Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 12:21 PM

New SRAM Red E1 shifters

When I got a new bike over 2 years ago I went with SRAM Red AXS parts. I've really liked the group but, at first, found the shape of the shifter hoods not quite right and the braking felt a bit stiff. I got used to it but was tempted by the new E1 shifters. So, I bought a pair and have some feedback if anyone is interested.

Plus: Hood shape is great, no more pressure on my thumbs by the tall pommels. And I can fit three fingers under them with one wrapped around the lever. Braking is much easier, as most reports have stated, and the levers are easier to reach from the drops. I also think they look better as photos had me not so sure.

Minus: The bonus buttons are way too small and give little feedback when pressed. Maybe I'll get used to them but, so far, they are not very useful. Also, the primary shift buttons have a different shape. The old ones were great, I could hit them from any angle with little thought. The new ones are taller but shorter front to back. Again, time may make it easier but I do have to think a bit more when reaching for them.

All in all I really like them and now have to sell the old ones. If anyone is interested just PM me. I'll put them in the classified once I figure out how to price them.

Tim
Old Today, 01:14 PM

It's great to hear your feedback on these. One of my friends had very similar feedback, and after giving his bike a spin, I would agree. The initial worries about the longer reach were nil for us, and the wrapped three fingers plus angled levers works really well.

However, unlike you, I'm not in a spot to upgrade either of my Red bikes and have another complete D1 kit in the closet for my next build
Old Today, 01:24 PM

I've put a couple pairs on my bikes and love them so far. Ergonomics are very improved for myself but the biggest improvement is the braking feel. It takes so little effort compared to the D1 shifters. One finger braking from the hoods is easily done. I also haven't found any issue with the added reach of the levers themselves.

I recently listed a my D1 shifters in near new condition for $425 if that helps. Settled for $400 because I didn't want them sitting around.