Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 11:23 PM

Steve Potts at the SOMA Shop

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...5&search=potts

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...5&search=potts

NEW! Steve Potts Type II-R Forks
We only have a couple of dozen of each version.
The distinctive Type II design that Mountain Bike Hall of Fame inductee,
Steve Potts has been custom fabricating for decades.
Thru-axle with 3-pack mounts. Butted CrMo steel.
The Type II-R's are made by Tange, the tubing and fork maker,
but are designed by Steve Potts.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 PM

Phwoooaaarrr that's well into custom fork territory. Surprised to see them charging that much I must be honest.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:00 AM

As a huge fan of Steve Potts, I have a hard time with a $500 soma fork. I know his own forks are $1000, but there are custom builders that could make a fork for you for a measly $500 (less for some).

That said, with the building quality of welders in Taiwan, it’s probably as good as a Potts without the cache and half the price ?!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 AM

Yikes. I wonder what Steve thinks about this….

Personally I don’t think I’d ever buy a soma knockoff. I’d rather just pony up for the real deal
Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Yikes. I wonder what Steve thinks about this….

Personally I don’t think I’d ever buy a soma knockoff. I’d rather just pony up for the real deal
I assume since they're using his name that he's on board and being compensated. He's promoting them on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRf1DPUlgiv/

It's not a knockoff, it's a licensed product.

I don't know if it's worth it over other forks, but in my book, the more opportunities for frame builders to capitalize on their names.and reputations that aren't directly driven by their own manual labor, the better. He should be rewarded for all that he's done--he's earned it.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I assume since they're using his name that he's on board and being compensated. He's promoting them on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRf1DPUlgiv/

It's not a knockoff, it's a licensed product.

I don't know if it's worth it over other forks, but in my book, the more opportunities for frame builders to capitalize on their names.and reputations that aren't directly driven by their own manual labor, the better. He should be rewarded for all that he's done--he's earned it.
Fair enough. The decal didn’t look like his normal decal so I thought soma was knocking it off.

Personally the allure of getting a Steve potts frame/fork is his design and fabrication on something built for you but I suppose if stock works for you why not save $500
Old 07-31-2021, 02:24 AM

Yeah that's an expensive fork but I'm always surprised people are willing to pay $575 for an overseas made Enve but not the same for an overseas made steel fork.

The ISO spec on the gravel fork is odd, since most gravel riders will want flat mount.

And the 419 axle-to-crown spec is odd on the MTB fork, since it's not suspension corrected so it won't ride well as a retrofit to a MTB. You really need a custom frame designed around it.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:53 AM

I visited Steve last weekend and he is very proud of these forks. He's put a lot into making this happen and been in control of the process from the get go. He is now using some of the Tange made components on his customs because the quality is as good as, or better, than those from his prior supplier.

It is what it is. If minimum weight at all cost is your jam you have plenty of options, but until you've ridden a Type II do yourself a favor and keep an open mind. Best fork I've ever ridden.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 AM

Soma also did a collaboration with Rivendel some years back, where Grant designed the frame and Soma produced and sold it.

I really like what they are doing with their 2021 lineup so far, though I wish they had kept the Smoothie or ES around for another year or couple. The Doublecross, Pescadero, and Fog Cutter all seem like really wellt thought out products, and I like that they also have some fork options (a low trail, and carbon or steel for the fog cutter).

Not sure I'm sold on the new Grand Randonneur, but it's something different at least.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 07:18 AM

You guys think Tange can't build a fork?

LOL
Old 07-31-2021, 07:34 AM

Nice fork
Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 AM
Vendor

It's a really nice fork. Just put one on someones bike. Pricey even at wholesale. But the quality is there.

Steve is doing a bunch of stuff with Soma/Merry Sales (they own Soma and IRD and some other stuff). He's even got branded hubs now.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Yeah that's an expensive fork but I'm always surprised people are willing to pay $575 for an overseas made Enve but not the same for an overseas made steel fork.

The ISO spec on the gravel fork is odd, since most gravel riders will want flat mount.

And the 419 axle-to-crown spec is odd on the MTB fork, since it's not suspension corrected so it won't ride well as a retrofit to a MTB. You really need a custom frame designed around it.
It’s what Steve likes. I asked for flat mount when he built my frame/fork and he said he much prefers iso
Old 08-01-2021, 06:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

Jesus Christ paceline, this is a cool fork, obviously Potts is behind it, something different and interesting. And yall take this and just crap all over it. Stop this nonsense. Yes $500 is not cheap but it is the price. Or do we rather Soma not hook with with Potts and make this fork?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:14 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
It’s what Steve likes. I asked for flat mount when he built my frame/fork and he said he much prefers iso
It's easier to align an IS mount than flat mount. Less chance of brake rub like with many flat mount frames due to the faces not being flat or in plain.