Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2022, 11:25 AM

OT - Does anyone here work for Blue Origin?

Thinking about taking a job with them and would like to get more first hand knowledge. I would work in Denver.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:15 PM

If you ever receive a text from Jeff Bezos...don't open it. Kinda like receiving one from Brett Farve. The pic might be unsettling

Word to the wise, wear a cowboy hat to the interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Thinking about taking a job with them and would like to get more first hand knowledge. I would work in Denver.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:47 AM

are you a rocket scientist

inquiring minds would be interested to know.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:01 AM

I have two acquaintances who have/do work in the Seattle area for Blue Origin. #1 started his career at Space X where they managed to make the job his entire life for several years. Switching to Blue Origin allowed him to develop an outside life and at least try to get back into riding and living outside work. Work/life balance was what they sold him on when recruiting and he does have very special expertise, but over time it has tended to slide into 80-hour weeks if he lets it.

Guy #2 is a manufacturing engineer like me with an excellent aerospace resume. He went in loving it for the initial break-in period. Things went south when they started pressuring him to work late/come in on Sat/Sun. He has talent that lets him move at will, so he did.

Just 2nd hand examples, so they are only worth what you're paying of course.

The first case is still there and would recommend taking a job if you have the strength to say no when things get unreasonable. The work is rewarding in what he has accomplished, and the benefits are also nice. The 2nd case would also say it's worth consideration; even though it didn't end well for him, he enjoyed the work which made it too easy for them to take over his life. His departure caused a bit of a culture change in that department as the loss of a talented worker should.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:42 PM
Everything is connected

Rumor on the street is that there are some recent openings in the New Shepard program…https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-sa...investigation/
Old 09-17-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
I have two acquaintances who have/do work in the Seattle area for Blue Origin. #1 started his career at Space X where they managed to make the job his entire life for several years. Switching to Blue Origin allowed him to develop an outside life and at least try to get back into riding and living outside work. Work/life balance was what they sold him on when recruiting and he does have very special expertise, but over time it has tended to slide into 80-hour weeks if he lets it.

Guy #2 is a manufacturing engineer like me with an excellent aerospace resume. He went in loving it for the initial break-in period. Things went south when they started pressuring him to work late/come in on Sat/Sun. He has talent that lets him move at will, so he did.

Just 2nd hand examples, so they are only worth what you're paying of course.

The first case is still there and would recommend taking a job if you have the strength to say no when things get unreasonable. The work is rewarding in what he has accomplished, and the benefits are also nice. The 2nd case would also say it's worth consideration; even though it didn't end well for him, he enjoyed the work which made it too easy for them to take over his life. His departure caused a bit of a culture change in that department as the loss of a talented worker should.
I worked with guy #1 for a while about working at Blue Origin when I took the severance at KC. I submitted my resume and was contacted by several folks, including people at the Spaceport in Van Horn, TX. I didn't want to live in Van Horn, even with the generous salary. The money wasn't good enough in the Seattle area to have a reasonably comfortable existence. Everyone I know in engineering say it's a workaholic situation.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:03 AM

I guess yes technically I could be considered a rocket scientist. I am really looking for the best $/work life balance. The job could possibly be 70% more than I make now, but in a more expensive city... It does seem much cooler than what I am doing now which is appealing.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I guess yes technically I could be considered a rocket scientist. I am really looking for the best $/work life balance. The job could possibly be 70% more than I make now, but in a more expensive city... It does seem much cooler than what I am doing now which is appealing.
With a name like that I would have guessed you were in IT.