40t up front for flat rides but that is also an option.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:20 PM

I agree with GregL - it depends. Gearing selection is based on the desired high and low gear ratios (i.e. gear range), and the acceptable differential between gear ratios (i.e. the "gear jumps") between gear combinations. The gearing selection will be different for different riding environments and terrain.

For MTB riding in my area, a wide range is generally desired, but due to the rapidly varying grades and surfaces, larger jumps between gearing are not only tolerated, but sometimes even desired. Here a 1x setup can work fine.

However, for road riding around here, the desired gear range is not quite as wide as for MTB, but many riders prefer smaller jumps between gears to fine tune cadence. So 2x setups are generally desired to get a wide range but still have moderate size gear jumps.

It's good that both 1x and 2x are both available, and I think the demand for 2x will be around for quite a bit longer.

(Despite the claims the contrary, 2x gearing is also still a bit more efficient than 1x. On top of the ability to better fine tune cadence, 2x can have better mechanical efficiency as well. Firstly, 2x can often use a larger outer chainring, which by itself is more efficient than using a smaller chainrings. Secondly, 2x can have smaller chain angles, as one tends to use the outer chainring only with the top sprockets of the cassette, and the inner chainring for only the bottom sprockets of the cassette. And finally, if a narrow-wide chainring is used with a 1x, there is slightly more friction between the chain and chainring.)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:24 PM

I only do the road. I'm all 2x and 3x. I have no use for 1x and it's too ugly to be seen with anyway
Old 06-12-2024, 01:35 PM

If you're riding on road most of the time, 2x. If you're on dirt and softer stuff most of the time, 1x. With increasingly huge cassettes the gap is narrowing.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:39 PM

I think. Ride what ya like.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
For MTB riding in my area, a wide range is generally desired, but due to the rapidly varying grades and surfaces, larger jumps between gearing are not only tolerated, but sometimes even desired. Here a 1x setup can work fine.

However, for road riding around here, the desired gear range is not quite as wide as for MTB, but many riders prefer smaller jumps between gears to fine tune cadence. So 2x setups are generally desired to get a wide range but still have moderate size gear jumps.

It's good that both 1x and 2x are both available, and I think the demand for 2x will be around for quite a bit longer.

(Despite the claims the contrary, 2x gearing is also still a bit more efficient than 1x. On top of the ability to better fine tune cadence, 2x can have better mechanical efficiency as well. Firstly, 2x can often use a larger outer chainring, which by itself is more efficient than using a smaller chainrings. Secondly, 2x can have smaller chain angles, as one tends to use the outer chainring only with the top sprockets of the cassette, and the inner chainring for only the bottom sprockets of the cassette. And finally, if a narrow-wide chainring is used with a 1x, there is slightly more friction between the chain and chainring.)
Totally agree with all this.

1X on my MTB is fine once I get to the trail. I ride to the trail a majority of the time, and the 1x is pretty "eh" even riding a MTB on the road. I suspect if I was in an area with long extended easy flat/straight stretches offroad I might even find 1x annoying there.

Gravel here implies "mixed terrain" IMO which means you are riding a fair bit on the pavement and I have always done 2x with a 50/34 + 11-30 setup. That has pretty much always been enough for that bike. On the really tough MTB stuff I just tended to not ride that gravel bike cause the MTB was a far far better choice for that ride. IMO the gravel bike has always been for the ultra easy trails, stuff a jeep could go on.

Pure Road I can't even imagine using 1x here. 53/39 and I'm using both rings every ride for sure, and using the 53 a considerable amount of the time even riding alone.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:35 PM
Sunshine

My gravel bike is 2x and I love it.

Most gravel rides start and end at my house, so the rides are 20-40% pavement, depending on ride length.

2x is great on pavement and my gravel roads are just roads that arent paved- so the same type of gearing makes sense to me, the only change is a bit wider range to account for larger tire size, softer surface, and punchier climbs compared to paved roads.

I dont ride in conditions where 2x is detrimental due to collected mud.

A 48/32 crankset with an 11-36 cassette has been perfect for me for years. I guess if I change how/where I ride and the 2x becomes an issue, I will change. Until then though, I am sticking with it.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:43 PM

I've combined a SRAM 10-44 cassette with a Shimano GRX 46/30 crank to get a range of 675%. The 30/44 produces 4.3mph at 80 rpm.

SRAM 1x only has a 440% range. I've got that too, with a 46T chain ring, but it's on a Cervelo Rouvida with up to 250 watts of motor assist. I've done 13% grades with a 10-36 cassette. I haven't used the maximum power yet. I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the 10-44.