Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 08:51 AM

Recomended touring brake

So the question is on opinions, disk or rim , the bike in question is a surly traverlers check or cross check not sure decals have been removed . Any way it has eyelets for front rack ,and rear etc was gona add both to spread the load, and im 240 lbs . I Have a beefy ti front fork that has same rake etc, to run at least a disc in the front . Do when this type of weight is concerned do tourers prefer disc for the most part ,or rim .
Old 08-18-2021, 08:58 AM

Disc or linear pull.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:12 AM

I think it depends on what your touring plans are. If for example you want to tour in remote places then you might consider the availability of parts for modern disk brakes. Are you touring off road? Lots of things to consider.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:39 AM

If you are serious touring you do not want to be reliant on a non easily repairable Ti fork. You want something that could be temporary repaired by a back yard welder. Steel, or your tour my be over before you intended.

I would also avoid disk brakes, way more easily repairable or replaceable rim brakes available in the wild.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think it depends on what your touring plans are. If for example you want to tour in remote places then you might consider the availability of parts for modern disk brakes. Are you touring off road? Lots of things to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
If you are serious touring you do not want to be reliant on a non easily repairable Ti fork. You want something that could be temporary repaired by a back yard welder. Steel, or your tour my be over before you intended.

I would also avoid disk brakes, way more easily repairable or replaceable rim brakes available in the wild.
Nothing wrong with being cautious but in my experience, if you start your tour with a solid bike in excellent mechanical condition you run an extremely small risk of breaking things.

Sure things happen (rare) but when is the last time someone had a brake fail? I'd say go with mechanical disc if worried.

The world is a much smaller place these days and high quality bike parts don't fail very often.

Where you headed?
Old 08-18-2021, 09:51 AM

I agree with the others above. It really depends where you’re going to be touring. My friends who have gone to very remote places (like across Siberia, Africa or South America) , used steel bikes with steel forks, and a mix of cantilever rim brakes and mechanical discs. Also, some even go with 26 inch wheels because they are by far the most available size of rims and tires in underdeveloped countries.

For my own tours in the United States in Europe, I use mechanical disc brakes and rim brakes. I use a full steel bike/steel fork with mostly either Ultegra or XT. That way, even in a small town bike shop in Spain, there’s a good likelihood they have any parts that I might need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
if you start your tour with a solid bike in excellent mechanical condition you run an extremely small risk of breaking things.
This^ Has been my experience also. Start with a bike in excellent mechanical shape. I always start a tour with nearly new tires, and even if I’m traveling overseas, I take the time to set them up tubeless once I arrive—and I’ve done several long tours with zero flats and zero mechanicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2021, 11:49 AM
Vendor

Mechanical disc brakes all the way (like TRP spyres) for the following reasons:

1. Better braking (especially for the weight of you and your bike)
2. Fender clearance. Trying to set up fenders with good clearance and larger tires with anything that isn't discs ranges from annoying to nightmare to impossible.
3. Superior wet weather performance.
4. Super packable replacement pads and parts.
5. Pannier and bag clearance (this depends on the bags and the canti's but it can be a problem)
6. Not hydraulic (though someone else can correct me/teach me re: roadside hydraulic repair)