Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2024, 02:04 PM

GPS unit question- looking for advice

After a long ride where far too often I had to pull out my phone to consult a map (and poorly in bright sun), I've started to think again about getting a GPS computer. My criteria are:
1. Affordable- used is just fine, trying to stay bellow $150
2. Reliable and repairable (easy enough to change when the internal battery looses its ability to hold a proper charge).
3. 98% for maps- I don't care about power, etc. I do appreciate speed, overall distance, etc. For example, I have a Garmin Forerunner 35 that checks most of the right boxes for me.
A local distributor has affordable models from IGOsport, but I've seen less than stellar reviews (device and app).
It seems that there is a sudden abundance of used Garmin's for sale, I don't know if that's because the algorithm sniffed out my interest, if it's a sign of the recession-inflation (see signs of that elsewhere for sure!), or if maybe older Garmin's aren't supported anymore (?)
I basically want to be able to make a map (Google maps or something similarly easy to use), and load it up to a simple device to guide me.
Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran, le 2024-06-03 à 15.03.48.jpg (28.7 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Robbos; 06-03-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:18 PM
n - 1

I use my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v2 for similar uses. Track mileage and navigation.
Simple and easy to use. As well as upload maps. I normally create routes on strava and upload.

They can be found used for $150 or less.

FYI, most of these have internal rechargeable batteries.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:19 PM

Start and end your search right here.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-edge-...ed-refurbished)

Comes in exactly at your price point and does what you need.
The only thing it won't let you do is change out the battery, but that is pretty much how all modern devices are these days.

Last edited by trener1; 06-03-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:20 PM

I've used both Wahoo and Garmin GPS units. Overall, I find the Wahoo GUI better and easier for most cycling functions, but for mapping Garmin has Wahoo beat, particularly in the "where am I now, and how to do I get to somewhere else" department. Wahoo navigation may work fine if you pre-program a route and stick to just that route, but the Garmin maps work better if you don't have a route programmed, or go off the route, or decide to change your route to a new destination. The thing I like about the Garmin maps is that it shows the names of the roads (Wahoo just diagrams the road with no names), and even if you don't have a route mapped, it shows you the name of the next intersecting road ahead.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:24 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-edge-...ed-refurbished)
Old 06-03-2024, 03:41 PM
Older Than You

You'll never get lost with a Karoo computer.
Unfortunately I can't find any used units for less than $220.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:48 PM

see DC Rainmaker article

See his good article below:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/05/...oo-review.html

I am a huge Wahoo fan but any of these would be good. I find that for a lot of my friends who are computer challenged the Wahoo works well as it is all controlled from the cell phone app vs other methods.

I have a Bolt2 but would buy a Roam2 now. The Bolt2 is $279 which is a great deal as same software as Roam just a smaller screen.

I have found w bike GPS that you get what you pay for so be careful on low priced options especially on usability and friendliness etc,

Alan

Last edited by Alan; 06-03-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 03:21 PM

I realized that the link that both I and Kppolich posted for some reason doesn't work, and maybe by now you have already figured it out, but it's a refurbished Garmin Edge explore for $139.95
At that price I would take that any day over something used or a chinese knockoff
Old 06-04-2024, 03:24 PM

I would recommend using a used marketplace search engine like Searchtempest and looking for used Garmin Edge 830s or something in that price range. You may be able to snatch one for $150
Old 06-04-2024, 06:16 PM

Karoo 2

I have a Karoo 2 that I would let go for $175 shipped.I switched back to Garmin in order to be able to monitor blood sugar on a data screen with the IQ app.The Karoo is in very good condition.NateM
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Thanks so much for the helpful replies and especially the link to the refurbished models!
Old Today, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
You'll never get lost with a Karoo computer.
Unfortunately I can't find any used units for less than $220.
They are not in the price range the OP mentioned, but I know they just released a new version maybe one can be found on the cheap in the classified? I 100% recommend the Karoo I love to wander and have an awful sense of direction. The ability to reprogram routes easily has bailed me out more than once. And it's the closest to just using a phone I have found.
Old Today, 08:00 AM

Used & refurb seems like a great way to go to get the price down. Perhaps looking for a unit that's not a current model and/or is a couple iterations out of date. Since cyclists all seem to upgrade stuff they might be out there.

I have a great sense of direction. Even if I get lost if I just keep riding and I eventually come across an intersection I've been through before that's enough for me to figure out which way to go, and once I've rode a route once I can often remember it again even if it's been years.

But I really really do like how Garmin just gives you the whole map for the whole US right there with no need for the cell network to work at all and you can also just look at the map and not use navigation. You're free to just kind of do whatever you want and not have to worry at all about using your phone. Ironically I find Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps pretty annoying when I pull over on the side of the road biking. None of them are actually built with cyclists in mind and IMO they really are worse than dedicated cycling computers *for us*.

Because I have a good sense the of direction I actually just glance at the map and make a decision (because it has names) a lot more than I program routes. Programming routes is kind of for travel into areas I have rode way less than normal in. For me that means a unit with good built in maps that labels streets and stuff is more pleasant to use. For a really remote tour the eTrex could have advantages as it runs on AA batteries and you can take spares, but it is clunkier on the bar cause of the increased thickness the batteries require.

If you really don't need power and all that you can look outside of the actual cycling computer market at general purpose handhelds. The Garmin eTrex 22x is $200 and can do the navigation stuff and there is a bike mount for it. You might look for an older used version though, because the 22x doesn't have a compass which means the map won't necessarily stay in the right orientation when you stop. Before I got an Edge unit I used the old eTrex Vista HCx for years for when I wanted to do navigation. It just didn't do any training type stuff at all and couldn't use bike sensors.

Last edited by benb; Today at 08:08 AM.
Old Today, 08:13 AM

I have a Garmin 530, but honestly, if I need to look at a map to figure out
a) where I am
and
b) where I want to go

...a phone's larger screen is very helpful, and I don't have a large phone. I need to see the big picture and a GPS unit is too limiting. The larger Garmin 10xx units may be better, but they still look small to me. And then there's glasses.......

Thx to others for showing where to get refurbs.
Old Today, 09:08 AM

Another vote for the bolt v2, even though the screen is almost too small, or my eyes are getting old...