Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

New Fulcrum Sharq wheels - are wavy rims the next thing?

Fulcrum has just released their new Sharq wheel, which features a wavy rim, somewhat like the Zipp NSW wheels and various Princeton Carbonworks wheels:

https://sharq.fulcrumwheels.com/en/

Will wavy rims be the next "thing" in wheels? Is it just a fad, or will it last? (Remember when Rolf made paired spoke wheels, and then a number of other brands big and small followed (including Bontrager, Shimano, Alex, Gipiemme, etc.), only to later return to standard lacing when the fad wore off?) It is interesting to note that none of these brands claim that the wavy rims reduce drag or decrease weight or inertia. Instead, Fulcrum and Zipp claim better cross-wind performance, while Princeton claims better spoke tension balance.

It's also interesting to note that these Fulcrum wavy rims appeared after Princeton Carbonworks' success legal defense after being sued for patent infringement by Zipp/SRAM (who claimed rights over the wavy rim concept). A great many other bicycle component patents also carry little weight, and would also likely not stand up in legal challenge. For example, Campagnolo (parent of Fulcrum brand) should have used interchangeable front and rear derailleur batteries on their new Super Record WRL group, as SRAMs patent for this feature is probably also invalid. After Princeton Carbonworks' successful defense, maybe Campagnolo and other companies will finally grow spines and stand up to our broken patent system.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Meh

It’s funny how Rolf is now owned by White Industries. No sign of the paired spoke thing anywhere as far as I can tell, but I really like their Astral Cycling sub-brand.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

These must save at least 50W.

I feel bad for everyone who buys the newest/claimed fastest thing every year, they're going to have to buy new wheels immediately.

LOL just listened to Chris Horner rant about how dumb the watt savings claims are in the industry right now.

These look really cool.. I wonder though. Does the wave shape disappear due to motion blur if you watch a rider going down the road and you can only see it in their action shots due to high shutter speed on the camera?

Do you see the wave pattern emerge when a rider is riding at a certain speed and then blur at others and then have the backwards rolling illusion at others? That'd be cool.

Last edited by benb; Yesterday at 10:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

I don't know if there's any functional benefit to the wave shape, but if someone likes the way they look, that's more than enough reason to buy them in my book.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

They sure look cool...
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I don't know if there's any functional benefit to the wave shape, but if someone likes the way they look, that's more than enough reason to buy them in my book.
My thought is you might get some additional aero benefit relative to the shallower section but with less crosswind impact?

If the moving wheel acts more like the deeper section then theoretically it's better than just taking the average depth.

Conjecture on my part, but I'm sure that's what marketing says. Maybe rim strength too as the deeper sections tend to be where the spokes are... so maybe they're lighter since you can use shorter spokes?
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
It’s funny how Rolf is now owned by White Industries. No sign of the paired spoke thing anywhere as far as I can tell, but I really like their Astral Cycling sub-brand.
All Rolf branded wheels still use paired spokes. Paired spokes vary by how close together the paired spokes are, but all the spokes are separated out in pairs.

Rolf makes their own aluminum rims. Astral was started as a way to increase their rim sales, so traditional spoke drilling was used on Astral rim to allow them to be used with traditional hubs (paired spokes require special hubs).
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
These look really cool.. I wonder though. Does the wave shape disappear due to motion blur if you watch a rider going down the road and you can only see it in their action shots due to high shutter speed on the camera?

Do you see the wave pattern emerge when a rider is riding at a certain speed and then blur at others and then have the backwards rolling illusion at others? That'd be cool.
The wave pattern can be seen in their most important setting - sitting outside the cafe, trying to impress your riding buddies.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
(snip) maybe Campagnolo and other companies will finally grow spines and stand up to our broken patent system.
I found it amusing that the linked page for these wheels says that their rim design is patent-pending. Seems like Campy's on board with the broken patent system (just like everyone else).
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

I'm "wavy curious" since I live in a very windy area and am tall so getting pushed around by the wind is a regular occurence. I also see the move to a 25/30 inner/outer rim as a major step forward for Campy/Fulcrum. I can see these going for $2,000 soon so if the above two items are wins for you these will be a very compelling option versus Zipp NSW and Princeton.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I thought Rolf was swallowed by the S people? White Industries? Who knew? Other than, well, you, I mean. I didn't.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I thought Rolf was swallowed by the S people? White Industries? Who knew? Other than, well, you, I mean. I didn't.
Rolf and Spinergy are the two wheels brands still around that I never see anyone riding. Weird.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
https://www.whiteind.com/white-indus...ral-cycling-2/
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Astral needs to make a selection of polished Al wheels!!!
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Astral needs to make a selection of polished Al wheels!!!
Done and dusted:

https://astralcycling.com/products/l...tries-cld-hubs