Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 01:45 PM

Cargo bikes experience?

I have a baby now and I would like to get a cargo bike to transport the little dude around. I like the CETMA one (https://cetmacargo.com/). Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 01-07-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I have a baby now and I would like to get a cargo bike to transport the little dude around. I like the CETMA one (https://cetmacargo.com/). Anyone have any other recommendations?
I can't speak broadly, but I've had a Trek Transport and also a Salsa Blackborow and have loved both and use them often. I mounted tandem stem to seatpost and my daughter would ride atop the platform in back and enjoyed it. Congrats on your addition and hope you have fun with the same.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:44 PM
DELETE ACCNT

If you are in more tighter situations, like city streets/grocery store/etc, I prefer a long rear cargo bike. They are more agile w/ tighter turning circle, bigger wheels for comfort.

I have the Yuba Mundo, which is great. Kid seat mounts to the back, and they can grow into just sitting w/ their own bars. I have the Yuba Monkey Bars on the back which helps alot with cargo and kid.
Yuba Spicy Curry and Supermarche are newer versions.

The front lower basket has advantages but didn't work for me.
Also would highly recommend getting an e-bike for cargo. It is a gamechanger, would never do it without.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:

I’ve been lusting after an Omnium after seeming them widely used in Spain by both messengers and regular people. Light, capable, and available in various wheelbases and configurations, including e-assist and Titanium frames. Their mini and mini max models could be hauled up and down stairs without too much trouble. Unlike a Bullit, which are also great, but almost need their own garage stall. https://omniumcargo.dk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I hadn’t seen the Cetma—looks like a very similar design to the Bullit. Our local shop had a Bullit and loaded kegs of beer on it regularly. It has Shimano steps or whatever their e system is called. The low center of gravity would be great for a kid.

When I was a young father in 1992, I did an MB-0 with Burley trailer in tow. I could get $150 of groceries wedged in around my kid. It was our second car.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:36 PM

Cetma has some flex but is plush and maneuverable. I have nothing but lousy things to say about our dealings with Lane as a dealer but I digress. He makes a good product.

I'm curious what you may have ridden? I think in this case trying to get ahold of some to ride is a good idea.

A Bullitt is fast and stiff and smaller payload. More of a messenger rig than a kid hauler IMO

Riesse and Muller and Urban Arrow make amazing e-cargo bikes. So capable...Douze from France as well but good luck getting one.

Ever ride a longtail like an Xtracycle? They ride great...really great but of course less payload but more like a bike. Evan Benno's ride okay but not as good IMO.

Yuba are lousy IMO but people like em and they are okay for the $ vs say a RAD Wagon which are complete junk.

No idea if this helps just riffing.

Used is possible but it seems they just get passed on to friends or through social media groups.

Is this just to take the kid along or more second car type of thing?
Old 01-07-2021, 05:42 PM

Ymmv, but I loved having my daughter up front with me on a Yelp Mini.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:50 PM

FWIW CETMA should be avoided as they have a long history of taking money and either not delivering or only delivering after months or years of waiting.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:54 PM

I want it for fun but also for some car like usages. We are a one car family.
I have ridden these types of bikes before but not with a child. The long tales are better bikes but I don’t really care about that.

I definitely want him upfront.
All of the long tail things are totally uninteresting to me.
Not interested in electric.

A front load kid hauler cargo solution is what I want. Trying to figure out the different brands and their pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Cetma has some flex but is plush and maneuverable. I have nothing but lousy things to say about our dealings with Lane as a dealer but I digress. He makes a good product.

I'm curious what you may have ridden? I think in this case trying to get ahold of some to ride is a good idea.

A Bullitt is fast and stiff and smaller payload. More of a messenger rig than a kid hauler IMO

Riesse and Muller and Urban Arrow make amazing e-cargo bikes. So capable...Douze from France as well but good luck getting one.

Ever ride a longtail like an Xtracycle? They ride great...really great but of course less payload but more like a bike. Evan Benno's ride okay but not as good IMO.

Yuba are lousy IMO but people like em and they are okay for the $ vs say a RAD Wagon which are complete junk.

No idea if this helps just riffing.

Used is possible but it seems they just get passed on to friends or through social media groups.

Is this just to take the kid along or more second car type of thing?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I want it for fun but also for some car like usages. We are a one car family.
I have ridden these types of bikes before but not with a child. The long tales are better bikes but I don’t really care about that.

I definitely want him upfront.
All of the long tail things are totally uninteresting to me.
Not interested in electric.

A front load kid hauler cargo solution is what I want. Trying to figure out the different brands and their pros and cons.
Got it.

Bullitts are stiffened just as you would imagine harsher over bumps vs a steel bike like a Cetma. Omniums are very agile and sit someplace in-between especially the longer version. Ominium are sold through Haven Cycles in NY it looks like. No idea about shipping and availability these days. Last I heard a friend was on a pre-order list or something and it would be 4-5 months.

My friend Dave Wilson @ Firth & Wilson will make you an Omnium style right in Philly. Great guy...maybe you know them?
Old 01-07-2021, 06:45 PM

I went Xtracycle Edgerunner but really wanted a bakfiets. I might eventually get one with a rain cover. We are usually a one car family too (I buy/sell as a hobby). We have two 60# dogs, a 2 y/o and one on the way. I can do the two dogs plus the toddler on the Xtra right now. There's room for the next one once she's out of the trailer. Not sure any other bike in the world could swing that.

I used our Burley trailer with suspension and low pressure tires for a while since the babe was confined to a carseat. Probably 6mos->1 year (whenever she hit 30 pounds, limit for the first car seat).
Old 01-07-2021, 07:01 PM

Porteur or Frances Cycles

Congrats on the lil' one, Ryan. Up front is the way to go for all the interaction during rides. Don't overlook a porteur. When I was still in Manhattan we didn't have a car, so relied on a converted Kogswell P/R. Paired with upright swept back h'bars and a sturdy Ursus dual leg kickstand, it was an unstoppable kids' bike. It carried two kids with ease, with a removable Yepp Mini seat up front (<30lbs) that could be swapped over to the wife's bike in seconds, and a larger Yepp Maxi behind the saddle (<55lb) for our older kid.

I always wanted to commission a custom Frances Cycles Small Haul or MixteHaul, though didn't have storage options at the time -http://www.francescycles.com/

Quote:
Old 01-07-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortribs View Post
Congrats on the lil' one, Ryan. Up front is the way to go for all the interaction during rides. Don't overlook a porteur. When I was still in Manhattan we didn't have a car, so relied on a converted Kogswell P/R. Paired with upright swept back h'bars and a sturdy Ursus dual leg kickstand, it was an unstoppable kids' bike. It carried two kids with ease, with a removable Yepp Mini seat up front (<30lbs) that could be swapped over to the wife's bike in seconds, and a larger Yepp Maxi behind the saddle (<55lb) for our older kid.

I always wanted to commission a custom Frances Cycles Small Haul or MixteHaul, though didn't have storage options at the time -http://www.francescycles.com/

I was going to mention Frances and I bet BT knows them I just have zero experience besides staring at them :-)
Old 01-07-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
FWIW CETMA should be avoided as they have a long history of taking money and either not delivering or only delivering after months or years of waiting.
Thanks for the warning
Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 PM

I went the other direction and towed our fella behind in the traditional burley. this was bike path and neighborhood, nothing with traffic. Could strap a car seat in and helmet when upright in the seat. If I could get to grocery on bike to include in our trips, I would have gone full cargo bike.

Looking ahead, check out balance bikes now and you’ll be amazed how quickly they pick up on that skill as soon as upright and walking.

Whatever you pick, enjoy! I love riding with our whole fam. And congrats.