Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2021, 07:00 PM

Campy right shifting issues

Driving me crazy, Chorus RD shifts recently are often either not shifting, or going 2 cogs at a time, in either direction, and at various ends of the cassette. Can't figure it out. Thoughts? I've tried tons of barrel adjusting, and hi/low limits seem ok.

Thinking about a shifter replacement. Is this pretty much all I'd need if I go this route?

https://www.benscycle.com/campagnolo...25748-ld9090/p
Old 01-30-2021, 07:03 PM

Take it apart first.
It's pretty easy. Just keep track of your parts and orientation.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 PM

I want to hop onto this. I'm also getting this and it is really irritating. There is one part of my cassette that always shifts up or down two cogs at a time...and it that part moves up and down the cassette a little bit depending on how I have the barrel adjuster set. I would be interested to know if the paceline has seen this before or if I am just crazy.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:37 PM

Send it to Old Potato
Old 01-30-2021, 08:01 PM

How old are your cables? I've found with 11spd I need to replace the cables annually, 5,000 miles. With 10 spd I could go almost 2 years.

Also, on 11 speed the cassette spacers are prone to cracking and eventually breaking apart. I buy several at a time. There are two sizes in the cassette.

My recommendation, the brifters is fine, my SRs have 15,000 on them, and two crashes with no work needed. The cables and spacers need regular love however.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:16 PM

Well that could be a ton of things. Here's what I'd check in order of what I think it might be-

-Cassette loose or damaged. Will certainly affect shifting and give you the feelings you're describing
-Bent hanger (with a tool!!)
-Bent derailleur body, cage, or pulley wheels
-Damage to cable or housing including inside the ferrules or frame stops and inside the shifter. Replace the cable anyways, be 100% it's routed correctly from where it enters the shifter to which side of the bolt it's clamped on at the derailleur
-B limit, though it doesn't really move on its own it might just be wrong

Then and only then would I think it may be the shifter. If it's any of the problems above, a new shifter won't do a thing.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:17 PM

The 11 speed stuff is pretty dead simple for shifter internals. I would very much think it's one of the other suggestions here and not the shifter. Not like some G springs go snap in the night.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:17 PM

OK... since no one has brought it up... is your RD hanger straight and true?

Last edited by thwart; 01-30-2021 at 08:20 PM. Reason: well, at least until a couple of us posted it at the same time...
Old 01-30-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
How old are your cables? I've found with 11spd I need to replace the cables annually, 5,000 miles. With 10 spd I could go almost 2 years.

Also, on 11 speed the cassette spacers are prone to cracking and eventually breaking apart. I buy several at a time. There are two sizes in the cassette.

My recommendation, the brifters is fine, my SRs have 15,000 on them, and two crashes with no work needed. The cables and spacers need regular love however.
Cables are maybe about 1500 miles old. Cassette is about the same age and the chain likewise.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I want to hop onto this. I'm also getting this and it is really irritating. There is one part of my cassette that always shifts up or down two cogs at a time...and it that part moves up and down the cassette a little bit depending on how I have the barrel adjuster set. I would be interested to know if the paceline has seen this before or if I am just crazy.
Yeah sounds similar, but sometimes it doesn't shift at all, and another click then will move it 2 cogs. Drives me crazy sometimes trying to get the cog that I want.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Well that could be a ton of things. Here's what I'd check in order of what I think it might be-

-Cassette loose or damaged. Will certainly affect shifting and give you the feelings you're describing
-Bent hanger (with a tool!!)
-Bent derailleur body, cage, or pulley wheels
-Damage to cable or housing including inside the ferrules or frame stops and inside the shifter. Replace the cable anyways, be 100% it's routed correctly from where it enters the shifter to which side of the bolt it's clamped on at the derailleur
-B limit, though it doesn't really move on its own it might just be wrong

Then and only then would I think it may be the shifter. If it's any of the problems above, a new shifter won't do a thing.
I rechecked and torqued the cassette to make sure it wasn't lose to the std I think 40Nm.
Hopefully not a bent derailleur, not sure how this could have happened. It's a really solid chunky hanger on a Merlin Ti from early 2000s

A bent derailleur body sounds plausible in that I'm thinking if there was an impact this would bend a lot more easily than the hanger that my bike has, but not sure how to check for this.

I'll check the cables, but as I mentioned previously, they're fairly new Campy brand.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:04 PM
il Curmudgeoni

If the levers are not engaging the teeth it could mean that the bolts at either end of the shift assembly are not tight.

The front one can be accessed by taking off the brake lever; the push pin is directional, inside to outside. To get to the back one you have to remove the body from the handlebar.

Last edited by choke; 01-30-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
It's a really solid chunky hanger on a Merlin Ti from early 2000s
Surprising how often a bent hanger is the issue causing weird shifting issues... even for the 'chunky' among us.

But it is winter (semi-blizzard conditions here as I type), and the cable router under the BB could well be full of schmutz.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:43 PM

Does the rear derailleur move at all when there is no shift or it moves towards the next cog and comes back? I had the latter problem for a while and was able to adjust shifting to work correctly for now.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I rechecked and torqued the cassette to make sure it wasn't lose to the std I think 40Nm.
Hopefully not a bent derailleur, not sure how this could have happened. It's a really solid chunky hanger on a Merlin Ti from early 2000s

A bent derailleur body sounds plausible in that I'm thinking if there was an impact this would bend a lot more easily than the hanger that my bike has, but not sure how to check for this.

I'll check the cables, but as I mentioned previously, they're fairly new Campy brand.
The list above is how I would approach it. Also check the cable under the bottom bracket - I have had gunk build up and affect shifting.

Bent hanger has proven to be a problem for many (me included). Park (and many others) sell a tool to check and correct this. Your local decent bike store can do this for you.

The 11 spd should be working perfectly. This vintage shouldn't need replacement of the shifters - unless physically damaged. C