Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 06:03 PM

Fat Chance feedback for a friend.

Hi there:

An old friend of mine (who got me interested in bikes, so I love this guy!) has been long out of the cycling game and is looking to get a new bike. He wants a 'road' bike (not sure what type of tire clearance yet) and has the resources to get a nice bike, though he's hesitant to blow massive sums of money (we will see about that!). Not sure what he plans for the drivetrain yet - he is a Campy guy, so I am guessing/hoping for Chorus 12spd, personally . Anyways, could be electric, could be mechanical - no idea.

He has just said he spoke with Chris Chance and he will build a ti road frame (+ fork?) for $3600 with a ten week turnaround time. I love me some vintage Fat, but somehow I feel that his return to the business wasnt the most well-received. I have no idea why, so I want to preface that, as the frames I see look beautiful and I have no doubt that they ride great as well - there is something nagging in me that wonders why my buddy wouldnt order a Desalvo, or a Caletti or a Seven or a No22 or any number of other bikes in that mid-range (vs a Moots or a Firefly in the top of the range).

Does anyone have a MODERN titanium Fat Chance? Is it made by Seven or someone else? Are they good bikes? The ten week turnaround is obviously very fast at the moment as I know small builders are a year or more out. I suppose that the immediacy of a short turnaround appeals, but I would argue that 20yrs of waiting means he could wait one more year to get something else.

For reference, he would ride a 50-52cm bike and weighs maybe 140lbs. He is the same fit looking guy as he was when we were 20yrs old (though I know he's really out of shape!)

I know he is chasing his dream of a Fat Chance and I dont want to rain on his parade - if theyre nice bikes and he gets the Fat he never had as a young guy, why not, right?

Thanks for your feedback!

Darren
Old 05-16-2022, 06:24 PM
Back At It!

no personal experience, but I gotta agree, there's a lot of choices for $3600 that are more established.. Maybe the Fat Chance would be great, but I'm not that adventurous I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Hi there:

An old friend of mine (who got me interested in bikes, so I love this guy!) has been long out of the cycling game and is looking to get a new bike. He wants a 'road' bike (not sure what type of tire clearance yet) and has the resources to get a nice bike, though he's hesitant to blow massive sums of money (we will see about that!). Not sure what he plans for the drivetrain yet - he is a Campy guy, so I am guessing/hoping for Chorus 12spd, personally . Anyways, could be electric, could be mechanical - no idea.

He has just said he spoke with Chris Chance and he will build a ti road frame (+ fork?) for $3600 with a ten week turnaround time. I love me some vintage Fat, but somehow I feel that his return to the business wasnt the most well-received. I have no idea why, so I want to preface that, as the frames I see look beautiful and I have no doubt that they ride great as well - there is something nagging in me that wonders why my buddy wouldnt order a Desalvo, or a Caletti or a Seven or a No22 or any number of other bikes in that mid-range (vs a Moots or a Firefly in the top of the range).

Does anyone have a MODERN titanium Fat Chance? Is it made by Seven or someone else? Are they good bikes? The ten week turnaround is obviously very fast at the moment as I know small builders are a year or more out. I suppose that the immediacy of a short turnaround appeals, but I would argue that 20yrs of waiting means he could wait one more year to get something else.

For reference, he would ride a 50-52cm bike and weighs maybe 140lbs. He is the same fit looking guy as he was when we were 20yrs old (though I know he's really out of shape!)

I know he is chasing his dream of a Fat Chance and I dont want to rain on his parade - if theyre nice bikes and he gets the Fat he never had as a young guy, why not, right?

Thanks for your feedback!

Darren
Old 05-16-2022, 06:45 PM

Haven’t seen a new one in IRL, and haven’t heard much about them since the brand relaunch in 2016.

Back then I believe the plans were to have Stinner build some (or all?) of them.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:57 PM

good information. I was wondering about Stinner as an option. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2022, 07:12 PM

That price appears pretty, or more than, reasonable. Externally butted. Chris knows his stuff, from reading his website, building in-house although road ti isn't listed: https://fatchance.bike/yo-eddy-in-titanium/

Standard Features:

Designed and handmade in our shop in Oregon.
Externally butted top and down tubes and a special welded titanium insert for the seatpost fit.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:39 PM

Sounds like the titanium ones are new and not out in the wild yet. I know a ti bike isn’t rocket science, but I feel like FC would be drawing on 20yr old expertise?

Alternatively, as I don’t think he rides a weird size, I’ve suggested finding a slightly used Moots Routt or similar for 1/2 price…
Old 05-16-2022, 08:27 PM

I don't have firsthand experience with the Fat Chance bikes, but Mr. Chance has many connections, and there's no shortage of titanium expertise in southern Oregon.

If that's the bike that appeals to your friend, I say just go for it.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 PM
Vendor

Some comments about long wait times: https://fatcogs.com/forums/new-fat-c...discussion.19/
Old 05-16-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Some comments about long wait times: https://fatcogs.com/forums/new-fat-c...discussion.19/
Thanks - yes, this is what I wonder about. He’s starting ti operations whereas there are many that have been going full tilt for decades!

I think Mosaic has a pretty good track record for producing nice bikes quickly - I made that suggestion, but when I talked to him tonight, he seems pretty vested in Chance bikes!

He’s old school trying to go new school - he wants mechanical Campy but can deal w disc brakes
Old 05-17-2022, 06:02 AM

You can't go back. And neither can your friend with a Slim Chance.

The vibe is gone as is the segmented road fork.

But it's his money; don't sweat HIS choices.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Thanks - yes, this is what I wonder about. He’s starting ti operations whereas there are many that have been going full tilt for decades!

I think Mosaic has a pretty good track record for producing nice bikes quickly - I made that suggestion, but when I talked to him tonight, he seems pretty vested in Chance bikes!

He’s old school trying to go new school - he wants mechanical Campy but can deal w disc brakes
I think Co-Motion is making the steel bikes; perhaps he has semi-merged with them? Does Co-Motion make ti? They look pretty sweet to me.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:47 PM

Get the Titanium Fat Chance and find good used Chorus 12 speed parts. Or maybe 11 speed.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
I think Co-Motion is making the steel bikes; perhaps he has semi-merged with them? Does Co-Motion make ti? They look pretty sweet to me.
Interesting - I never thought of Co-Motion and somehow it seems a fitting option for Fat Chance . . . .
Old 05-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If I wanted a really nice custom Ti road bike the first (and probably only) person I'd call would be Carl Strong.

https://www.strongframes.com/
Old 05-17-2022, 06:02 PM

take a look at Sycip too
https://www.sycip.com/shop
you have to click through on a paritcular to see the price list but I think it's the same for all styles, starting at $2,500 or $3,500 for steel/Al or Ti respectively